SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long post no one wants to read
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long post no one wants to read Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
One thing, it took a shit load of courage to be that honest with yourself. Be proud of that. A lot of good advice here.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I read every single word of your post.
Just know that you can recover, I see people doing so each and every day.
Also know that each day now is one day closer to being in a really great place, and one day further away from the darkness you came from.
Go towards the light.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
After reading your post, I truly believe you did the right thing by seeking help. I wish you well along your path to recovery.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the whole thing and wish you the best. I left LE due to a hearing loss. I may have been able to press on with hearing aids, but I pulled the pin because my Dept would have done me the way they did you. And they treated me like crap while I waited for my retirement to through.
Happens to a lot of cops. And leaving LE may be a good thing for you, since it can make depression worse.
Good luck!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
you did the right thing. As for your command, screw 'em. I once helped a guy move from the PD to Parks and Rec. kept his bennies and state pension. Could you arrange something like that?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
Stories like this are the reason I don't talk about my *ahem* I mean ..

Stories like this are the reason people don't talk about their struggles with depression.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 645 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing to seek help, and your honesty took a lot of courage. Sigmonkey said some wise things, especially the importance of exercise, sleep, diet, structured activity in managing depression.

I wish you all the very best.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
This pisses me off beyond comprehension.

I have stood by two friends that went through this. The department shit on both of them. One was in two shootings in a year, lost it in my arms after almost being in a third a few months later. Never worked another day. The other lost a 27 year career.

The department wants you to bend over backwards for it, work 60 hours a week, change your schedule at the drop of a hat, work holidays, family be damned...but when you need help, they show you how important you really are.

Godspeed, Sir. You will overcome. It is a shame,and I truly hate it for you. But you will find something better. Better pay, and better environment. Talk with an employment attorney that understands the state's system.

I've always said you can love the job, but the job won't love you back. Really it's the agency, I guess. You can love being a cop, but the machine isn't going to love you back for it.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish you the best!

Hang in there- we all want to be valued.

Find a place where you can apply your strengths / abilities and you can shine again.

You're side-tracked for sure - but your LE career was not the 'be-all / end-all'.

We are with you-

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I don't know what TX laws are regarding retirement, in addition to checking if disability retirement is a possibility, find out if deferred retirement is possible.

If you can let your retirement contributions ride, it can be very beneficial to you down the road vs. a quick (and quickly used up) payout now.

Hang in there, you have many friends here pulling for you!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get it, the help understanding and patients of a wonderful companion helped me immensely when work related stress got the best of me.

life can get better , After 5 months of b.s. and
reevaluation , I got the hell out of one line of work and in to something totally different.

I had to learn a lot of stuff and re-configure a few perspectives , but the torture went away.

every now and then a bout of anxiety will bring it back to the surface.

best wishes for you and a happier new year

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry.
Advice from the sideline?
Focus on the future, not the past. The dwell factor sucks.
Live, laugh, and love. I think laughter and love are two of God’s greatest gifts.

Luck and prayers headed your way.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1125 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
This may sound strange, but you did the right thing in getting out of that job and admitting yourself for psychiatric treatment. Now do another right thing for yourself and get a good employment attorney. Firing someone for job related disability is wrong, and in most places illegal.

It wasn't that long a post, and there are a number of people here who read it and will give you support.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post