SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Storage capacity of radioactive water at Fukuskima power plant nears limit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storage capacity of radioactive water at Fukuskima power plant nears limit Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
The Russian nuclear ship thing got me wondering about this little disaster

http://www.stltoday.com/news/w...9b-f06fdc5ddde7.html

The number of storage tanks for contaminated water and other materials has continuously increased at Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc.'s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in Japan, and space for still more tanks is approaching the limit.
Behind this is the fact that a way to get rid of treated water, or tritium water, has not been decided yet. The government and TEPCO will have to make a tough decision on disposal of tritium water down the road.

At the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, groundwater and other water enters the reactor buildings that suffered meltdowns, where the water becomes contaminated. This produces about 160 tons of contaminated water per day. Purification devices remove many of the radioactive materials, but tritium — a radioactive isotope of hydrogen — cannot be removed for technical reasons. Thus, treated water that includes only tritium continues to increase.

Currently, the storage tanks have a capacity of about 1.13 million tons. About 1.07 million tons of that capacity is now in use, of which about 80 percent is for such treated water.
Space for tanks, which has been made by razing forests and other means, amounts to about 230,000 square meters — equivalent to almost 32 soccer fields. There is almost no more available vacant space.

Efforts have been made to increase storage capacity by constructing bigger tanks when the time comes for replacing the current ones. But a senior official of the Economy, Trade and Industry Ministry said, "Operation of tanks is close to its capacity."

TEPCO plans to secure 1.37 million tons of storage capacity by the end of 2020, but it has not yet decided on a plan for after 2021. Akira Ono, chief decommissioning officer of TEPCO, said, "It is impossible to continue to store [treated water] forever."

Tritium exists in nature, such as in seas and rivers, and is also included in tap water. The ordinary operations of nuclear plants produce tritium as well. Nuclear plants, both in Japan and overseas, have so far diluted it and released it into the sea or elsewhere. An average of 380 trillion becquerels had been annually released into the sea across Japan during the five years before the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant.

Bottles that contain the treated water continue to be brought one after another to a building for chemical analysis on the grounds of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant. The tritium concentration of the treated water is up to more than 1 million becquerels per liter, which is more than 10 times higher than the national standard for release into the sea — 60,000 becquerels per liter. But if diluted, it can be released into the sea.
Regarding disposal methods for the treated water, the industry ministry's working group compiled a report in June 2016 that said that the method of release into the sea is the cheapest and quickest among five ideas it examined. The ideas were (1) release into the sea, (2) release by evaporation, (3) release after electrolysis, (4) burial underground and (5) injection into geological layers.

After that, the industry ministry also established an expert committee to look into measures against harmful misinformation. Although a year and a half has passed since the first meeting of the committee, it has not yet reached a conclusion.

At the eighth meeting of the committee held on Friday, various opinions were expressed. One expert said, "While the fishery industry [in Fukushima and other prefectures] is in the process of revival, should we dispose of [the treated water] now?" The other said, "In order to advance the decommissioning, the number of tanks should be decreased at an early date."
The committee plans to hold a public hearing in Fukushima Prefecture and other places to hear citizens' opinions on methods of disposal

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottles that contain the treated water continue to be brought one after another to a building for chemical analysis on the grounds of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant. The tritium concentration of the treated water is up to more than 1 million becquerels per liter, which is more than 10 times higher than the national standard for release into the sea — 60,000 becquerels per liter. But if diluted, it can be released into the sea.

This is a bogus strategy. If you dilute it enough, than you can release into the sea. But the total amount you're releasing into the sea still remains the same. It's like saying I have a 55 gallon drum of oil that I can't release to the sea but if I mix it with a 1000 55-gallon drums of water then I can release to the sea. I'm still dumping a 55-gallon drum of oil into the sea. net resut.

I may be missing something but why not just boil the water off then bury what remains. Or night sites for everybody!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
If they dump the radioactive material, deep into the seas....Isn't that sort of how Godzilla got started?

Unrepentant Godzilla Fan

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
This is a bogus strategy. If you dilute it enough, than you can release into the sea. But the total amount you're releasing into the sea still remains the same. It's like saying I have a 55 gallon drum of oil that I can't release to the sea but if I mix it with a 1000 55-gallon drums of water then I can release to the sea. I'm still dumping a 55-gallon drum of oil into the sea. net resut.

I may be missing something but why not just boil the water off then bury what remains. Or night sites for everybody!

The solution to pollution is dilution.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I may be missing something but why not just boil the water off then bury what remains.

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen and is a gas. It’s presumably in the water because it’s dissolved there like other gases such as oxygen (that fish breathe) or carbon dioxide (that makes our beer and soda fizzy). If we boil the water (turn it into a gas as well), the oxygen, carbon dioxide, or tritium isn’t going to be left behind in the bottom of the pot. Rather than being dissolved in the water, it will spread out across the landscape.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Maybe they can use all that extra tritium for some awesome night sites.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
If they dump the radioactive material, deep into the seas....Isn't that sort of how Godzilla got started?

Unrepentant Godzilla Fan

There haven't been any new Godzilla movies in, well, at least a few months now. I suppose it's time for another one.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Just sent a link to this article to Trijicon CS, I'll let y'all know what they say. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The solution to pollution is dilution.

my engineering buddy from decades ago revamped this into his version "the delusion of a solution ignores pollution". He thought he was being inventive.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing that popped in my head.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I got curious about how tritium is used in night sights and watches. Found this article that talks about it. An interesting factoid in the later part of the article states

quote:
Tritium gas is what we might call “mildly radioactive.” Its half life is 12.36 years – much, much less than the over 1600 years half life of radium, a highly radioactive material that had been used on watch dials and hands over half a century ago

So how long ago did this accident happen? And how long have they been storing this contaminated water?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

So how long ago did this accident happen? And how long have they been storing this contaminated water?

Let me Google that for you...

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I got curious about how tritium is used in night sights and watches. Found this article that talks about it. An interesting factoid in the later part of the article states

quote:
Tritium gas is what we might call “mildly radioactive.” Its half life is 12.36 years – much, much less than the over 1600 years half life of radium, a highly radioactive material that had been used on watch dials and hands over half a century ago

The problem is that they keep making more. As water passes through the radioactive areas the hydrogen gains an extra neutron becoming tritium or as the H2O molecule called heavy water.

The solution is simple. Purify the heavy water out. Make hydrogen bombs. Drop the bombs on North Korea, Iran, and California.

Multi-tasking at its finest.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Freeze it. Bury it in ant artica.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Sink it to 20,000 fathoms ...

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Could you throw it into a volcano?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Something ain't right with that report. Tritium is created from normal Hydrogen by absorbing TWO neutrons. That requires a very high neutron field or source, like an nuclear reactor operating at full power. A shutdown reactor, even one that melted down, just isn't generating much in the way of neutrons. Certainly not enough to transform Hydrogen to Deuterium to Tritium in any quantity. And some of those neutrons would be sopped up by the Oxygen in the water, at about the same rate as the Hydrogen.

For example, Three Mile Island's core was completely trashed, but didn't have this issue at all.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They may as well put it in the ocean. It's gonna end up there eventually, unfortunately.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post