SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefox versus Chrome
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox versus Chrome Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I find this interesting as I have FF on my MAC desktop. It has gotten horribly slow. I am on a DSL line and hate to have to change my email address if I change providers. Is there anything else I can do?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, are you talking about an email account provided by your internet service provider?

That is completely unrelated to what browser you use to interact with the internet.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Maybe consider using the Brave browser as an alternative. It has built in adblocking. https://brave.com/

Alternatively, if using chrome or FF, try installing the the "Ublock Origin" & "Privacy Badger" extensions to help block all of the 3rd party sites (advertisements, tracking, etc) that the page tries to load when you connect to a website. NoScript is also useful, but you have to tweak it more.

Another good choice is to get a raspberry pi, install PiHole on it (DNS blackhole) and have your devices on your network use it for their DNS gateway. That has been very successful for me to speed up web browsing.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am with Frontier now and have had a Frontier email address for many years. If I switch providers, I would loose it.

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
I find this interesting as I have FF on my MAC desktop. It has gotten horribly slow. I am on a DSL line and hate to have to change my email address if I change providers. Is there anything else I can do?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, are you talking about an email account provided by your internet service provider?

That is completely unrelated to what browser you use to interact with the internet.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Both have gone to crap since abandoning Adobe. I have to try a few browsers sometimes to get some things to work.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
The current release, Pale Moon 28.1.0, is available here https://www.palemoon.org/
for both Windows and Linux. I have used it now for about a year having left Waterfox and FF behind and I can state that it is a delight and pleasingly stable. They do block NoScript as it is troublesome, which they explain, but that is relatively easy to circumvent and I do so.

I'll give Pale Moon a try.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Waterfox, a 64-bit variant of Firefox is faster than plain ol' Firefox. Smile
Been on Waterfox and DDG for quite some time.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am with Frontier now and have had a Frontier email address for many years. If I switch providers, I would loose it.

quote:
quote:

Unless I'm missing something also, maladat is telling you right. Frontier is your ISP. Waterfox/Pale Moon/Opera/Chrome/etc. are browsers. DuckDuckGo/Bing/Google/etc. are search engines.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
quote:

If you're having a problem with Firefox being slow, you can use a different browser. The browser you use doesn't have anything to do with your internet service provider or the email account supplied by your internet service provider. You can use any browser with your existing ISP.

If your internet service itself is too slow, perhaps if you call your ISP, they can offer a faster internet package.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
doesn't matter how bad or slow Firefox gets, I will never, ever have Chrome on any of my machines

My sentiments, also.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I use Firefox and it doesn't seem slow to me. I have my options set up to delete cookies, cache and history every time I close the browser. I use uBlock Origin for ad blocking and have to remember to update it every month or so. The only problem I have with it is that I have "Do Not Track" set to on in normal browsing and some sites don't function right unless you turn it off because they want to track you anyway.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Puddle Pirate
Picture of kornesque
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
Maybe consider using the Brave browser as an alternative. It has built in adblocking. https://brave.com/

Brave and done. They have a mobile version too that works well.

"Happiness is red and free."

Posts: 1794 | Location: Low Country, SC | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Both have gone to crap since abandoning Adobe.

You mean Flash? My Lord: That PoS software is probably the most important thing to eliminate from your computer, bar none. It's a horrible cesspool of crap code, riddled with security vulnerabilities. Even when I still had no intention of ever using Apple devices I applauded Steve Jobs' stance on not allowing that crapware on Apple mobile devices.

And it will EOL in 2020.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Right now I have Chrome, Safari, Brave, Firefox, Opera, and Vivaldi browsers installed on my Mac. I've been trying to figure out what to replace Chrome with. I am liking Vivaldi the most so far, it has most of the customization I am looking for.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Opera. It has consistently been the best browser in every aspect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

You mean Flash? My Lord: That PoS software is probably the most important thing to eliminate from your computer, bar none. It's a horrible cesspool of crap code, riddled with security vulnerabilities. Even when I still had no intention of ever using Apple devices I applauded Steve Jobs' stance on not allowing that crapware on Apple mobile devices.

And it will EOL in 2020.

I mean Adobe for PDF forms and documents mainly. They disabled support for Adobe plugins and have implmented their own viewers that do not always function the same. I have to open them separately in Acrobat.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

And it will EOL in 2020.

I mean Adobe for PDF forms and documents mainly. They disabled support for Adobe plugins and have implmented their own viewers that do not always function the same. I have to open them separately in Acrobat.

Forget Acrobat and try freeware PDF-XChange Viewer & PDF-XChange Editor. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16213 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh. Must've been recently. I wonder why they did that?

Not that I'd use Acrobat, either. Acrobat, too, has been a cesspool of security exploits for several years now.

<looks...>

Did you know you can override that and let the Adobe plugin work again? Check How to disable the built-in PDF viewer and use another viewer if you like to live dangerously.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post