SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it possible to mirror an iPhone to an iPad with no wifi network??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to mirror an iPhone to an iPad with no wifi network?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Kids still aren’t very good navigating the iPad for shows.
Is it possible to mirror my wife’s iPhone to the iPad so she does not have to pull the iPad from the mount every time the kiddos want to watch something different?

My understanding of AirPlay is a WiFi network is required. While driving there is no WiFi network.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Assuming you have an iPhone 7(what I have), you could set the iPhone to a hotspot and let the iPad connect to it. Or the iPhone could be set to share it’s internet connection with the iPad. Either should work, I think.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Assuming you have an iPhone 7(what I have), you could set the iPhone to a hotspot and let the iPad connect to it. Or the iPhone could be set to share it’s internet connection with the iPad. Either should work, I think.

What he wants to do is mirror what is seen on the iPhone to the iPad, not simply share an Internet connection, so that his wife can navigate the iPad from her phone.

I can't imagine it can be done but would be really curious if it could.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for portable monitors, I came across iphones and ipads being used. So I simply googled "mirroring iphone to ipad" and this is what came out. Is this overly simplistic? There are four more ways so there is a total of five ways to mirror iPhone to iPad.

THERE... ARE... FIVE... APPS! [/Picard]

Link

quote:

Mirroring iPhone to iPad with Airplay is a simple process. Simply connect your iPhone and iPad to the same Wi-Fi network and then swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone's and iPad's screen so as to open the Control panel. Tap on Airplay and then tap on the iOS devices you want to connect to from the Airplay list.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
When I was looking for portable monitors, I came across iphones and ipads being used. So I simply googled "mirroring iphone to ipad" and this is what came out. Is this overly simplistic? There are four more ways so there is a total of five ways to mirror iPhone to iPad.

THERE... ARE... FIVE... APPS! [/Picard]

Link

quote:

Mirroring iPhone to iPad with Airplay is a simple process. Simply connect your iPhone and iPad to the same Wi-Fi network and then swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone's and iPad's screen so as to open the Control panel. Tap on Airplay and then tap on the iOS devices you want to connect to from the Airplay list.

I located that prior to posting but it reads to me that they all utilize AirPlay which requires a WiFi network except the last which requires a USB wired connection which is not possible with the iPad.

————————————————

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Mirroring one device to another implies that you have some form of connectivity. That means either wi-fi, bluetooth, or a direct connection.

Your post suggests you have none of the above. I can't see how you can achieve your stated goal without some form of connectivity.

Edited to add: Perhaps you can look into setting up an in-car wi-fi network. AT&T technology makes it possible to receive Internet in your car, and you can set up a wi-fi router in your car.

https://www.techradar.com/news...ot-on-wheels-1305406

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Mirroring one device to another implies that you have some form of connectivity. That means either wi-fi, bluetooth, or a direct connection.

Your post suggests you have none of the above. I can't see how you can achieve your stated goal without some form of connectivity.

Edited to add: Perhaps you can look into setting up an in-car wi-fi network. AT&T technology makes it possible to receive Internet in your car, and you can set up a wi-fi router in your car.

Bluetooth is available.

————————————————

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

Bluetooth is available.

I believe Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to mirror a display.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Bluetooth_vs_Wifi

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about doing this in your vehicle?

Just plug a WiFi router into your vehicle. I did this for several years and had an SSD plugged into it that I had ripped the kid's DVDs to. I'd did have to splice a cigarette light plug into the wire that plugged into the router. The router ran on 12v.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Are you talking about doing this in your vehicle?

Just plug a WiFi router into your vehicle. I did this for several years and had an SSD plugged into it that I had ripped the kid's DVDs to. I'd did have to splice a cigarette light plug into the wire that plugged into the router. The router ran on 12v.

I had thought of this but then I won’t be able to use the LTE cell signal correct as it will be trying to reach the internet via the router which has none.

I forgot I have a portable HDMI monitor I can use instead of an iPad but it would seem that lighting to HDMI adapters don’t allow for Netflix and the likes.

Guess she is just going to have to reach back there or they are going to have to watch whatever is on.

————————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Correct, LTE will not be available with my idea.

Next idea:
Set your phone up as a hotspot, connect your wife's iPhone and the kid's iPad to your hotspot and then mirror you wife's iPhone to the iPad. Her iPhone will be connected to the internet through your hotspot. I have no idea if it will work, but it's worth a try.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's raining, kids are watching a movie so I'm playing with the mirroring to see if my idea will work. Trying it on out home network first, I can't seem to mirror my wife's iPhone on my son's iPad. Her phone is 11.4 and his iPad is 11.2 if that matters. Reading Apple's explanation, AirPlay will mirror these devices to and Apple TV and makes no mention of mirroring the devices to each other. Reading outside Apple, it looks like an app is needed to accomplish this?

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reading Apple's explanation, AirPlay will mirror these devices to and Apple TV and makes no mention of mirroring the devices to each other.

That's all my iPhone or iPad will do. Only choice is Apple TV.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Any way to add a WIFI network/router to car that feeds off the iPhone connections? Then you could use the options above.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post