SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bout that Mikaela Shiffrin? (4th Slalom World Championship in a row)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How bout that Mikaela Shiffrin? (4th Slalom World Championship in a row) Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted

Yet another record for this wonderful young lady.

gold in slalom, gold in super-g, bronze in GS at this year's world championships in alpine skiing.

that makes 4 consecutive world championship wins in slalom. nobody has ever done that, in any discipline.

Add to being youngest ever Olympic medalist in any alpine event (back in 2014). Youngest skier and 8th all time to win 50 World Cup events (now at 56 WC wins). Most career slalom World Cup wins. I can see her breaking the most World Cup wins all time in the next few years.

Won races in all disciplines this year (downhill, super-G, GS, slalom, and head to head "city" event). Will win the overall World Cup this year, along with Slalom, GS and Super-G titles. Won the overall World Cup 3 times in a row, slalom title 3 times in a row.

Pretty amazing. She is only 23, and keeps getting better. Seems to be well grounded, travels the circuit with her mom as manager/coach.

In her own words: “From the outside, people see the records and stats. As I have said, those numbers dehumanize the sport and what every athlete is trying to achieve… My goal has never been to break records for most WC wins, points or most medals at World Champs. My goal is to be a true contender every time I step into the start…”

And, she stands up with her hand over her heart and sings while they they play the national anthem and hoist the US flag.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Good article about her in Outside magazine last year. https://www.outsideonline.com/...be-great-said-nobody

One focused lady. She earns every win.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
That young lady is truly something special. And as far as guts...she's got those to spare given what she does. Ya gotta love the humility too.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
In time, she’ll pass Vonns record. Lots of promise with this kid.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first saw Mikaela ski when she was maybe 12 or 13, at what I believe was a junior club-type race at Copper Mountain. I was training with the Masters group (aka never-has-been, washed-up, old farts), and saw a small gal just smoke her older competitors. We asked who she was, and our coach stated a name which meant nothing to me, then stated we will soon see her on the US Team.

As Mikaela moved up to the US Team and spent time training at Copper Mountain, coaches began analyzing her technique and training practices. My coach stated her impeccable technique is her base. When other racers were running gates, Mikaela tirelessly practiced edging and balance drills first, then jumped into the courses.

A few years ago we had a great training day during late season at A-Basin. A few powder runs in the back bowls at rope drop, then a pleasant slalom training course mid-day. After the course was pulled and as the snow started getting mushy, our coach had us work on Mikaela's drills. I was truly humbled on seemingly simple edging drills.

I hope Mikeala stays injury free. I hope she continues to work with her Mom. I hope she continues to win races for years to come. I hope she stays the same amazing person she is.

She already is one of the best ski racers to walk the planet. Mikaela may eventually be considered even better than Marcel Hirscher, who may eclipse both Lindsey Vonn's and Ingemar Stenmark's number of World Cup wins about the same time as Mikaela -- assuming (and praying) both of them continue kicking butt.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
As Mikaela moved up to the US Team and spent time training at Copper Mountain, coaches began analyzing her technique and training practices. My coach stated her impeccable technique is her base. When other racers were running gates, Mikaela tirelessly practiced edging and balance drills first, then jumped into the courses.

Shiffrin epitomizes the traits of past New England ski racers as being very good technical skiers. With the conditions being more ice than snow, skiers have to rely on near exacting technique of edge-usage, body positioning and route finding, hence, those skills are the building blocks towards a world class skier. ...and a competitive work ethic of course. Wink

Hard to believe she is only 23, and is just stacking up wins. A very refreshing turn compared to Vonn, who ranked quite high on the crazy/hot matrix.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact that once her season is over in mid-March, Mikaela will visit a few different New England ski areas and meet with the kids in their alpine ski programs. A few years ago she came to Mt. Sunapee and was idolized by those kids, especially the U14, U12, U10 and Mighty Mite girls.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
A very refreshing turn compared to Vonn, who ranked quite high on the crazy/hot matrix.

While this is certainly true, there is no denying Lindsey's talent as a skier in her prime.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post