SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quotes/sayings that sound good, but when you really analyze them, they don't sound so good
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotes/sayings that sound good, but when you really analyze them, they don't sound so good Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I saw a slogan for an ANG unit that said, "If you ain't Assault Bridge, you ain't shit!" I was relieved to know that I am not excrement. While the contrapositive is "You're shit, therefore you're Assault Bridge," I doubt that is what they intended.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:...
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking. - Anonymous ...

I think the point is that some (many?) feint integrity when people are watching, and are dishonest otherwise. I have worked with people who fit the description.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
I saw a slogan for an ANG unit that said, "If you ain't Assault Bridge, you ain't shit!" I was relieved to know that I am not excrement. While the contrapositive is "You're shit, therefore you're Assault Bridge," I doubt that is what they intended.

Air Force ammo troops have the same slogan: IYAAYAS (pronounced "eye-yah-yahs")

"If You Ain't Ammo, You Ain't Shit!"

Sometimes it's "If You Ain't Ammo, You Ain't Special", in more polite/professional settings.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be just an ugly brawl.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
"It is what it is."

The all time worse no-shit-Sherlock comment ever.

"To tell the truth" or "I'm not going to lie"

Both also irritate me. I can't help but think - so everything else you told me was a lie?

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Ya never know."

Yeah, sometimes ya know.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"War never solved anything"

....except British domination of America, slavery, the ownership of Texas and southern California, the tyranny of two German Reichs, Japanese Imperialism, and the freedom of South Korea.

But other than that...

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

What the Faulkner does that sentence even mean? If you love someone and fuck up, you say you're sorry. Why wouldn't you? 10mm maybe, but love?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16336 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
"Assholes and elbows!"

Please no.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"I'm fine" - Patient to doc, when asked how they're doing.

This is a classic. Nine times out of ten, this is what sick patients say. If you're fine, you wouldn't be in the clinic. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
“It’s always in the last place you look.”

Why would you continue to search for it, if you’ve found it?

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

This is a classic. Nine times out of ten, this is what sick patients say. If you're fine, you wouldn't be in the clinic. Big Grin

Sometimes you are perfectly healthy, just there for a check up, annual physical, etc.

The last few years, I have always said, “That’s what we’re here to find out, isn’t it!”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the groundhog sees his shadow we will have 6 more weeks of Winter.

Posts: 12673 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Babies think they are sooooo special...

Haters gotta hate, but I’m still your father, Becky.

Dance like everyone is watching.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Sometimes you are perfectly healthy, just there for a check up, annual physical, etc.

The last few years, I have always said, “That’s what we’re here to find out, isn’t it!”

Yes, that is why I specifically mentioned only "sick" patients. Wink

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
"Hate the game, not the player".

Even if I lose to you, that doesn't mean you're not an asshole.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A witty saying proves nothing. — Voltaire

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
"War never solved anything"

....except British domination of America, slavery, the ownership of Texas and southern California, the tyranny of two German Reichs, Japanese Imperialism, and the freedom of South Korea.

But other than that...

Agree - another variation is 'Violence never solves anything...'

Other than attempted rape, robbery, assault, carjackings, etc...

'youth is wasted on the young' -- i don't know - I had a lot of dang fun when I was in my 20s! Smile

'honesty is the best policy'. yep i been burned by that one. maybe just should have kept my mouth shut. Wink

'diversity is our strength'. don't get me started.

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post