SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robert Wadlow – tallest man ever
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Wadlow – tallest man ever Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
8’ 11” at death.

“Robert Pershing Wadlow (February 22, 1918 – July 15, 1940), also known as the Alton Giant and the Giant of Illinois, was an American who became famous as the tallest person ever in recorded history for whom there is irrefutable evidence.[3] The Alton and Illinois monikers reflect that he was born and raised in Alton, Illinois.[1]”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
“His great size and his continued growth in adulthood were due to hyperplasia of his pituitary gland, which results in an abnormally high level of human growth hormone. He showed no indication of an end to his growth even at the time of his death.”

If he had hit the gym, he would have been a beast Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That boy had to look down to see up.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pretty sad actually

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah only 22 when he died. A short life that I am sure was not pleasant with his constant growth.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe he died from an infection caused by a leg brace rubbing through his skin. I’m 6’4” and stood next to his statue and it’s really amazing.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Handsome Family did a song about him that had a beautiful death metaphor.

The sky was a woman's arms.

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
He's from my hometown. There is a life-size statue of him downtown, and it's unreal.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I believe he died from an infection caused by a leg brace rubbing through his skin. I’m 6’4” and stood next to his statue and it’s really amazing.

If you click the link you see him next to his 6' father. The dad looks like a young child next to his son.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I've heard he was really 8'8" but wore lifts in his shoes.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
This guy has always amazed me, even back in the 50's when I was in grade school. Everything I ever heard about him was positive.

Thanks for the reminder.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post