SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When Non PC Humor was ok - Mad Magazine 1961
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When Non PC Humor was ok - Mad Magazine 1961 Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
I remember getting Mad Magazine when I was a kid, loved the Spy-vs Spy stories, there was always some edgy comedy.

Friend sent me this, he got it as a birthday present.. June 1961. You can be sure they would be getting all kinds of crap on UnSocial Media....

Still, funny stuff.

Check out the School Lesson they printed inside.

and the answers

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember that cover! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Good stuff - loved Mad Magazine. It was nice to grow up in a time and generation that had real humor!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Ah, the good old days. Miss my MM subscription!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I remember that cover! Cool

I do too. I wish I still had all of my mags from those days.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Ah, the good old days. Miss my MM subscription!

I had a subscription for 2 years. One of the magazines was my first exposure to The Godfather with its parody. I came across this unaired clip a couple of years ago Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...ue=570&v=mgcmQIkRHm8

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What, me worry?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah!

I happened across a current copy. I think I made it about 5 pages before tossing it in the trash.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
"Down with rules, down with laws.
Down with the world and up up yours!"

From the Sex Pistols punk rock satire issue.

I do reference getting life advice from Roger Kaputnik sometimes, but noone gets it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a documentary due out soon, I believe on Netflix, about Mad Magazine. The guy doing it has been working on it for a handful years, has several interviews with old writers and what not. Some of them have since passed away from when he recorded them. Rumor is it's supposed to be very well done.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Or...Take a look at the "Unwanted Foreigners" issue of National Lampoon. Anyone recall that one?

Heres the text..
https://archive.org/stream/for...d-the-world_djvu.txt

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Anyone recall that one?

I was thinking of that article just within the past couple of weeks for some reason (no idea why Wink ) and ... smiled.

It is so outrageous that if it were published today, the reaction would make the Charlie Hebdo incident seem like a stiffly-worded note.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Every time I see Mayor Pete on the news I get nostalgic for Mad Magazine!

Also every time I hear about Brennan vs. Comey!

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide IIRC.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
And the beat goes on … :

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading Mad's "interpretation" of a movie FIRST, then going to the movie. Sometimes, other people in the theater must have wondered, "Why is that kid laughing at this scene?"

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I was a huge fan, never missed an issue. I still am.

My favorite cover has to be the one where they tell you to buy the magazine or they shoot the dog. Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
I enjoyed reading Mad's "interpretation" of a movie FIRST, then going to the movie. Sometimes, other people in the theater must have wondered, "Why is that kid laughing at this scene?"

I did the same thing! I often think that MAD is why I have such a twisted sense of humor.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Remember Lawrence of Arabia, The Musical? Peter O'Toole dancing in his new white outfit, singing "I feel pretty" from "West Side Story."

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Great stuff! I remember loving these magazine so. Oh the days.......

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:

I did the same thing! I often think that MAD is why I have such a twisted sense of humor.
Charles Addams cartoons in the New Yorker also contributed to mine.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post