SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Custom foam cutout for gun case(s)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom foam cutout for gun case(s) Login/Join 
posted
I'm putting together a couple pistol/rifle cases and want to get some foam cutout for them. While I'm not OCD, not fond of the squared off "pluck" method for cases. The couple times I've tried cutting foam myself, they come out pretty crappy.

Anyone ever use a custom foam cutting place to get a gun case done? Results/thoughts/advice?

Something like mycasebuilder?

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I had a set done by Case Club. Turned out very nice.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Electric Knife is Ideal for foam cutting/trimming.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

You can get a 3"x 24" x 6' foam at Home Depot for $25

I think they also have different sizes too.

I just used a skinny box cutter.

Works for me.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

That Home Depot foam is open cell, not closed, and not nearly as dense as what is used for custom cases. The soft OC stuff is fine if you are just trying to sandwich the gun between two layers, but once it is cut out, it is very mushy.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Yes. I had a set done by Case Club. Turned out very nice.

Thanks, I'll give them a look.

quote:
Aloha,

You can get a 3"x 24" x 6' foam at Home Depot for $25

I think they also have different sizes too.

I just used a skinny box cutter.

Works for me.

Thanks, never had much luck with the box cutter method. Always comes out jagged and crappy.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Google kaizen foam, it might be something you'll like.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
I'm putting together a couple pistol/rifle cases and want to get some foam cutout for them. While I'm not OCD, not fond of the squared off "pluck" method for cases. The couple times I've tried cutting foam myself, they come out pretty crappy.

Anyone ever use a custom foam cutting place to get a gun case done? Results/thoughts/advice?

Something like mycasebuilder?

Place foam to be cutout face down. This way you're drawing on the under side of it. Lay out items to be traced in reverse of how you want them. Remember to try to balance and/or place the weight low/center. Trace with sharpie, cut with electric carving knife. Just barely leave the line. Flip foam over, install.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
there's some dandy ammo-can size designs on Amazon already precut

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For the one Pelican case I own, I was able to find a vendor offering egg shell foam top and bottom. The two halves meet when there is nothing in there, so any gun (or anything else) you carry in it is securely wedged by the foam. It is handy for carrying different guns without worrying about any cutouts.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I had custom foam cut by mycasebuilder to secure a S&W 642 and box of ammo in a Pelican 1170 case.

My experience --
It was easy to design the foam using their online tool.
I chose the PE (polyethylene) foam. It is denser than their other foams.
They cut and delivered the foam quickly.
The cut was clean and accurate.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted

Place foam to be cutout face down. This way you're drawing on the under side of it. Lay out items to be traced in reverse of how you want them. Remember to try to balance and/or place the weight low/center. Trace with sharpie, cut with electric carving knife. Just barely leave the line. Flip foam over, install.

This. It will work. I used a retractable box cutter blade. The kind that break off when they dull. But I extend it all the way out and gently cut all the way through. This kept the choppyness to a minimum.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I used this $23 hot wire foam cutter from Amazon to cut out the foam included with my Pelican as shown below. I just traced the shapes with a sharpie and then took my time. It worked great and now I have the ability to cut several more different foam pieces for different guns or layouts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I did the custom foam from My Case Builder and I am completely satisfied. The finished product was perfect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mo4040,

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That really helps, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give the custom case builder one a try on the rifle case and see how it turns out.