SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA To Dog Owners: Food Allergies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA To Dog Owners: Food Allergies Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
So, my Golden/Poodle mix was throwing up more than expected; maybe once per week (that we could see). We took him to the vet, and long story short, did a food allergy blood test. Seems he is allergic to beef, chicken, liver, kangaroo (that is a thing, apparently), milk, liver, rabbit, and venison. So, that night we went to Big R and got him some new food that didn't have any of the offending ingredients (had to read the ingredients carefully, as even the "Lamb and Rice" food had chicken as the #1 ingredient).

Before, he wouldn't eat right away. He would sit there, and about 1 out of every 3 meals, just walk away and not eat. Now, he eats his new food right away. Apparently, he knew the food made him ill but we were too dense to figure it out.

So, anybody got a picky eater, or a dog that throws up more than usual, you might want to get this checked out.

And, here are the obligatory cute dog photos.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
What great images, love it. and a great PSA, we are lucky on this end, no food issues with my standard poodles.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for heads up, we have a brittany spaniel that is a picky eater.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Cute dog. Too bad about the food allergies.

I'm glad my mini poodle mixes don't have any allergies that I know of. But it was a lot of work to get them to eat their dog food.

Finally settled on salmon mix that was higher priced. And I had to feed them once a day at 5 and I had to stay with them until they finished. But one of them still wanted to play some before setting down to eating.

Other than that, they eat any kind of treats or pork bones especially spare ribs. We worked well as a team when it comes to spare ribs. I did have to learn not to clean the whole bone and also leave the cartilage parts which I love myself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband & I both have allergies. He became a nutritionist because of his own allergies. We now have 2 dogs & a cat. Cat has really bad allergies. It is really hard to find cat food without chicken, eggs, or apples. Had 1 she did great with, then they changed the formula so had to experiment with other stuff. Luckily I know of a butcher that supplies raw food for pets. Surprisingly, my cat does really well with beef & cats usually don't.

My male dog doesn't seem to have any allergies. The female, pup, has some issues going on so we think she does, but she's a German Shepherd, & some of them tend to have sensitive stomachs. Hopefully we figure it out soon. Glad your dog got relief.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hound - what brand of food did you choose for your pup?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Hound - what brand of food did you choose for your pup?

Blue Buffalo.

It's more expensive than the Costco brand we feed the other 2 dogs in our home, but he's worth it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I am glad you got him fixed. It's very painful and they really shouldn't puke unless something is wrong.

I HIGHLY recommend Gentle Giants. It's a non profit and 100% natural dog food.

I used to give my dogs the premium Costco food. They eat more of this food but have slimmed down and are healthier.

https://www.gentlegiantsdogfood.com/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post