SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many rope knots do you use frequently?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rope knots do you use frequently? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Those of you who can splice rope what is your recommendation for learning this skill? I'm going to YouTube it and then go get some practice rope.

I'll take any hints you guys have though the brainpower and experience here is awesome!

Splicing three-strand twisted rope is pretty easy.

As you splice the three tails into the rope, each tail alternates going over and under the strands in the rope.

Basically the only places you can screw up are by going over/under more than one strand at a time or by going over/under one of the tails you're splicing into the rope instead of or in addition to a strand in the rope itself.

A rope where each strand is a different color would make it a bit easier to keep track, but it's really not hard once you've done it a couple of times.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
1. Use new line. Line that has been wetted and dried or weathered will be much more difficult to splice. 3 strand polypropylene is probably the easiest to learn on.

Also, don't use cheap sisal or manila rope. It sucks to splice. It's lumpy and stiff and the ends of the fibers are sharp. (I learned splicing in Boy Scouts and we always had extra crappy sisal rope laying around.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clove hitch, half hitch, bowline, square knot.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post