SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefox versus Chrome
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox versus Chrome Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
FF has been getting slower and slower recently so I gave Chrome a shot this morning. Night and Day.

Now I hate to give Google any credit; commie, U.S. haters that they are, but FF has become the typical bloated browser like so many others. Yes, I'm running some add-on ad blockers, but life without them is not worth browsing.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I used to run FF. It was good but used a lot of RAM. I've been using Opera for a couple years now and have been satisfied w/ it.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still running FF with adblockers since I have most of my passwords saved. I do make sure to update FF alot.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
Still running FF with adblockers since I have most of my passwords saved. I do make sure to update FF alot.

Dashlane (password manager) Will solve your saved password problem. There is a free version which has most functions except syncing multiple computers and is limited to 50 passwords. I ran the free version for about 6 months and then graduated to the paid version. I like it. There are other such programs around as well. Much more secure than saving passwords in your browser.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Firefox knows that it slows down after a time, so it offers to "clean up" for you. If you disregard this help, then it will continue to slow down.

Chrome is a Google product. It tracks your movements all over the 'net. You can't turn it off. I'm not willing to hand over ALL my personal info to the company that professes to "Do no Evil!"

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There addins available for Chrome that block adds. Also when I switched over to chrome at work (they stopped supporting FF) Chrome imported all of my bookmarks and saved logins from FF.

quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Dashlane (password manager) Will solve your saved password problem. There is a free version which has most functions except syncing multiple computers and is limited to 50 passwords. I ran the free version for about 6 months and then graduated to the paid version. I like it. There are other such programs around as well. Much more secure than saving passwords in your browser.

+1 for Dashlane. I've been a paying customer since 2014. It works across browsers, devices, domains, computers. Everything is secure (I can even use it on public computers [e.g.,hotel business centers] without compromising my data or having to remember passwords. It's on my list of must-have apps.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Waterfox, a 64-bit variant of Firefox is faster than plain ol' Firefox. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I'm running Firefox "Q" which I thought was a 64 bit browser. I may have to go back to Waterfox.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've been using Chrome exclusively for a couple years now but just earlier this week have been wading back into Firefox, and Thunderbird to access Gmail. I don't like Gmail's new "look" and the way it handles replies.

Firefox had minor issues today on eBay and Lowes.com but Chrome came through.

I think I'll give Opera and it's email client a shot. Just read that they are no longer bundled and Opera is in it's death throes.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I'm running Firefox "Q" which I thought was a 64 bit browser. I may have to go back to Waterfox.

Firefox Quantum is 64-bit too but I still prefer Waterfox.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

It’s also less piggy on ram than the old Firefox code base. But something is jacked up with how it’s handling JavaScript on my Datadog dashboards so I’ve gone back to Safari.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've been using MS Edge for a couple of months and like it better than anything I've tried.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
doesn't matter how bad or slow Firefox gets, I will never, ever have Chrome on any of my machines

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

It’s also less piggy on ram than the old Firefox code base. But something is jacked up with how it’s handling JavaScript on my Datadog dashboards so I’ve gone back to Safari.

Most everyone is moving away from Java.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have been using Firefox for years and it works fine. Auto updates keep it current. Tried Chrome and hated it. I use a couple of adblockers that do the job nicely.

ABP and adremover. Both free.

Edited to add: I checked adremover and only the trial period is free. Don't know how much it would cost to use the paid version. When it runs out, I will probably find another free ad blocker.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
doesn't matter how bad or slow Firefox gets, I will never, ever have Chrome on any of my machines

This.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have Chrome on my system, but, given Google's behaviour, stopped using it long ago. Was using a browser that uses Chrome's rendering engine until they screwed it up, lately. So now I'm using Firefox exclusively.

I haven't noticed any slowdowns and I've been using it ever since I built the computer three years ago or so.

Every once-in-a-while I do a "cleanup": Whack all my saved data except bookmarks. In fact: It's about time for a house-cleaning.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
If one is comfortable and familiar with FireFox but seeks far faster response AND is working in a 64 bit environ then the open source FF fork called PaleMoon is blazingly fast, familiar, and accepts most of the add-ons that Mozilla's FF accepts. They have a nice compendium of add-ons that they have tested, including popular advert blockers, see here https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

The current release, Pale Moon 28.1.0, is available here https://www.palemoon.org/
for both Windows and Linux. I have used it now for about a year having left Waterfox and FF behind and I can state that it is a delight and pleasingly stable. They do block NoScript as it is troublesome, which they explain, but that is relatively easy to circumvent and I do so.

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I find this interesting as I have FF on my MAC desktop. It has gotten horribly slow. I am on a DSL line and hate to have to change my email address if I change providers. Is there anything else I can do?

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post