SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bourbon vs. Scotch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon vs. Scotch Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Shhhhh, quit taking about Old Overholt, Id like to keep it at about $20 a bottle. Wink

I wish! In NH I paid about $17, here in NC it's almost $26!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Scotch over bourbon when drinking it straight. Scotch seems much smoother to me. My Scotch of choice has been Chivas Regal.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
I love the spice of rye. Gunpowder is my favorite for spice. Many bourbons are too sweet for me. Templeton is my go-to when I want something sweeter. My current favorite is Angels Evvy Rye.

^ Templeton, Dickel, Angel's Envy, Redemption, Bulleit, and others are all the same Rye from MGP in Indiana, though some companies add shit to it before bottling, like Dickel adds the charcoal filtering step that they and JD use which defines "Tennessee Whiskey", which, of course, doesn't exist and is simply Bourbon by another name. Because: marketing

So, basically, you really like the same Rye in different bottles and with different labels. Smile

Well, at least I'm consistent! Thanks for the knowledge.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I love the spice of rye. Gunpowder is my favorite for spice. Many bourbons are too sweet for me. Templeton is my go-to when I want something sweeter. My current favorite is Angels Evvy Rye.

^ Templeton, Dickel, Angel's Envy, Redemption, Bulleit, and others are all the same Rye from MGP in Indiana, though some companies add shit to it before bottling, like Dickel adds the charcoal filtering step that they and JD use which defines "Tennessee Whiskey", which, of course, doesn't exist and is simply Bourbon by another name. Because: marketing

So, basically, you really like the same Rye in different bottles and with different labels. Smile

Angels Envy Rye is substantially different than any other whiskey I've ever had, and I'll agree its becoming a favorite. The source rye might be the same as some other brands, but it is then finished in rum casks. Have you ever done a side by side tasting between some of the brands you mentioned? AER is something different and special.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Burbon has a bite to it that I find unpleasant. Scotch is more to my liking. Oban 14 is pricey, but mighty tasty. Big Grin Macallan 18 is fantastic, but a bit to spendy for me. Frown Lately I've been sipping Jameson. It's a light but smooth belt and it's not that expensive.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Angels Envy Rye is substantially different than any other whiskey I've ever had, and I'll agree its becoming a favorite. The source rye might be the same as some other brands, but it is then finished in rum casks. Have you ever done a side by side tasting between some of the brands you mentioned? AER is something different and special.

I agree. I can't find it anywhere outside of bars.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I'll have some Scotch whisky please. Much prefer the taste of malted barley to corn whiskey.

It's all about personal taste and preference. Whatever is good to your palate. Lots of folks love bourbon and want nothing to do with Scotch.

If you just pour Scotch into a glass and drink it, you may not like it. But if you pour a dram of good quality single malt, add a small amount of water, and wait 10 to 15 minutes before sipping it, you will be rewarded.

Finding a Scotch you like, and figuring out the right amount of water to add, is something you learn by trial and error. Patience is needed.

YMMV!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
For me I head to the great white north selection and look for a smooth mix of grains in the 12 year old Canadian Club brand.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
quote:

I agree. I can't find it anywhere outside of bars.

VA it's tough to find... I'm stationed in Norfolk & I have to order it online. However, it's available at central liquors in DC if you're close.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Trace is mighty smooth and for scotch Glenlivet or Glenfidddich and for Irish, Bushmills. Been meaning to try some Tullimore Dew sometime.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I went to the Makers Mark tour some years ago and aren't there like five things that make a bourbon legally bourbon? I recall one of those things was that it cannot be artificially flovored (like aged in charred oak barrels ala JD). Also had to be made in the US (hence no Canadian bourbon). Am I somewhat correct?

Bourbon, by law, is defined as:

...and that it. That's why, for instance, Jim Beam Black Cherry cannot be labeled as Bourbon any longer even though it's simply Jim Beam Bourbon and Black Cherries... Same with Angel's Envy, those Cinnamon ones, etc.

The actual regulation is 27 CFR 5.22

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's true, about Angels Envy, it does come out different due to that added step, and there are differences in some of the others, too, either due to bottling proof or age or age mixes that happens in bottling, shit, probably just which corner of the warehouse it came from. But like most of the Jim Beam offerings (White, Black, Booker's, Bakers, Knob Creek...), it's all basically if not exactly the same juice, which is interesting and useful, I think.

Anyway. I don't particularly like the taste of Angel's Envy, myself, or any of the other similarly finished expressions I've had from other distilleries and think they're a bit gimmicky, and - in fact - no longer Bourbon - or Rye - which are what I like best, so I generally avoid anything with fancy finishes as I prefer to focus on the simpler, more traditional, expressions, but I know lots of people like it and tastes are as subjective as it gets. As long as you like it... Different strokes and all. Smile

The Rye(s) aren't necessarily bad because they're the same or from Indiana, btw. Whatever variation ends up in the Templeton and Bulleit is good, I've had lots of it. But the whiskey industry has had a habit of making up bullshit stories about people and "distilleries" that don't exist for ages (Templeton being the most recent bigger case), and "mystery whiskey" is a problem, so being more transparent helps us fans, which - along with highlighting how similar tastes can affect ones favorites - was my point. It's interesting to see it manifest in lists like ravens or, IIRC, grumpybiker's photos which always show Booker's, Bakers, and Knob Creek - the man knows what he likes... Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Lots of good drinks out there.
For Bourbon, on a budget, Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve are good, same with Four Roses for me. I like Blantons and a personal favorite is Elijah Craig. Oh, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Yum.

For Scotch, I like a Sherry finish, like Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Lasanta, Aberlour 12, or Balvenie Double Wood. I also like a bit of peat and smoke, such as Lagavulin or Talisker. Not too much, I didnt like Ardbeg Uighedail....ugh.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I learned something new last weekend. He mentioned that bourbon was sweeter and scotch more dry. I love both but will usually drink one or the other. I did Basil Hayden's and Glenfiddich 18 back to back. Bourbon is definitely sweeter.

Try the Basil Hayden Rye. Its a blend and damn tastey. There are definite sequences of drinks to enjoy. Usually lighter to heavier. Old Overholt is a favorite. For something different try Mellow Corn Bottled in Bond.

Dewar's 10 or 12 Yr, and Jameson's Caskmate are both sweet whiskies.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet Nadura.

That is all.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I used to be a bourbon fan, but was lured away by Irish. Like Scotch, the mash bill is all barley, but it doesn't have that medicinal taste. Bushmills Black Bush is an excellent modest price choice.

Sounds like your Scotch experience is limited to Islay/peated malts, which are quite medicinal (i.e. - iodine) tasting/smelling. If you like Black Bush, try some of the highland Scottish malts.....Macallan, Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Oban, etc. I think you'll find them quite nice.

I'm with you though.....used to be a bourbon drinker, and have been lured away by the world of Scotch. Bourbon is generally too sweet for my tastes now, though I do still enjoy a couple of bourbons.....Woodford Double Oaked & Blanton's.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
Glenlivet Nadura.

That is all.

CW

By far the best offering from The Glenlivet, imho. Have you tried the 16yo version of Nàdurra? Or the Oloroso finish? Both are outstanding.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have tried a bunch but my favorite is Scotch. And of all the Scotches, I like Laphroaig the best, it has a peaty smokey goodness Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to be a bourbon fan, but was lured away by Irish. Like Scotch, the mash bill is all barley, but it doesn't have that medicinal taste. Bushmills Black Bush is an excellent modest price choice.

Do you like beer, stouts specifically? If so you should try the Jameson Caskmates.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:

Do you like beer, stouts specifically? If so you should try the Jameson Caskmates.

I prefer lagers, so maybe that's why I prefer Jameson Black Barrel over Jameson Caskmates. But I find Bushmills Black Bush to be better than either. The Black Barrel does have a tasty chocolate overtone, but the Black Bush is super smooth. I take all of my whiskeys neat, so 80 proof is just right for me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post