SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100,000 Cigarettes Not Smoked
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100,000 Cigarettes Not Smoked Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Just one pack a day - and many smokers do more than that - is close to $2000 a year. And we have relatively low cig taxes here. Imagine it in New York or other high-tax state.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I will also add one more thing.....

Reading the threads about smoking/tobacco use here on this forum had an influence on my decision to quit and stay with it.

Thanks for that.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
My wife and I were discussing how expensive smoking is today and were wondering how some heavy smokers can afford it at today's prices. Does anyone know just how much a pack of cigarettes costs in NYC today?

"The Health Department announced the new base price for a pack of smokes has gone up from $10.50 to $13." <- NYC

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
...base price for a pack of smokes has gone up from $10.50 to $13." <- NYC

Dayumn!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The Health Department announced the new base price for a pack of smokes has gone up from $10.50 to $13." <- NYC

By contrast, here, name-brand cigs are about $5.50, generics around $4.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking cigarettes when they were .30 cents a pack. (1974).

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Now if I could just give up the hookers and blow.

Why in the world would you want to do that?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My last smoke was in 1973 when I stepped off the ship returning from Vietnam. It was Christmas Eve and I was smoking 3 packs of Camels a day.

1,000,000 Camels are alive because of that decision. 50,000 packs or 5,000 cartons. That’s a ton of money and lung function.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
non smokers around you , thank you
You got that right!

Congratulations! Keep it up.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
My wife and I were discussing how expensive smoking is today and were wondering how some heavy smokers can afford it at today's prices. Does anyone know just how much a pack of cigarettes costs in NYC today?

When my parents sent me to the store to buy a carton of Luckies in the 1950s it was $1.83/carton--that was less than a penny a cigarette! Both my parents smoked and I absolutely hated it. I have never tried even one! Dad died with emphysema before he was 76; mom made it to 88.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I quit smoking cigarettes when they were .30 cents a pack. (1974).

I can relate. Part of the reason I quit (a small part, but still...) was that the commissary bumped cigarettes from $1.10 to $1.25 a carton (or numbers very similar to that) and that was plain highway robbery!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I quit in July of 1999 when I left active duty in th CG, on terminal leave...one of the best decisions I ever made.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I wish I had had the foresight to have done something similar. I smoked 2-3 packs a day for well over 20 years. I finally quit 10 years ago, but my wife couldn't kick the habit.

She did on May 22nd when she died of Lung Cancer. Frown

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your success.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know the TRUE amount of money the tobacco companies make. I find it somewhat surprising that in this enlightened age they are still in business. Considering the illness and death tobacco causes and the impact on our insurance and health system.

With alcohol a close #2.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't really care about the financial cost, but am curious about the longterm health effects of, say, a pack or two per week. I am otherwise super healthy, work out at least five days a week, eat right, do cardio, weights, etc. But I really enjoy a smoke once in a while.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
It would be interesting to know the TRUE amount of money the tobacco companies make. I find it somewhat surprising that in this enlightened age they are still in business. Considering the illness and death tobacco causes and the impact on our insurance and health system.

With alcohol a close #2.
Some of them bought food companies. R. J. Reynolds bought out Nabisco (but I think that has now been severed). Philip Morris bought Kraft. I was never comfortable with tobacco companies having anything to do with my food.

flashguy

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
My last smoke was in 1973 when I stepped off the ship returning from Vietnam.

Interesting reminder.

I never smoked (thanks to my parents for giving me something to rebel against), but in 1968-69 when I was there, cigarettes were $1.00 a carton (yes, 10¢ a pack—the same as a can of beer). A buck went a lot further in those days, but that was still extremely cheap for people who were getting hazardous duty pay and didn’t have much else to spend their money on. Although I never witnessed any of the supposed encouragements to smoke in the military during my career, there were very few restrictions. If I ever develop lung problems it will probably be due to having breathed other people’s smoke for 40+ years.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
100,000 Cigarettes definitely puts it in perspective.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I smoked about 10K Cigarettes, but that is nearly 40K Cigarettes not smoked ago.

SOOOOO fracking glad I quit when I did. Haven't had an urge in several years (used to get it when it was cold outside on a job).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post