SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a Decent Wall Clock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Decent Wall Clock Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Thought I’d revive this thread after a couple of weeks of procrastination. Wish I’d taken the time to go thru this thread again as there are some good links, however, for some dang reason, I was set on ordering from Amazon, so the selection wasn’t as good as it should have been. I did not like any of the Seiko clocks that Amazon had, so I went with two Howard-Miller clocks. Finding one only 8-inches in diameter was difficult. (Very small space in my small cluttered shop).

I have a nice Howard-Miller pendulum clock that was my parents 45th wedding anniversary to themselves. (I wonder if they thought they would not make it to their 50th, but they did). Unfortunately, it died recently, but I plan on having it repaired. Below is what I ended up getting.

I got this clock for my shop

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-...eiko%7CHoward+Miller

and this clock for my hangar.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-...r+spokane+wall+clock

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
In my reloading room, I have a cheap Walmart wall clock that looks remarkably like the OP's wall clock.
It keeps time perfectly but it makes a loud mechanical ticking noise that bugs the hell out of me.
So, I went out and bought a Lacrosse Technology digital "atomic" clocks. It's silent and keeps perfect time.
Link

quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
I have two radio controlled clocks from
La Crosse Technology.

I use mine indoors. They offer some indoor/outdoor clocks.
They keep accurate time and can optionally adjust for daylight savings time.
They have never had a problem getting the signal from Ft Collins, CO.

This one and the other one.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for the reliability of the clock. But if it's half way as reliable as the Cummins on it, you'll likely never have to buy another.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Get an "atomic" clock if you want the time to be correct. I prefer digital, but they sell them in analog versions though.

Search Amazon for "atomic wall clock," and you'll find many highly rated models that will suit your needs.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Love the HM's, wingspar. Our kitchen clock was bought in '03 and has yet to fail.

quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
. . . if it's half way as reliable as the Cummins on it, you'll likely never have to buy another.

Big shout out to the folks in Perryopolis Pennsylvania. Love this fine clock you made for Continental/General hanging at Rossi Tires.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
clocks are funny , I have three that I paid $1.99 for at Ikea, 11 years ago.

they are all accurate to withing three or four minutes a year.

HA !
they still sell them
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70098989/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

How long did it take you to assemble them...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Funny...can’t post a pic of it, but I won one of those picture type clock over 30 years ago on a tip board. It’s a tiger, and that clock is still running great. Just replace the battery once in a while. I love it.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

they are all accurate to withing three or four minutes a year.

HA !
they still sell them
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70098989/

$1.99 for a clock? Outstanding. Wonder what shipping would be, $25? However, there is no option to add this clock or any of their clocks to the cart. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of Ikea.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
In my reloading room, I have a cheap Walmart wall clock that looks remarkably like the OP's wall clock.
It keeps time perfectly but it makes a loud mechanical ticking noise that bugs the hell out of me.
So, I went out and bought a Lacrosse Technology digital "atomic" clocks. It's silent and keeps perfect time.
Link

I gave some thought to those atomic clocks, but I wonder if those clocks can withstand being in an unheated area. I have an indoor outdoor thermometer that has an atomic clock in it in my living room, and I really like it. Had it for 4 or 5 years and have yet to replace the battery and it keeps perfect time, tho once in a while it loses the signal and shows the wrong time, but it eventually comes back. For what I want these clocks for, I want analog, not digital.

---------------
Gary

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
We just bought a Lacrosse outdoor clock/thermometer this summer, it keeps time great, will see how winter here in MI affects it.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
We just bought a Lacrosse outdoor clock/thermometer this summer, it keeps time great, will see how winter here in MI affects it.

If anyone that owns an outdoor clock can give some feedback on how it is holding up in the cold damp winter weather, I would appreciate the feedback. I almost bought one.

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
My two new Howard-Miller wall clocks arrived today. One is just perfect for my shop and the large one will go down to the hangar. That one is huge. I’ll bet I could read it from the length of a football field. Howard-Miller is located in Michigan in what looks like a very large modern building. Anyway, one is made in Taiwan and the other is made in China. Good Grief!! They don’t even repair their own clocks. What goes on in that large building in Michigan?

---------------
Gary

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Wooden mechanical clock manufacturing.

They have German manufactured movements.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Wooden mechanical clock manufacturing.

They have German manufactured movements.

I was given a Howard Miller Cherry wood mantel clock as a retirement gift from the company I worked for. It is a very fine clock, I wind it once a week every Sunday.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We just replaced an aging (17+ years) digital atomic wall clock with this model from Marathon. It has all the information we need and none we don't. It is placed centrally in the house so we can see it from just about anywhere, and the digits are large enough to see, too. It is syncing well (as did the old clock, until the very end), so keeping perfect time, and the price is quite reasonable. With the fold out stand, it can also be used on a table or desk top.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of Ikea.

Really?! Where do you buy your Dutch flat-pack furniture in Oregon?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of Ikea.

Really?! Where do you buy your Dutch flat-pack furniture in Oregon?

-Rob

Dutch flat-pack furniture?? What in the world is that?

---------------
Gary