SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    33 pounds of fentanyl – enough to wipe out Massachusetts – seized in Boston
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

33 pounds of fentanyl – enough to wipe out Massachusetts – seized in Boston Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Looks like some Dreamers have been busy helping this country achieve greatness.

Boston authorities said they seized more than 33 pounds of fentanyl—enough to kill millions of people—in connection with one of Massachusetts’ biggest drug busts ever.

In announcing the results of a six-month wiretap probe called "Operation High Hopes," prosecutors said the synthetic opioid was being sold on the street by a drug gang with links to Mexico’s notorious Sinaloa Cartel, the drug organization once led by Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán.

“I want to be clear about the size and scope here,” District Attorney Daniel Conley said at a news conference Thursday. “Massachusetts’ fentanyl trafficking statute covers quantities greater than 10 grams. That threshold represents less than 1/1000 of the quantity we’ve taken off the street.”

He said the number of overdoses the seized fentanyl could have caused “is truly staggering.”

“Individuals who buy and sell at this level aren’t users,” Conley said. “They’re not small-time dealers, either. They’re certainly not selling to support a habit. They’re trafficking in addictive substances that claim more lives in Massachusetts than all homicides, all suicides, and all car crashes, statewide, combined.”

The Boston Herald quoted a law enforcement source as saying that the 33-plus pounds of fentanyl is enough to kill more than 7 million people in its raw form. Massachusetts population is 6.8 million.

Authorities said the biggest fish netted in the probe, conducted by Boston police and agents from the federal Drug Enforcement Agency, was Robert Contreras, 42, of Boston. He was arrested at his home Thursday and is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Conley said the probe’s initial focus was a Contreras customer, Edward Soto-Perez, 43, of Boston.

He said he took the “rare step of approving a wiretap” because Soto-Perez had been so adept at protecting the addresses of his stash houses and the identities of his suppliers.

Conley said the wiretap eventually led to Soto-Perez's biggest supplier, Contreras, and established Contreras' direct ties to the Sinaloa cartel.

The DA said 36 others were also arrested in the probe and that investigators also seized cocaine, heroin, two guns and $300,000 in cash.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...eized-in-boston.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
This article elaborates a bit more. Scary shit.

http://www.bostonherald.com/ne..._bay_state_s_biggest

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Put them to death.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Reading this I have a question, if this stuff is so potent and can be absorbed through the skin is there a possibility of it being used in a terrorist attack? It seems that if you could create an aerosol in a large crowd it would be devastating.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Looks like some Dreamers have been busy helping this country achieve greatness.

What does that have to do with this article?

Let's not confuse issues here.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Reading this I have a question, if this stuff is so potent and can be absorbed through the skin is there a possibility of it being used in a terrorist attack? It seems that if you could create an aerosol in a large crowd it would be devastating.

Yes. Quite possible. Fentanyl, not so much. It's lethality in absorption/airborne is frankly exaggerated... but Carfentanil, which has been seized in significant amounts as well, is much much more lethal than even fentanyl, and more like powdered sugar and quite readily aerosoled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...risis_chemical_agent

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems to me there's probably cheaper, less exotic, more effective ways to carry out an attack. Like a rental truck. The real threat with this stuff is to everyone who deals with the drug trade on either side, not in terrorism.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does that have to do with this article?

Let's not confuse issues here.

I admit that I may have taken some artistic license here. There may not be a single "Dreamer" in this group, or there may be several. I don't know. Apologies for my sarcasm and venting!

However, there are undoubtedly many illegals (in the immigration sense) involved in this bust, and I have trouble hiding my disgust at the daily headlines, such as this, that involve people that are in this country conducting these types of activities that are wreaking such havoc. It makes my blood boil.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

I proposed something similar and was denounced as a lunatic.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Put them to death.

Yes. And the accomplices abroad.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Put them to death.

Yes. And the accomplices abroad.

Agreed, these assholes are no less a threat to our national security than any other terrorist groups.

Treat them, and their organizations, just like any other invading force. Run them down and kill them.

How many of our people have to die because of that shit?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mass is too damm liberal to exterminate these vermin. Kill them and everyone they've associated in this endeavor.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post