SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many rope knots do you use frequently?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rope knots do you use frequently? Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
2: square, and whatever is called how one ties shoes.

flashguy

Hopefully, the same thing, because if you're tying a granny, it won't be nearly as stable as a square knot. I quite enjoy showing adults a better way to tie their shoes.

Thanks for that. I never considered using a square instead of a granny.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Whatever you call the knot to tie my shoes. That's it.
A square knot (or granny) on two bites.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like knots. A search and rescue instructor said, "A rope only gets interesting when you tie a knot".

I routinely use a bowline, figure eight, and square knots. I also use hitches: clove, half and timberline. For securing a load I use a diamond hitch.

I've been taught, but seldom use, prussiks and fisherman knots.

I was in Alaska and my landlord starting showing me knots (he'd been in the merchant marine). Monkey fists were cool but I was really impressed when he could cast a line and tie a bowline around a post in what seemed like 1/2 a second.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Whatever you call the knot to tie my shoes. That's it.
A square knot (or granny) on two bites.

Bights?

Posts: 10902 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Rite you are. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Hopefully, the same thing, because if you're tying a granny, it won't be nearly as stable as a square knot. I quite enjoy showing adults a better way to tie their shoes.
I believe my shoelace knots are square, but isn't there a different name for the ones that can be pulled open?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting that knots are possible only in 3-dimensional space. In 2-dimensional space there’s not enough freedom for knots. In 4-dimensional space (and higher), there’s so much freedom that knots won’t remain tied. Topology 101.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Use frequently? Pretty much bowline, though when tarping hay or securing a load I use a trucker’s hutch. Well once in a while a double halfhitch.
Knots I know but rarely use? Square knot, clove hitch (western saddle conch knot), whatever you call the quick release slip knot we used to use to tie horses up before I learned the bowline.

A square knot is the strongest way to tied two ropes together (stronger than two bowlines because it spreads the load instead of concentrating it), but good luck getting one apart after it is pulled on. I jut rarely need to tie two ropes together end to end like that.

Posts: 6911 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Square, Slip, sometimes a clove hitch.

I have forgotten most of them since I got my Pioneering Merit Badge.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Android, but the Apple App store has a GREAT knot app.

Knots 3d

You will be happy you found it. A ton of fun.

Cubmaster, Eagle Scout here. Aside from the old bow knot, I use the tautline most frequently.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

flashguy

I believe my shoelace knots are square, but isn't there a different name for the ones that can be pulled open?

flashguy

You're tying a square knot if you crossed the second time opposite the first time (left over right—right over left). The bunny ears ("bights") just make the square knot slipped.

Year V

Posts: 2628 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The definitive resource for the bowline: http://www.paci.com.au/knots.php

Your basic bowline is NOT stable for climbing. My favorite variations, which are stable, are the EBSB and Lee's Link versions. If you like the Zeppelin bend, you'll like the Lee's Link Bowline. Gommers' analysis is for the true knot nerd.

Year V

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Use frequently? Pretty much bowline, though when tarping hay or securing a load I use a trucker’s hutch. Well once in a while a double halfhitch.
Knots I know but rarely use? Square knot, clove hitch (western saddle conch knot), whatever you call the quick release slip knot we used to use to tie horses up before I learned the bowline.

A square knot is the strongest way to tied two ropes together (stronger than two bowlines because it spreads the load instead of concentrating it), but good luck getting one apart after it is pulled on. I jut rarely need to tie two ropes together end to end like that.

A square knot is not the best bend, and untying a knot is part of the criteria used in evaluating a knot.

Year V

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're tying a square knot if you crossed the second time opposite the first time (left over right—right over left). The bunny ears ("bights") just make the square knot slipped.

You said that better than I could.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
(western saddle conch knot),

What does this mean?

Posts: 13226 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Half hitches, clove hitch, tautline hitch, square knot, blood knot and a couple others including the good old standby knife knot. (So secure it can only be untied with a knife)

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
(western saddle conch knot),

What does this mean?

I think he is referring to this:

clove hitch on the saddle horn.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chance: Is that 1 of your horses? Beautiful creature.

My horse just died a couple of months ago. 1st full size horse my parents let me raise, train, & show. Had her since a baby & she was over 30 years old. She allowed me to learn many knots, but I never remember the actual names of the knots.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
Chance: Is that 1 of your horses? Beautiful creature.

My horse just died a couple of months ago. 1st full size horse my parents let me raise, train, & show. Had her since a baby & she was over 30 years old. She allowed me to learn many knots, but I never remember the actual names of the knots.

No I just googled the rig. Really sorry to hear about your horse. 30 is a really good age. I have lost 3 over the years. It is never easy.

Here is a pic of me and one of mine - his barn name is Bohdi

Sorry, no knots in the picture. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
All of em.

CaptainMike, that gave me a chuckle. I also do NOT question your veracity.

I assumed the Sailors, Scouts, and fisherman would be well versed in their knots. I had forgotten about our resident farmers, horsemen, and climbers.

You all have reminded me of several knots I haven't practiced in some time. I had fun playing with a Prusik and Alpine butterfly.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm enjoying this.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post