SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Appliance Brad or others with commercial appliance experience..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Appliance Brad or others with commercial appliance experience.. Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I'm looking at purchasing some commercial appliances. Specifically a 49 cubic foot cooler and a 49 cubic foot freezer. I've been watching Craigslist and some do turn up but some look like they are 20 plus years old. Slightly used is going to be hard to find.
The True brand 49 cubic foot cooler runs about 3 grand new. But reading the web site if you do not have it in a commercial kitchen application you do not get the warranty.

There is a True 49 cubic foot cooler on Craigslist that is 9 years old I can pick up for $800. Just wondering what the life expectancy of these units realistically is? I know it's relative but lets just say normal use.

There are many out there you can buy new for $1800 but they are all cheap Chinese junk. I would prefer to find a good used True or Traulsen that still has 10 good years left in it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer specifically to your question.

But, I suggest you see if there are commercial restaurant equipment supply dealers in your area. Unless you live in the sticks there should be.

In my area there are a good number. Restaurants come and go, in and out of business. The dealers have tons of good used equipment and will often provide some sort of warranty and service on used. Then you'll catch a deal on new unused floor models.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I don't know the answer specifically to your question.

But, I suggest you see if there are commercial restaurant equipment supply dealers in your area. Unless you live in the sticks there should be.

In my area there are a good number. Restaurants come and go, in and out of business. The dealers have tons of good used equipment and will often provide some sort of warranty and service on used. Then you'll catch a deal on new unused floor models.

Best wishes to you.

I have two food service dealers in my area and have checked with them both. One says he doesn't deal in used equipment but will keep his eye open. The other wants to sell me a new piece of Chinese crap for $1800 plus 8.5% sales tax and delivery.
I figure I'd be lucky to get 10 years out of the Chinese junk and spend $1800 plus. I'm thinking I can spend $800 on the True on CL and probably get 10 years out of that.
Plus avoid the sales tax.

It's a roll of the dice either way.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been selling commercial food service for 40 years to one customer, the Federal Government. I have True and 5 other brands of refrigerators on GSA Contact. I would not have a commercial refrigerator in my kitchen. They are noisy and through a lot of heat. My wife likes convenience items like drawers and crispers. I like ice in the door for my Bourbon. If you really want a commercial unit check webstruant or Central products. Both online and sell cheap. I would not worry about not having a warranty on True, their warranty is terrible. They ship with plastic wrap protecting the unit. Inspect carefully, any damage refuse the delivery. True is the first company to switch to propane as a refrigerant. The Traulsen "G" series is a better unit. Good luck

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post