SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why fill tires with nitrogen?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why fill tires with nitrogen? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Lighter.

Wallet that is.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
It does not expand with heat like air.

Supposed to be better for the ware on the tires.

Nitrogen expands with heat, just like any other gas. The ideal gas law teaches us this, and experiments confirm it to be true.

When you remember that air is a mixture containing 78% nitrogen, the theory that nitrogen expands less when hot makes even less sense.

https://powertank.com/pages/nitrogen-truths-and-myths

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, I notice that my tire pressure remains very constant with nitrogen, unlike when I use air.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
We bought a new car in January. I told the salesman that I'm not buying that "nitrogen in the tires gimmick"

He smiled and said, "We stopped selling that".

Pure snake oil.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm going to fill my truck tires with HELIUM. Makes 'em lighter.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some uses (like racing tires) dry is very important. Nitrogen is one of the easiest ways to get that. If you don't need dry then you don't care.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Wow, this is timely. I am about to have the tire shop drain the winter air and put in summer air.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Wow, this is timely. I am about to have the tire shop drain the winter air and put in summer air.
Don't have that done without having your muffler bearings changed.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Don't have that done without having your muffler bearings changed.

Check the blinker fluid.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Oxygen is only 21 percent of the air, whereas nitrogen is 78 percent.
So, fill your tires the old fashioned way and get 78% nitrogen. Wink

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post