SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why fill tires with nitrogen?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why fill tires with nitrogen? Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If the shop puts it in for free I'm good but I'm not paying for nitrogen.

Our air already had 79% in it. The extra 21% isn't that big of a deal on passenger cars. I would be more worried about water or water vapor getting in from a crappy compressor system.

I'm lucky I normally have a SCUBA tank laying around with air in it. So I have very dry air on hand to fill my tires if I need to top them up.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Here we go again. Let's talk about the best oil while we're at it.

I'm going to make some popcorn. LOL Big Grin Big Grin
Four quarts Marvel Mystery Oil and one quart Anti Seize.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

We use a 78% mix.
Yup. 78% Nitrogen blend works very well.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

We use a 78% mix.
How do you get it mixed?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

We use a 78% mix.
How do you get it mixed?

Normal atmospheric air is ~78% nitrogen, ~21% oxygen, and a little tiny bit of argon, neon, helium, methane, krypton, hydrogen, nitrous oxide, and xenon. Hence the 78% blend is just compressed air.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Passenger car tires not much but a big deal in facing tires. We ran late models back in the early 90s. Used bleeder Valves to keep the pressure consistent. Straight air would expand so much that the bleeders would let so much out that they would be almost flat when the cooled down during a lengthy caution. Nitrogen was a lot more stable. It would still expand and bleed but not as much as an air filled tire.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Passenger car tires not much but a big deal in facing tires. We ran late models back in the early 90s. Used bleeder Valves to keep the pressure consistent. Straight air would expand so much that the bleeders would let so much out that they would be almost flat when the cooled down during a lengthy caution. Nitrogen was a lot more stable. It would still expand and bleed but not as much as an air filled tire.

I would guess that was due more to the presence of water vapor, as the gases themselves all behave according to the ideal gas law.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16336 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
I have nitrogen in my personal truck tires, regular air in my patrol car tires.

Both vehicles have a tire pressure monitor system than detects more than a 10% pressure change.

When I drive my personal truck out of the warm garage into the Colorado winter, the TPMS doesn’t alert.

When I drive the patrol car out it does, usually an hour or so into shift. If I fill the tires in severe cold, below zero, they will be over full by the next morning having sat in the heated garage all night.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Interesting tank. I will at least look at the cost of filling the new tires. If its too big a fee, skibbit.

posted Hide Post
I had it in my last vehicle. The tires lost the same amount of PSI every month, I didn't notice an advantage of anything with it and got tired of going to the tire store to have it topped off and after 25k miles, I said screw it and just topped them off with air from my compressor.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to believe that someone would fall for that scam today and that is what it is.
How about the hand painted pin stripe for $300.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
If you buy your tires from Costco, they'll refill them with nitrogen for free for the lifetime of the tire(s).

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
There's a few theories which make it through the mechanic world

1. Well since military aircraft only use dry nitrogen...
2. Doesn't have moisture, wheels won't rust and tires won't dry rot
3. Molecules won't slip out as easily (yes, heard that one)
4. Won't expand as much as regular air when it gets hot (ie., more consistent tire pressure because you know, NASCAR, drafting, etc)
5. Because that's what they come with from the factory and it preserves your warranty

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
A primary reason that nitrogen is used in race tires is that the gas/tire pressure does not change with tire temperature fluctuation.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Not worth paying for but nice to have if it is free....

If my tire is low at home, I fill it with my compressor. I don't have a nitrogen tank at home. It would be a PITA to drive to the tire shop if yo u just need air.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly right answers, some not.

For your day to day driver, nitrogen is expensive and doesn't offer a lot of advantage.

Nitrogen is used as the air charge in aircraft in tires, pneumatic struts, and the pressurized side of hydraulic accumulators because it's dry, it's got a more linear relationship with pressure and temperature than an atmospheric mixture, because it doesn't contribute to oxidation and deterioration of wheels, seals and struts (and moisture doesn't condensate out of a pure nitrogen environment), and most importantly, it's inert. It doesn't contribute to tire explosions.

In your family cruiser, neither the tire pressures nor speeds will ever approach a top fuel racer or an aircraft, but aircraft tires are often rated up to 204 knots (about 230 mph), and temperatures can reach much higher values.

In a heavy airplane, simply taxiing a long distance is enough to heat the tires and brakes simply from the tire flex; it heats them up so much that available brake energy is reduced for takeoff and may prohibit a takeoff (used to get it at Amsterdam, during max weight taxiing). The result is a hot tire, and as those tires flex they also contribute to a combustible mixture in the tire atmosphere. With simple compressed air, there's enough oxygen in the air to contribute to combustion and an explosion, especially as tire pressure rapidly climbs with a temperature increase.

By putting nitrogen in the tire, the mixture is made inert. Some aircraft like the C-17 use this feature to reduce the potential for a fuel tank explosion by inerting the atmosphere in the fuel tank using nitrogen injection.

Your car tire isn't nearly so critical, and isn't subject to the same kinds of inflation pressures, tire temperatures, or brake temperatures. The use of nitrogen isn't as critical. If you can get it and use it (cylinders from a welding shop work fine), it won't hurt, but you won't see that much benefit in your family car.

It may help a shop to reduce their duty (liability) in the event of a tire explosion, if the shop can show they put an inert mixture in the tire. That's a benefit to the shop, not much to you, and when you use nitrogen, you'll be paying for it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Here’s the easy(& cheap) answer to the debate, check tire psi routinely.

Checking psi on a routing basis ‘trumps’ whether you go with regular air or somewhat pure nitrogen.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Never pay extra for nitrogen. Waste of money unless you’re going to race your car.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It's in the tires from Costco, part of the deal, and refilled for free, if it helps wear and life, great.

I've run it on the motorcycle, which doesn't get ridden every day, although thats a goal, and have noticed since the bike has air pressure monitoring, that with the nitrogen the fluctuation in pressure has reduced, and that it loses less PSI over time if it sits for a couple of weeks than when it's got air from the tire compressor only or when we get severe temp drops from like 80 to 50 a couple of days a year Big Grin

Posts: 23416 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Nitrogen offers no advantage in normally driven road cars. Don't take it unless it is free, don't pay extra for it. The tire/repair shop I work for doesn't even have it. At some point before you got the car, somebody, somewhere may have put nitrogen in the tires (not necessarily the ones currently on it, either), hence the green caps.

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post