SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100,000 Cigarettes Not Smoked
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100,000 Cigarettes Not Smoked Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
It would be interesting to know the TRUE amount of money the tobacco companies make. I find it somewhat surprising that in this enlightened age they are still in business. Considering the illness and death tobacco causes and the impact on our insurance and health system.

With alcohol a close #2.

For 2015, the most recent reporting year, the state (of New York) lost $1.63 billion because of untaxed sales, according to new figures released by analysts for the Tax Foundation and the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I was smoking 3-4 packs a day back in 1987 when I went cold turkey. That was Jan 7th, I've never touched a cigarette since. I do smoke about 5 cigars a week, fewer in the Winter.

I told my wife that quitting would help pay for a new boat, I lied, we got the boat but I kept the savings.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I quit a three-pack per day habit in 1982.

In round numbers that is 810,000 cigarettes worth nearly $141,000.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Great job. I just passed the eight year mark without the cancer sticks

Good job to both of you, however you did it.
The best reward is the lower risk you will suffer from lung cancer and all the other health problems caused by smoking.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Great job. I just passed the eight year mark without the cancer sticks

Good job to both of you, however you did it.
The best reward is the lower risk you will suffer from lung cancer and all the other health problems caused by smoking.

I did vape for about 6 months, slowly bringing the nicotine level down to zero. Vaping made it very easy to quit.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
thanks senza nome.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Savings is $31,332.

Next, calculate how much money you have to earn to keep $31k at your tax rate. Then calculate the hours you'd have to work to earn that much.

Congrats!

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I quit a three-pack per day habit in 1982.

In round numbers that is 810,000 cigarettes worth nearly $141,000.

3 packs a day from 1982!? Doubt you'd have made it through all 810k. Glad you quit!

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Wow, thats impressive.

Good thing I never began with that.

All my buddies in high school started smoking around 15. 10 years later they were struggling to quit.

What a horrible addiction. Now if only I could quit drinking.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
11 years on June 17. That's a lot of unsmoked smokes (148,812).

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
What makes me nervous is that before I didn't smoke those 100,000 I smoked 500,000.

quote:
When I quit smoking I started an Excel spreadsheet to track my progress. Years later I'm still updating the spreadsheet every couple of months. I'm also keeping up with current pricing to keep the sheet fairly accurate. I was a heavy smoker. This month I passed the mark for not smoking 100,000 cigarettes. Savings is $31,332. Now if I could just give up the hookers and blow.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear all the people that have given up on the smokes.

My mom died from lung cancer when I was 25, she was 47. I am now 47 and it is still painful that she is gone.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
When I was 14 years old, my dad talked to me about smoking. Said he knew a number of my friends were already smoking, and if I wanted to start it was OK, but I would have to buy my own.

Back then, a pack of smokes cost about 25 cents, the same as a box of 22 ammo. I decided I would rather shoot than smoke, which ended the question.

Over the years at an average of 30/day, I would have smoked about 734152 cancer sticks. No way to calculate the cost, but it would be substantial. Especially given today’s prices.

I figure that I would have spent about
$146,830 on cigarettes, which is about what we paid for this house when we bought it in 1985.

SWMBO also never smoked, so if I add in an equal amount for her, our total would be nearly $300K.

Not counting additional medical costs, periodic repainting the interior of the house, etc, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
EH, both my parents smoked. They told me that in due honesty they could not tell me not to begin, since they did it, but they strongly recommended that I never start. Since I hated the smell and the dirty ash trays, etc. I had no inclination to begin. I've never tried even one. Probably the most sensible decision I've ever made.

Congratulations to all above who have successfully quit the habit.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I quit smoking I started an Excel spreadsheet to track my progress. Years later I'm still updating the spreadsheet every couple of months. I'm also keeping up with current pricing to keep the sheet fairly accurate. I was a heavy smoker. This month I passed the mark for not smoking 100,000 cigarettes. Savings is $31,332. Now if I could just give up the hookers and blow.

Sir,
I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist. If you would be willing to share your documents with me, I would like to use them as a real life example when I teach smoking cessation classes.
Thanks
Eseaton
Esea2000@yahoo.com

Posts: 2476 | Location: E. of Mississippi River | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Mrs DF said think of what else you could buy with that 33,000.......

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so you will ! be around for the triple nickle club ,
good to know

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post