SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My wife won an award
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife won an award Login/Join 
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted
2016 Coastie of the year for the USCG reserves.

EVERETT — Petty Officer 1st Class Nicole Cimino, of Lake Stevens, was named the U.S. Coast Guard’s Enlisted Person of the Year-Reserve Component for embodying the service’s core values of honor, respect and devotion to duty.
“I was shocked, I was absolutely shocked. Floored is really the best term,” Cimino told The Daily Herald in a phone interview.
Cimino, 35, is a reserve gunner’s mate assigned to the Coast Guard Port Security Unit 313 in Everett. She is believed to be the first female gunner’s mate from the reserves to achieve the national honor, which comes with a meritorious advancement.
She will receive her new rank as chief petty officer at a May 11 ceremony in Washington, D.C.

Cimino earlier was named the District 13-level Reserve Enlisted Person of the Year.
As lead petty officer of the Port Security Unit’s armory, Cimino supervises maintenance, training and range operations, and maintains the weapons qualifications for the 159 members assigned to the unit, most of them also reservists.
When not deployed, Cimino works as a trauma center nurse at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
Cimino was born and raised near San Jose, California.
“I was doing a swiftwater rescue class. It was honestly the most fun I ever had,” she recalled.
Through that class, she discovered not only something she loved doing but, through Coast Guard service, a way to make it a living. She joined in 2000, and joined the reserves in 2004.
Military service has been a good fit in other ways, too.
“The Coast Guard for me has a get-it-done mentality,” Cimino said. “We get it done, regardless of the weather or whatever else is going on.”
During her time with the Coast Guard, Cimino has served on “nature’s roller coaster” at Station Quillayute River in La Push, where she fell in love with Washington’s outdoor treasures. She also served in Florida, helping rescue three fisherman from a sinking boat, among other adventures. In 2016, she was deployed for nine months to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
She credits her senior officers and the support of her father and husband for her most recent achievement.
“I feel like there are so many good people in the Coast Guard, and so many people who deserve this,” Cimino said.
“It takes the right combination. It take someone willing to put in the hard work, but also being surrounded by the right people who make you a better version of yourself.”

link

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS! Cool

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thank her for her service!

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
That's a nurse - gunners mate you don't mess with. Tell the "Chief" Bravo Zulu!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'll second that Bravo Zulu! Outstanding!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
outstanding

give her my congrats Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Congrats

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are awards and there are awards. It’s hard to imagine one that’s more worthy of praise than something like this. Congratulations to her.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Congratulate her and thank her for her service for me please. That is one hell of an accomplishment.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Congrats to the new Chief!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! An outstanding recognition indeed.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That is GREAT!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulate her and thank her for her service to our country.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Very WELL DONE!

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bravo Zulu

SOY is quite an honor.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Quite an honor!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Congrats to both of you, and thanks!

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Absolutely outstanding! Congratulations.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That is a huge achievement and sounds to be very well earned.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Well done!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post