SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Upflush toilet experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upflush toilet experience? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
The house we moved into last January has a finished basement but they did not include a bathroom. I’m wanting to put a half bath down there and I’m thinking about installing and upflush toilet so I don’t have to tear up the concrete to get to the drain. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
expensive and trouble in my experience. Had to clean the grinder pump on one once and it was pretty nasty.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If the drain is in the floor I would dig and go that route. Done it many times so not a big deal for me.

The only time I would ever use a pump system is when the lines are above the floor. We see that design here when the house in on septic and not city sewage.

Although I've never done a half bath in a basement it's always been a full bath so there was the shower issue to deal with.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I purchase a rental with a brand new macerating toilet installed in a new bathroom addition. Heard nothing but trouble about these, so I removed it, installed 3” line, and installed a conventional toilet. From the documentation with that brand-new macerating toilet sitting in my storage, you have to use a real flimsy toilet paper. Wipes? Forget it. Seemed like a huge hassle for a rental, so I removed it.

Heaven forbid someone flush a tampon.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heaven forbid someone flush a tampon.

My dad called them “sewer mice”.....he also said “there’s good money in shit”...because people will pay someone else to deal with it.

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A customer's employee threw a beat Bic lighter into one. It jammed the "macerator / pump", which is nothing more than an impeller-type wheel spinning in a housing. Guys that service these regularly have an extra mini-shop vac to empty the receiving vessel. It is not a big deal, as it is mostly water in there. But you definitely need lots of room behind your bathroom to service the receiving vessel. Expect the occasional flood.

I've walked away from those jobs; one Chinese restaurant installed one for employees and then chased in the vessel into a triangular space barely bigger than the vessel with only a small high access. WTF.

The last service I did for a regular customer I told them it was a flat $450 minimum to open it up. Some guys charge $800. The trouble is, by the time you have it emptied and figure out if a component is damaged, you do not know if you're into the hole $450 or $1,600.

That said, they are robust products. In a mature and mindful home, there may not be a problem. But they sure are loud.

I'd not hesitate to strike the idea off my list and do the excavation. And instead install something like this product picked at random from the web: Zoeller 912-0020 - 1/2 HP Cast Iron Preassembled Sewage Pump System

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law has one in his basement. So far it has worked just fine, but I shudder to think of what will happen when it fails. Sewage is not the sort of thing that I would want to push up or over anything, nor do I like the idea of it being under pressure, even low pressure. Then again, I've shoveled more shit at my house with my conventional drains than he has at his, so maybe I have no room to talk.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
My dad called them “sewer mice”

My plumber friends in Cleveland call the "Lake Erie Whitefish"!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post