SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a Decent Wall Clock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Decent Wall Clock Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
I have two of these pieces of junk. One in my hangar and one in my shop. They are not the first of these clocks I’ve bought. Neither of these things can either run or keep time, and I’m talking losing hours in a week for one of them and the other one just quits running. New batteries in both. I have bought both locally, but this style of clock is all one can get around here, so I’m reaching out to the forum for some input on something that will run dependably. One of these clocks is in my hangar and the other one is in my shop. Neither are heated and they get very cold in the winter and warm in the summer. Prefer battery operated as I don’t want to run long extension cords.

Both clocks, and all these types of clocks I’ve gone thru have the same movement you see below in the second photo. Made in China of course.

I'm glad Glocks are not made in China.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with these. I’d order again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M...gid=pla-332296522684

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Replace the movement with a Seiko movement.

Edited to add: I've done this with 2 clock faces we wanted to keep because we like them. Rather than just keeping accurate time, you can keep the classic clock face in your first post if you really like it.

Of course the clock in your hanger is really not needed since you wear a huge pilot watch, right? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tailhook 84,

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Seiko makes some nice ones with a silent movement.

Seiko Wall Clock Quiet Sweep Second Hand Dark Brown Solid Oak Case

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
slight thread drift...
My parents had a wall clock, might've been a Seiko, that was a wedding gift to them in the early 60s. It plugged into an outlet and kept perfect time for decades. I opened the door to violently a couple of times and knocked it off the wall. The second time did the clock in...

So, was it because it was plugged into 60Hz power that made it so good? or just better craftsmanship?
I don't see many (none, in my recent experience) analog, AC powered clocks anymore....

Posts: 6298 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The same issue afflicted me. A 12+ year old wall clock suddenly pooped out. The $16 'Bay replacement had issues. I took it apart; it seems the back end of the second hand was sometimes - but not always - hitting the minute hand. All is well now, but during my investigations, I looked into a new movement.

They are a whole 'nother world to me; never had to actually delve into it.

https://www.clockparts.com/cle...ni-quartz-movements/

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I have two radio controlled clocks from La Crosse Technology.

I use mine indoors. They offer some indoor/outdoor clocks.
They keep accurate time and can optionally adjust for daylight savings time.
They have never had a problem getting the signal from Ft Collins, CO.

This one and the other one.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Howard Miller

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Howard Miller

This plus Seiko will last decades. We have one of each that keep perfect time. The Howard Miller we got as a wedding present 37 years ago.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have a beautiful Howard Miller 18” Satellite controlled wall clock that gave up its ghost a week ago after 17 years of faithful service.

I called HM about a replacement movement without success.

I probably paid about $100 for it.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have Seiko wall clocks, operates off of one AA battery, accurate as can be. Excellent clocks for the price. I buy this kind of stuff from Princeton Clocks, great site. They also have Citizen wall clocks, a little bit pricier.

https://www.princetonwatches.c...ns/seiko-wall-clocks

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16660 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Howard Miller and Seiko.

Sounds like solid advice to me. I might be biased, though: I'm a big Seiko fan, and I have my grandparents' Howard Miller clock.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just go to Bed Bath and Beyond and pick something out.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
How about an indecent one?

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not what you asked about but I only use the self setting "Atomic" digital ones anymore. They are awesome! I have three and they all are different brands and work great. Battery last a 1 to 2 years. But they are hard to read in low light. Another nice thing is they display the Day, Date, and temp.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-W...rds=seiko+wall+clock

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any of these can be viewed during the night? That's what I need when I wake up in middle of night.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...un-concealment-clock

I have this clock. Mine is identical except there is a P220 in there. It's been keeping good time for the 7 years I've owned it. It's a cheap thing, but works well for me. Have to change out the batteries on occasion. They last more than a year. We have a night light, it's viewable with that. There is no internal light. When I wake up, say, at 3am, to pee or just chase a thieving miscreant out of my house, this is there. Always ready.

ps, it's not an alarm clock. You need am/fm clock radio or a digital phone for that.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an unconditional love to the wall clocks!! Especially huge ones that you can put on the floor. Unfortunately the image won't load, but I guess they were pretty common.

Tech lover and geek that loves to play with good software https://softorino.com/waltr

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Replace the movement with a Seiko movement.

Edited to add: I've done this with 2 clock faces we wanted to keep because we like them. Rather than just keeping accurate time, you can keep the classic clock face in your first post if you really like it.

Of course the clock in your hanger is really not needed since you wear a huge pilot watch, right? Wink

I watched some videos on replacing the movement, and with the super cheap construction of these clocks and my inability to work on things like this, I decided against replacing the movements. As far as my watch goes. It’s a cheap Timex that I put in a drawer 12 years ago when I retired. I don’t wear watches.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post