SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bourbon vs. Scotch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon vs. Scotch Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Shhhhh, quit taking about Old Overholt, Id like to keep it at about $20 a bottle. Wink

I wish! In NH I paid about $17, here in NC it's almost $26!

Old Overcoat um Overholt. That's the stuff right there. Ridiculous that it should taste so good.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Scotch is like country music, I've tried really hard enjoy it, but just can't.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
Buffalo Trace is mighty smooth and for scotch Glenlivet or Glenfidddich and for Irish, Bushmills. Been meaning to try some Tullimore Dew sometime.

Scotch, Bourbon or Whiskey...They're all good in their own ways, depending on my mood. I've gone to the "Irish" lately and have been enjoying it. Nothing too pricey. Been looking for Bushmills Black Bush (not real hard) with no luck and I think Jameson is pretty good. I found a place with a good price on Tullamore Dew and despite not being aged as long as Jamesons, I like it a little better. As for today, when the "bell rings" I'll be mixing a Martini (Beefeater) to kick off happy hour.

Have a great day.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I'll have a Bourbon please. Angel's Envy preferably.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I used to be a bourbon fan, but was lured away by Irish. Like Scotch, the mash bill is all barley, but it doesn't have that medicinal taste. Bushmills Black Bush is an excellent modest price choice.

Do you like beer, stouts specifically? If so you should try the Jameson Caskmates.

If your a Stout fan, try AleSmiths Speedway Stout. 12% alcohol, a 750ml bottle is around $13. Great flavors, coffee is one that comes out. My son bought me a bottle, now I find in beer, that is all that I buy. It just came out in Pint cans for around $8. It can be hard to find.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
With the Wild Turkey, I find that I like the 101, but don't have a taste for their 80 proof.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Angels Envy Rye...
is something different and special.

I agree. I can't find it anywhere outside of bars.

VA it's tough to find... I'm stationed in Norfolk & I have to order it online. However, it's available at central liquors in DC if you're close.

It's available at Total Wine in MD:
http://www.totalwine.com/spiri...0?s=402&igrules=true

Maybe they would send a bottle to a VA store near you?

Posts: 85 | Location: Between Maryland and Virginia | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Island scotches made right by the ocean seem to be my favorites.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dilettante:

Unfortunately, we have VA's ABC system to deal with. Our Total Wines are just wine and beer. Thanks to both for you for the head up. Looks like I'll have to cross into DC or MD to pick up a bottle.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
quote:
Originally posted by Dilettante:

Unfortunately, we have VA's ABC system to deal with. Our Total Wines are just wine and beer. Thanks to both for you for the head up. Looks like I'll have to cross into DC or MD to pick up a bottle.

Order online, they'll deliver in Va. no problem and prices are totally paletable.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Was in Pittsburgh today for business. Found 2 bottles on the shelf in local store. That should get me through the weekend...

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I've been on a recent mini quest to get re-acquainted with Scotch. Mrs. BRL and I go to tastings at Total wine nearly every weekend.

Any fans of Grangestone? The had a 12 year old that was amazing. I went back to the shelf to pick one up and got distracted by another, a double cask single malt (oak then bourbon). It was a little less ($23 vs $28), same brand and the flavors sounded good so I went with that. I've yet to open it but plan on having a bit tonight with my newly legal son.

I've got the 12 year old and the 18 year old on my Father's Day list. I suspect I'll be getting the 12 year old as the 18 year old was about $50.

Since a couple of weeks ago I've either been unable to or not had the desire to come close to Scotch after an experience with JW Red about 35 years ago in high school. Time to face those demons Cool

Here is what I got - (corrected)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BRL,

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I find I much prefer the older stuff. My tastes move me towards the Speyside scotches that are aged in sherry casks. Knob Creek 9 year hits me right in a good spot, but a lot of bourbons hit me with burn then flavor instead of flavor/burn like scotch. Not sure why that is.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Islay very peaty scotches. My favorite is Ardbeg Corryvreckan which is 114.2 proof.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
I prefer the Islay very peaty scotches. My favorite is Ardbeg Corryvreckan which is 114.2 proof.

That is one mighty dram.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post