SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help - Sausage Gravy ? Search Didn't help....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help - Sausage Gravy ? Search Didn't help.... Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
Okay guys and gals, about a year or more ago a thread was running about sausage gravy recipes and a canned product got some surprisingly good marks. As I remember it was only available in a #10 can and I passed on buying it. I now have a Food Saver and I realized that I can portion out single serving amounts and freeze them for later use.

I have about worn out the search feature to find out the brand name of that sausage gravy. Before I get hammered on my lack of searching skills, I'm not nearly as proficient as others with the search feature so please help.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I know you're looking for the #10 can, but I believe this video was posted in that same thread. Just make your own if feasible.....

This guy's video made my mouth water the first time I watched it, and it still does!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I know you're looking for the #10 can, but I believe this video was posted in that same thread. Just make your own if feasible.....

This guy's video made my mouth water the first time I watched it, and it still does!!

OMG - That looks great and I may try it, but I still am looking for the canned style. At least I can compare the two. Hell, I'm lazy.... I admit it..

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Libby's or Chef-Mate is tolerable.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife makes very good sausage gravy, but not very often.

I have found that I can eat Campbell's canned sausage gravy when poured over wop biscuits (wop is the sound that a tube of store bought biscuits make when you "wop" them on the counters edge to open them). Add three over medium fried eggs to the top and I'm good.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
We had sausage gravy, biscuits, and fried eggs last nite for dinner. Wife makes good gravy. Looks easy, but I don't want to look too interested or I'll have to make it. Wink

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Some of the Walmart stores carry Libby's canned sausage and gravy.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Okay guys and gals, about a year or more ago a thread was running about sausage gravy recipes and a canned product got some surprisingly good marks. As I remember it was only available in a #10 can and I passed on buying it. I now have a Food Saver and I realized that I can portion out single serving amounts and freeze them for later use.

I have about worn out the search feature to find out the brand name of that sausage gravy. Before I get hammered on my lack of searching skills, I'm not nearly as proficient as others with the search feature so please help.

Sam's

This is available at Sam's in Pensacola. Read the comments:
"You could scrape by with 5 cans, but this wunnerful stuff makes good folk behave like pigs...they're gonna be comin' back for gravy seconds. So you better get six cans just to be a good host!"

Also on Amazon for twice++ the Sam's price.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just learn how to make it...really not difficult at all. I don't make sausage gravy but I do make a killer SOS. I make my roux before adding the meat by melting some butter and stirring in some flour to a smooth paste. Add milk, stirring constantly and remembering that final thickness will not be reached until the mixture has slightly boiled. Add seasonings paprika, white pepper, black pepper, and chopped onion to taste. Finely chop the chipped beef and add to mixture. Serve over GRANDS biscuits or toast points.
Use same roux at Thanksgiving with same seasonings but use chopped turkey for the meat and add small can of drained green peas. Serve over biscuits or toast points.
Learn how to make a roux. It's basic to several good dishes including some of New Orleans' finest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I do it fairly similar to the video - except I use both milk/cream and good chicken stock; season to taste (use lots of fresh ground pepper). Super easy, delicious and you know what the ingredients are versus some store bought junk.

Also make my own biscuits - love 'em - have not made them in some time though ... getting lazy ... not enough folks to cook for as the kids all moved out.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine is similar to the video as well, just sausage, flour, whole milk, salt, lots of fresh ground pepper, and a little bit of cayenne pepper. But in addition I add 1/2 cup of minced onion to the 1 lb of sausage while frying up. Why buy canned when this easiest of awesome recipes can be made quickly in no time. Tastes great on biscuits, baked potatoes, meat loaf, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Bob Evans Super Sausage Gravy

Ingredients:
* 1 pound Bob Evans® Original Recipe Sausage Roll (I prefer the Savory Sage)
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 cups milk
* Salt and black pepper to taste
* 8 prepared biscuits

Directions:
* Crumble and cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat until browned.
* Stir in flour until dissolved.
* Gradually stir in milk.
* Cook gravy until thick and bubbly.
* Season with salt and pepper.
* Serve hot over biscuits.
* Refrigerate leftovers [snicker]there ain't no leftovers[/snicker]

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with the Bob Evan's recipe is that most sausage you get these days doesn't have enough fat to make a good roux without adding more.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
The only problem I have with the Bob Evan's recipe is that most sausage you get these days doesn't have enough fat to make a good roux without adding more.
It doesn't help that many companies are now selling 12 oz tubes instead of 16 oz. Be sure to listen after 1:33.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/f4RNb3tt0LM?t=1m33s

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
It doesn't help that many companies are now selling 12 oz tubes instead of 16 oz.

Yeah, they should at least label that "single serving package"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
It doesn't help that many companies are now selling 12 oz tubes instead of 16 oz. Be sure to listen after 1:33.

]

Lots of anguish in that man's voice.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I like others here much prefer to make my own. The Sams Club Chef-Mate gravy mentioned above is quite good for canned gravy especially if you need big quantities. A little freshly browned sausage helps it out as well.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sausage gravy from a can is a grave and mortal sin. 10 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Marys for anyone consuming such filth.

Go with the video, or a variation of it, for the best sausage gravy. All one needs is sausage, flour, milk, and pepper. It doesn't get a whole lot easier.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
OMG - Is it to late to beg for forgiveness from such a learned group for even thinking about canned SG?

Thanks erj_pilot, what a great recipe! I knew making my own was going to be easy but I was just to lazy to take the time.

Well I did the AM and it was great. I will tweak it a bit, a little more flower and more pepper, but damn it was good. I discovered a old cast iron skillet that was stored away from years ago. I re-seasoned it, what a joy to cook in! Brings back memories of my mom using one just like it.

I did freeze two batches for a later time, but what a Saturday morning treat!!

Thanks to all who contributed to my thread.

posted Hide Post
I like to add a little more sage in my gravy,just like that extra kick. Also, you can't forget the grits. They just go together. I add some milk long with water to the grits to make more creamy goodness.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post