SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Unless your other locations make (net) $3 million a year. Any idiot owner that closes a location that nets $300k a year because it's an hour away, I would stop working for ASAP.

Yep.

I resigned yesterday effective immediately.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Yep.

So what's the plan moving forward?

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
Yep.

Well boys...that right there is the sticky wicket. Things will be a tad tight for a bit, but my blood pressure has been off the chart and after yesterday it was my wife who encouraged me to bail.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yep.

Well boys...that right there is the sticky wicket. Things will be a tad tight for a bit, but my blood pressure has been off the chart and after yesterday it was my wife who encouraged me to bail.

Given the NYD email exchange: Can't say as I blame you.

My situation was both similar and different. My management had a tendency to put too much on my plate, fail to follow recommendations, etc. At at least two different points, in the last couple years, I came this >< close.

I stayed with it, but it was easier because I was so close to retirement. When it got close enough I simply told them "No more."

Coincidentally: I just got a call this morning, from them needing me to bail them out. An issue about which I'd warned them. Several times. "Ok, but the free ride's over. This will be chargeable. <This> is my rate." (Hint: It's a lot.)

They've decided to put the problem "on hold" for a bit

I think you did the right thing, R. Far too many people work far too long at jobs, and for employers, that are simply not good for them.

Life's too short for that shit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
In my past 50 some years of working for people, I found it hard to work for a Woman. I usually last only a few months. Even in Civil Service positions where I was employed, Women supervisors seemed to muddle up the daily run of operations, causing key individuals (men) to either retire or transfer to other departments.

IMO....Women who I worked for often confused emotion with logic.

Interesting comment. As a female employer, I’ve found the staff that stick with me the longest and get along with me best are the men. Huh.

In my many more years of supervisory experience, If you want dedicated workers who arrive to work on time, take few sick days, don't get into "cat fights" or stab each other in the back and who will produce a product on time, go with men.

If you want to go shopping with them, hire the girls.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
In my past 50 some years of working for people, I found it hard to work for a Woman. I usually last only a few months. Even in Civil Service positions where I was employed, Women supervisors seemed to muddle up the daily run of operations, causing key individuals (men) to either retire or transfer to other departments.

IMO....Women who I worked for often confused emotion with logic.

Interesting comment. As a female employer, I’ve found the staff that stick with me the longest and get along with me best are the men. Huh.

In my many more years of supervisory experience, If you want dedicated workers who arrive to work on time, take few sick days, don't get into "cat fights" or stab each other in the back and who will produce a product on time, go with men.

If you want to go shopping with them, hire the girls.

It may not be original, probably not, but this occurred to me recently.
Leave the last word off the oft-quoted saw, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"
This is what I have learned, and I would add that the "scorned" word is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
<UPDATE>

Guys, I know from a business point-of-view "why" to let him go; this is not my first firing. But...what I am struggling with a bit...a lot....is that part of me feels I owe it to him to chew his ass and point blank tell him his job is in jeopardy.

I don't take lightly the fact that the man left another $70k job to come work with us...not my problem, I know. But it's how I'm wired...it's still something I think about.

You are a good guy, this proves it.

In my opinion he has gone way beyond deserving this. To put myself in his shoes, I would never have gone that far off reservation, disobeying direct orders. I have a very much do it my way attitude, but I also follow direct orders, and only do it my way where there is wiggle room.

He had none on the things he did, so in my eyes he was disobeying his superiors to spite you and the owner. That's not something you can fix with a talk, he's way beyond that.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Just made it to the end.

I remember how excited you were to get this one, and I'm sorry the owner ruined it. She doesn't deserve you and I hope someone who does finds you quickly.

This thread is a good example of your character, and I hope the right person finds it and makes an offer quickly.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yep.

Good luck, you'll find something that's a better fit.

I just quit the highest paying job I've ever had 2 weeks ago with no prospects, it does take balls, balls or stupidity, or maybe balls and desperation.
2 interviews next week, the break has done me good, as I'm sure it will you.

I quit a job a couple years ago and has a dr appt a couple days after, blood pressure was at an all time low, as money runs out, it goes back up though lol!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I know restaurants are risky, but it's a shame you aren't the owner instead of the general manager.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Two interviews with two different companies this week already. Both are solid companies and seem to have genuine interest in me, both have called me for additional interviews next week....feeling good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Hoping everything works out for the best. Semper Fi....

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The restaurant business being what it is...

Round up some investors and a decent chef, and start your own place?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The restaurant business being what it is...

Round up some investors and a decent chef, and start your own place?

Or buy the current place for pennies on the dollar. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post