SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many rope knots do you use frequently?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rope knots do you use frequently? Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted
So I was recently on a campout with my son's scout troop and because of gusting winds we needed to secure the dining flys (10'x10' tarps over steel tent frames) to keep them from actually flying!

As I walked around and inspected each patrol's efforts I saw all sorts of knots put to use. Bowline, taut line hitch, trucker's hitch, and half hitches seemed to be most frequently used. (I may be forgetting a few) Doing this inspection lead me to wonder about knots.

I suppose I really have two questions for our forum as you all seem the sort to know and use useful things like knots.

1. How many knots do you KNOW?
2. Which knots do you USE frequently.

For me, Bowline, trucker's hitch, half hitch, taut line hitch, figure eight, and square knots seem to get used more than anything. Bowline has to be the knot I use the most.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Square knot and the bowline here. It's surprising how many people have no idea about the bowline - it's an extremely useful knot. I know how to tie a lotta knots and even how to do splices.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Square, slip, bowline. Sometimes a granny, by accident, which is as good as a square, if I won’t need to untie it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I know a knot knot. Yep, I'm clueless. Instructions would be helpful. Willing to learn.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Daily: Bow square knot for my shoes or boots.

Every couple of days (fishing): Improved cinch knot 99% of the time, then palomar knot.

Other: Figure 8, square knot, half hitch, bowline.

Anything else I have to look up.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Eagle scout here. Bowline is probably most used. Square & others follow behind.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I use the surgeon's knot often. Sometimes a bowline or half hitch. Vic Dunaway's uni-knot for fish hooks and lures. Otherwise when unsure I tie a lot.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
In addition to those above, tautline hitches are useful too.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've never had the ability to remember knots. My father was a great knot tier, was extremely nautical.

In the past I have used the Highwayman's Hitch, Half Hitch, Bowline, Improved Clinch Knot, Palomar, Snelled hooks, Bimini Twist, Spliced lines, Prussic knot. don't ask me to tie any of these today!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been around sailboats for 50 years and learned a few. A bowline, square knot, figure 8, half hitch, sheet bend, and cleat hitch will handle almost any knot requirements. In real world applications bowline, square knot and half hitch are most common for me.
Rant about cleat hitch: All that is needed is one complete turn and 2 half hitches. And get the damn hitches correct. And don't wrap the remaining 20 ft of damn line around the cleat. Rant off.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A lifetime working with horses and packing them. Square knot, half-hitch, and bowline, frequently. Love the trucker’s hitch, but to be honest, every time I need it, I have to go look it up and learn it again.

Forgot the clove hitch, which I most often used to tie a horse. My experience was that if a horse sucked back, it was almost impossible to get a “slip knot” undone. A clove hitch can be loosened up, even after a horse sits back on one. Sometimes even better is a clove hitch with a bight, followed by a half hitch over the bight.

Tying to a trailer, or some kind of tie ring, often used a “raid knot.” Probably goes by other names as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Half hitches/round turn w/ half hitches, bowline, square and clove hitch.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
I know a knot knot. Yep, I'm clueless. Instructions would be helpful. Willing to learn.

Craig, check out YouTube and look up "bowline knot" in my opinion it is the most useful rope knot around.

The Palomar knot is a great and easy fishing line knot as well.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I learned how to tie knots twice in my life, once during EOD school in the rigging section and once during confined space rescue training. From that I remember and use one knot, the square knot. One thing that stuck in my mind over the years from the training “ if you can’t tie knots tie lots”.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Half Windsor (Sundays only), Bowline, Square, Half Hitch and Cleat Hitch.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Tautline hitch is useful. I could "throw" a Figure 8 when I was in the scouts. Work shoes: try one of these!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Square, half hitch, bowline, overhand

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Flashback to one of our Scout dads who always taught the roster of about 100 knots in the way most of us could recite the alphabet.

He was asian, and in intro and about 10 times in presentation he would reiterate to remember that "He knot genius". In his accent, it always had the boys cracking up and paying attention, and they remember him from time to time.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Square knot, taut line hitch, clove hitch, prusik, bowline.

I was never a scout, but my pop was and he was also in the Army, I love watching him tie shit with ease.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I use a taut line hitch all of the time. I know quite a few hitches, square knot, sheet bend, clove hitch, figure 8, sheepshank, and a bunch of fishing knots like the perfection loop, bimini twist, palomar, clinch and variations of it, blood knot, etc.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post