SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why fill tires with nitrogen?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why fill tires with nitrogen? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Guess maybe I've heard of this 1 time in my adult life. A friend took notice of the green valve stem caps on my Sienna. He asked if I run nitrogen in my tires. Beats me as they've been there sinse I got the van. He claims the tires are nitrogen filled. Havn't a clue why they do this. Any idears?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
It does not expand with heat like air.

Supposed to be better for the ware on the tires.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3473 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Equalized air pressure, is my guess. The earth's atmosphere is mostly nitrogen, even though we're oxygen breathers. Oxygen is only 21 percent of the air, whereas nitrogen is 78 percent. The rest is trace gases.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
It does not expand with heat like air.

Is this true? Nitrogen doesn't obey the ideal gas law? I thought all gases do.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Dunno about cars, but in airplane tires it is said that nitrogen does not migrate through the tire rubber as quickly, meaning they maintain pressure longer.

A quick google list that, being subject to less pressure changes on temperature change, and being dry. No water vapor also means less pressure changes with temp changes and less corroding of steel rims.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have noted, nitrogen does not expand or contract nearly as much as it would with all the other gases in normal air.

Another benefit - without oxygen in the inside, you're reducing oxidation of the internal surfaces. This MIGHT increase the lifetime not directly related to mileage.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Let me check the vintage Ouiji board...

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Popular Mechanics explanation.

https://www.popularmechanics.c...4/nitrogen-in-tires/

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well, its got aluminum alloy factory rims. If nitrogen is more better to run, how does one go about useing it to fill new tires? Where do we get nitrogen?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Well, its got aluminum alloy factory rims. If nitrogen is more better to run, how does one go about useing it to fill new tires? Where do we get nitrogen?

The nearest airport?

I thought tire shops stopped selling it because people realized it's a scam.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The truth is that bottled nitrogen has much less moisture than the typical tank in a shops air compressor.
That humid air is responsible for most of the extra rise in the pressure as a tire warms up.
As noted earlier, nitrogen is already the largest component in the atmosphere.
Tire places do it as a up-charge item with little practical value to the average driver. Snake oil.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Most tire shops have a machine that filters it from plain air. They usually just deflate a tire and refill it a few times with pure nitrogen to flush out most of the regular air and moisture.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought tire shops stopped selling it because people realized it's a scam.

^^^^^^
This was my thinking as well.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Scam. We use a 78% mix.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Pv=nRT
Snake oil indeed. O2 molecules are smaller than N2, and do migrate through the tires more quickly. So, allow your tires to lose a few psi, then refill with air to desired pressure. Eventually, after a few bleed/refill cycles, you will have pure N2 (and some water) in the tires after the O2 bleeds out.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I'm no great fan of the nitrogen use at my local tire shop. They once did it (without asking) and removed my aftermarket valve stem caps and put on the green ones.
However, the corrosion that using air can cause on alloy rims is very real. I've been battling it on my E46 BMW for a couple years.
It was so bad, I had to have them sand and smooth the inner lip (where the tire meets the wheel) in order to not leak out air.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Here we go again. Let's talk about the best oil while we're at it.

I'm going to make some popcorn. LOL Big Grin Big Grin

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK thank you all. There seems to be no super advantage to useing it. Its not a Benz its a van. Think I can stay the corse with good old air.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I use the same oil in my push mower and Kenworth and it works great! Roll Eyes
Well now, the Siennas right rear is running part nitrogen, part regular air and a tall can of Fix a flat. Hope it dont splode.. Big Grin

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The magic 8 ball says 'No'...

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post