SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wives & Doctors Are Never Satisfied
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wives & Doctors Are Never Satisfied Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
So, I just got my recent blood test results. Wow. Really good numbers. I'm looking forward to attaboys from the doctor for a job well done.

Blood Pressure = 120/72
Total Cholesterol = 169
HDL = 42
LDL = 104
Tri-G = 114
TC/HDL = 4.1
Blood Glucose = 104
A1C = 5.5

But nope. Wrong again Fenris. HDL is still too low. I should exercise more. LDL is still too high. I should eat less red meat, and maybe increase/change statins.

At least he didn't complain about diabetes control or blood pressure.

Oh, and I need to lose weight. This I knew.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Attaboy, Tony. Cool

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Attaboy, Tony. Cool

Danka.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The industry has you under its thumb. Go to the doctor every three years.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I think your blood pressure is sexy.

I don't know what all the other numbers mean in the range of good.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Criticizing you for numbers like that seems like total BS. I know they like LDL to be under 100, but is the test even accurate enough to worry about 4 points? Further, is there any evidence whatsoever that 104 is significantly different than 99 in terms of long term prognosis? I seriously doubt it.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Tell the doctor that you want to see his numbers..... I’ll bet his numbers aren’t nearly as good as yours. Good job!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Years to life or life to years?

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So...eat some healthy fats and pump some iron. "Do you even lift bro?"

-it's an internet meme, I'm just kiddin' and wouldn't be worried about those #s at all.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I'd take those numbers and be damn happy!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
So...eat some healthy fats and pump some iron. "Do you even lift bro?"

Some mornings, lifting myself out of bed feels like an accomplishment.

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Fantastic numbers. Tell the doctor and the wife to go fly a kite. HDL is on the low side, but lots of things can effect that.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Did you take the trash out? Why do I always have to ask you to take the trash out? Why can't you be more like Dorris' husband, HE takes the trash out without being asked. I'm just saying....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Did you take the trash out? Why do I always have to ask you to take the trash out? Why can't you be more like Dorris' husband, HE takes the trash out without being asked. I'm just saying....

Time to form an "Out to get Doris's husband" club.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I like to blame errant lab values on the lab technician who forgot to calibrate the equipment.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
So, I just got my recent blood test results. Wow. Really good numbers. I'm looking forward to attaboys from the doctor for a job well done.

Blood Pressure = 120/72
Total Cholesterol = 169
HDL = 42
LDL = 104
Tri-G = 114
TC/HDL = 4.1
Blood Glucose = 104
A1C = 5.5

But nope. Wrong again Fenris. HDL is still too low. I should exercise more. LDL is still too high. I should eat less red meat, and maybe increase/change statins.

At least he didn't complain about diabetes control or blood pressure.

Oh, and I need to lose weight. This I knew.

WTF? You have those numbers and he has you on statins?

You know statins have side effects, up to and including contributing to Type II diabetes.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Agree you should not be on any statins with those numbers.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

??????

The cholesterol numbers are good with the statin, but we have no idea what they were before or what they would be without.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Agree you should not be on any statins with those numbers.

Hmmmm.....I don't think that I would want to practice medicine without a license.... We don't know the entire picture, we don't know what his risk factors are, what his family history is. We don't know what his labs were before his meds were prescribed.
That being said, I can't blame Fenris for being frustrated !

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The Statin I take is Pravastatin which, according to one study that I read, was not correlated with increased risk of type 2, which I already have.

I manage the diabetes primarily with merformin and low carb diet. It works pretty well except I'm a sugar/carb addict and I probably spend as much (or more) time off the low-carb wagon than on it. At the moment I am on it.

The doctor didn't chew me out exactly. But I was disappointed (and irritated) that he pushed me to do more. I guess that I had sorta' hoped to be told I had achieved perfect health and attained some kind of health care Nirvana. It was an unrealistic expectation on my part.