SIGforum
How many rope knots do you use frequently?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2200062944

November 06, 2018, 09:21 AM
rusbro
How many rope knots do you use frequently?
Most of my knot tying is related to fishing trips. I used some sort of slip knot when securing a bassbuster in the back of my truck (along with a ratchet strap) and a palomar knot to tie on lures.

Other than that, I use the square when I want something more secure/easier to untie than a granny.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,
November 06, 2018, 09:21 AM
Gustofer
Granny knots and bowlines most frequently. I do find the need to use clove hitches and taut line hitches quite often as well with the latter being a very useful knot. Those and various fishing knots are about it.

November 06, 2018, 09:25 AM
sigmonkey
frayed...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
November 06, 2018, 09:37 AM
architect
One of my college roommates was a recreational sailor and had a copy of the Ashley Book of Knots. I was fascinated enough by it to buy a copy of my own and start practicing "fancy" knot work, been doing it ever since. I agree that the plain old bowline is probably the single most useful general-purpose knot.
November 06, 2018, 09:51 AM
sig sailor
As my forum name indicates I am a sailor. A bowline is useful in sailing, but it is often used when other knots would work better. F_L knows what he is talking about.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author
November 06, 2018, 09:53 AM
stkfox
Being a gardener/landscaper etc. and a good all 'round Boy Scout.....4 major ones - - square, half-hitch, bowline, clove hitch...all very useful!

November 06, 2018, 10:19 AM
Chance
I too spend a lot of time around horses. I can tie a rope halter. I regularly use the Bowline, Taut Line, Truckers hitch, Cow hitch, Highwayman's hitch, Quick Release, Alpine Butterfly, and clove hitch.

And then there are the fly fishing knots. Smile

I have the Animated Knots by Grog app on my phone. Best $4.99 I have ever spent.
November 06, 2018, 10:20 AM
c1steve
I use about 20, half for boating and general purpose, and half are fishing knots. My favorites are...
Half hitches, I use them a lot.
Taut line hitch, great for camping.
Palomar, a super fishing knot.
Also bowline, dropper loop, snelling, Albright special.

-c1steve
November 06, 2018, 10:22 AM
smithbc
I use a half hitch about 10 times a day at work. Other than that i use o bowline and a square knot a lot.
November 06, 2018, 10:24 AM
darthfuster
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
So I was recently on a campout with my son's scout troop and because of gusting winds we needed to secure the dining flys (10'x10' tarps over steel tent frames) to keep them from actually flying!

As I walked around and inspected each patrol's efforts I saw all sorts of knots put to use. Bowline, taut line hitch, trucker's hitch, and half hitches seemed to be most frequently used. (I may be forgetting a few) Doing this inspection lead me to wonder about knots.

I suppose I really have two questions for our forum as you all seem the sort to know and use useful things like knots.

1. How many knots do you KNOW?
2. Which knots do you USE frequently.

For me, Bowline, trucker's hitch, half hitch, taut line hitch, figure eight, and square knots seem to get used more than anything. Bowline has to be the knot I use the most.

I use the genealogy knot...........a whooooooole buncha granies. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
November 06, 2018, 10:27 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
I know a knot knot. Yep, I'm clueless. Instructions would be helpful. Willing to learn.

This is one of many websites...it will point you in the right direction Smile...

https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
November 06, 2018, 10:29 AM
jhe888
Thanks to the Scouts, I know the square knot, bowline, half hitch, tautline hitch, clove hitch, and figure 8.

I also know several fishing knots; blood knot, clinch knot, improved clinch knot, and Palomar knot. There are a few others I sort of know, but have to check on.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
November 06, 2018, 10:33 AM
sigfreund
The parcel bend and granny knots the most. The latter for closing laundry bags and trash bags as it doesn’t slip or tend to open on its own. The former for, well …, parcels and other things like bundles of sticks that I want to cinch down as tightly as possible. I know other knots more or less well, but seldom have the need or opportunity to use them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 06, 2018, 10:35 AM
Chris17404
Whatever you call the knot to tie my shoes. That's it.

November 06, 2018, 10:52 AM
CaptainMike
All of em.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!
November 06, 2018, 10:56 AM
PHPaul
Routinely use bowline, square knot, half hitch, clove hitch, sheet bend and sheepshank.

When I first quit smoking, I took up macarame' to keep my hands busy and my mind off smoking. Learned some new stuff and some new applications of old stuff. Still use some of them occasionally, like a monkey fist or a crown knot.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
November 06, 2018, 11:09 AM
BGULL
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
.......I have the Animated Knots by Grog app on my phone. Best $4.99 I have ever spent.

I second the Grog app. MY knot knowledge is limited by the infrequent need to tie a knot, so having a good, ready reference is an outright necessity.

Bill Gullette
November 06, 2018, 11:14 AM
flashguy
2: square, and whatever is called how one ties shoes.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
November 06, 2018, 11:25 AM
Keystoner
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
2: square, and whatever is called how one ties shoes.

flashguy

Hopefully, the same thing, because if you're tying a granny, it won't be nearly as stable as a square knot. I quite enjoy showing adults a better way to tie their shoes.

Year V
November 06, 2018, 11:25 AM
trapper189
Clove hitch follow by a couple half hitches, bowline, reef (square), figure 8, sheepshank and sheet bend are what I use regularly.

Occasionally, a monkey fist when trying to through a rope over something.

I splice my own lines as well.