SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any UT County, UT members have a suggestion for a safe mover?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any UT County, UT members have a suggestion for a safe mover? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I need to move a safe from ProSteel’s plant in Provo to Northern UT County. I can’t find a moving company that will do it. No stairs in the move and ProSteel will load the safe on a trailer (if that helps).
Thx.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I need to move a safe from ProSteel’s plant in Provo to Northern UT County. I can’t find a moving company that will do it. No stairs in the move and ProSteel will load the safe on a trailer (if that helps).
Thx.

Elder's quorum? Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
What's your zip code? Probably slim pickings in that part of the world.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

84003. I found one guy but he wanted $400 which seemed high for no stairs and ProSteel loads the trailer. I’ve thought of renting a trailer with a hydraulic lift and having a couple of friends help but I’d prefer a professional if possible.

You’d think there would be more takers with ProSteel, Liberty and Ft. Knox all making safes in the county.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I didn't figure there would be much there. None of my organizations show any members within 100 miles of you that proclaim to move safes.

There's an outfit that works on safes about 25 miles from you. Glen's. If they weren't the one you contacted I'd look them up, call them, and ask who in your area moves safes.

Keep in mind that a safe company is going to charge you more than a mover. They are usually licensed by the state (background checked employees), carry very specific insurance, and have equipment (and skills/experience) that regular movers don't have.

For a first floor less than 1,000 pounds, we'd get about $225 here in St. Louis. But I'm also doing 5 or 6 of those in a day. If I was only doing one a day $400 may not cover my bills.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you ask ProSteel for a recommendation?

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't figure there would be much there. None of my organizations show any members within 100 miles of you that proclaim to move safes.

There's an outfit that works on safes about 25 miles from you. Glen's. If they weren't the one you contacted I'd look them up, call them, and ask who in your area moves safes.

Keep in mind that a safe company is going to charge you more than a mover. They are usually licensed by the state (background checked employees), carry very specific insurance, and have equipment (and skills/experience) that regular movers don't have.

For a first floor less than 1,000 pounds, we'd get about $225 here in St. Louis. But I'm also doing 5 or 6 of those in a day. If I was only doing one a day $400 may not cover my bills.

Thanks! I’ll try your suggestion. The guy I checked with was the recommendation from the store.

What do you think about this? https://www.timprental.com/equ...ry=24&key=060%2E0027
I figure with my motorcycle tie downs this might be work. It’s on a pallet and ProSteel will load it on the trailer. My neighbor has a pallet jack at his business so I should be able to get it off. But maybe I’m dreaming?

Cycler, ProSteel has no suggestions. But that was a good idea as it made me think. I’ll call Ft. Knox and Liberty tomorrow and ask them in a generic way if they have any suggestions.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you think about this?

That's essentially what we move them on. Unless the safe is very wide a regular pallet jack will not fit beneath it.

Moving it from point A to point B is the easy part. The dangerous part is getting it off of its pallet/feet, into the house, and onto the floor.

www.zykansafe.com

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's essentially what we move them on. Unless the safe is very wide a regular pallet jack will not fit beneath it.

Moving it from point A to point B is the easy part. The dangerous part is getting it off of its pallet/feet, into the house, and onto the floor.

It’s 55” (60x55x25). I’ll simply be taking it off the trailer in the garage and putting it on a rubber mat. Should I just buck up and pay the piper?

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Granted I do this all the time, but I would move it by myself.

Almost all of the Prosteel (Browning) safes come with steel feet that screw on. That wide of a safe gives you plenty of room for a regular 27" wide pallet jack.

Roll it off the trailer, unscrew the feet while it's lifted on the jack, and slide it off an onto the mat. Easy peasy! Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
For many occasions like this I just use old-school steel rollers after getting the safe on the concrete. With a long pry bar and a couple of 2x4s you and a friend can move that safe up onto the pad. Shouldn’t be much over 1100 lbs.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It’s 55” (60x55x25). I’ll simply be taking it off the trailer in the garage and putting it on a rubber mat. Should I just buck up and pay the piper?

So you are just putting it in the garage? I have the same safe I think. I bought and eye loop to screw into the top. I use a come along to lift it with that. If you are just putting it in the garage, you could rig a lift point on the ceiling across a few trusses and hoist it up. Move the trailer from under it and lower it onto a furniture dolly. From there you roll it where you want and tip the safe to move the dolly out. That would be the riskiest part so you'd want a couple of guys to steady the safe. We are almost neighbors. If all you are doing is that, I'll bring a Jr DF and give you a hand. Piece of cake.

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Darth, I may contact you. Let me see what my neighbors (who all owe me favors) are up to first. Thanks again!!!

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I wish I could remember the name of the company but I'm drawing a blank (based out of Alpine). I had them come and move my safe out of my basement when we moved from Cedar Hills to Oregon and it was only $200.00 and involved several outside stairs (they had a stair climbing dolly).

They're really not that hard to move on level ground or off of a trailer with a couple of guys and a heavy duty moving dolly with a strap. Tip the dolly back to the sweet spot and have someone walk along with you. I got mine out of the garage there, on to a 26 foot Penske truck, back out of the truck, and into my garage here with just the help of my dad and son in law (Cabela's tall and wide version Cannon safe).

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No prob.

Email in my profile

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

84003. I found one guy but he wanted $400 which seemed high for no stairs and ProSteel loads the trailer. I’ve thought of renting a trailer with a hydraulic lift and having a couple of friends help but I’d prefer a professional if possible.

You’d think there would be more takers with ProSteel, Liberty and Ft. Knox all making safes in the county.

Depending on size that price doesn't sound too bad for the distance and remoteness you indicate. I paid a couple hundred to have my large safe delivered.
Unless it's small I'd suck it up and pay the professional.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vic's Safes, out of Ogden.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Origina

Depending on size that price doesn't sound too bad for the distance and remoteness you indicate. I paid a couple hundred to have my large safe delivered.
Unless it's small I'd suck it up and pay the professional.

It’s 14 miles distance. It’s actually farther from my home to downtown Salt Lake so I’ve been a little bemused by the lack of movers. Especially as I live in a red state and one of the redest counties in the state. But, I’ve got some great advice from everyone and som new links. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,