SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    19-year-old Ashli Blain, Firefighting Helo Pilot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

19-year-old Ashli Blain, Firefighting Helo Pilot Login/Join 
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted
This young lady is going places. Her parents should be very proud.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Remarkable young lady!
She’s going to be successful in life.

Posts: 3118 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hot stuff! pun intended Big Grin

Seriously nice to see someone that young have such commitment and talent. :thumbsup:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16180 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Awesome young lady.

Posts: 1780 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to think that for everyone of the antifa/blm idiots there are a hundred young people like this wonderful young lady. Maybe overly optimistic but one can always hope

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Probably has more hours and experience than most rotary wing pilots.

Copilot in a CH47?? Now that's impressive. My college roommate flew them in Vietnam.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impressive. I hope she keeps on flying and uses the accounting degree as a back up.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Her parents are definitely proud, they own the company she flies for...

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the helicopter forums this is being discussed.

Some say her dad owns the helicopters so .....

Some say she earned it.

She is not flying fire right now, and there are a lot of people that have been risking it all, where is their story?

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Good for her, but I’m baffled at how a 19 year old has enough hours for this job; lots of ex-military that do not seem to make the cut.

Posts: 13226 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Good for her, but I’m baffled at how a 19 year old has enough hours for this job; lots of ex-military that do not seem to make the cut.

Her dad and uncle own Billings Flying Service (the company she works for). Her airtime is a bit... umm... cheaper than others, as the company owns 6 Chinooks and two other Bell helicopters.

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Nice to see her taking an interest in the family business!

Thanks for an upbeat story to start the day. Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Good for her. I suspect she she received harder training and scrutiny because of the parent’s business, no free pass. Yes the opportunity was there but she worked and achieved it on her own. We need this generation of kids and young adults to be like her. Shared with my 19-year old daughter.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Many opportunities in aviation are a result of being in the right place at the right time. She absolutely got a leg up as the owner’s daughter, but she still had to do the work. Kudos to her for going after it. I dunno about studying accounting though - I can’t imagine not being bored beyond belief after flying fires.

Posts: 6911 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According the FAA database, she has the following listed:

COMMERCIAL PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE SEA
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE AND HELICOPTER
GLIDER

Type Ratings:
C/CE-525S - subject to PIC limitations
C/S-70 - VFR only

FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE
GLIDER

I'd say that she has experience.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

I'd say that she has experience.

She has some ratings, not necessarily experience.

She's carded, which means she meets the minimums. She's a copilot, and despite the interview, not a "command pilot" at nineteen.

It's great that she has the opportnity to play along with her family, and participate. Doing a little flying then taking the rest of the season off isn't what fire pilots do. That's more of a sampling. More power to her.

I was an active commercial pilot at eighteen, too. No reason why not. It helps to have a family to pay for it and provide the aircraft.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post