SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An odd “side effect” of diabetes, mold in the toilet!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An odd “side effect” of diabetes, mold in the toilet! Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
EEEP! So, I’m noodling around on the web, reading up about diabetes, and I come across this video with this guy talking about mold in the toilet being a possible indicator of, at least, pre-diabetes. Apparently when a person can’t process glucose it gets dumped out of the body via urine. So, he contends, if you start having mold show up and continue to do so, in spite of cleaning the bowl religiously, you might want to go to your doctor and have him test you for diabetes. Eek

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! BTDT.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Despite religious cleaning??? I don’t know about that. Mold would probably grow faster with glucose present, but unless you’re peeing and not flushing for long periods of time (like days) I can’t imagine mold showing up where you could detect it. You’d normally flush enough of everything out to stop mold, I would think.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best explanation I've heard. I clean my toilet with Lime-Away every other day, still get black mold under the rim. I've been diabetic for 22 years.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
That was my clue. The doc said I was barely prediabetic. Lose some weight and it will not become diabetes. But I noted the mold ring about every three days and googled what would cause it. Also, I was having foamy urine in the bowl. And that I’m having fuzzy vision sometimes and fatigue. All are supposed symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

So my A1c was 5.7 and I’m having all these signs of diabetes. I bought a glucose meter and it said 479 the first day. Lowest I’ve seen so far is 221, that’s my typical reading now. Doctor still swears I’m not diabetic and won’t do anything so I am self treating as best I can for the last 3 months. Cut carbs,alcohol, and fast food way back and drinking a crap ton of water. Taking Berberine otc. Counting calories,but my knee is so hosed I can barely walk so no real working out so far. But I try to hit at least 5000 steps a day and work is some days active. I’m down from 345 to 314 since June first.

So yeah, I’d believe the mold thing.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
That was my clue. The doc said I was barely prediabetic. Lose some weight and it will not become diabetes. But I noted the mold ring about every three days and googled what would cause it. Also, I was having foamy urine in the bowl. And that I’m having fuzzy vision sometimes and fatigue. All are supposed symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

So my A1c was 5.7 and I’m having all these signs of diabetes. I bought a glucose meter and it said 479 the first day. Lowest I’ve seen so far is 221, that’s my typical reading now. Doctor still swears I’m not diabetic and won’t do anything so I am self treating as best I can for the last 3 months. Cut carbs,alcohol, and fast food way back and drinking a crap ton of water. Taking Berberine otc. Counting calories,but my knee is so hosed I can barely walk so no real working out so far. But I try to hit at least 5000 steps a day and work is some days active. I’m down from 345 to 314 since June first.

Sorry - A1c is in limits (which is important) , but you really need to see an Endocrinologist about your other glucose readings.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:

479 blood sugar would not make sense with a 5.7. A non diabetic typically never goes over 140 and a reading over 200 is typically only present in diabetics. Something is not right. I would log your blood sugars and tell your doctor.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Doc I’ll see if he (primary care) will give me a referral to see one. I’ve been kind of freaking out privately over this for a few months.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Not a guaranteed indicator. My last apartment I would get mold in the bowl and my bloodwork always shows perfectly ordinary.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
all people should get a finger stick every time they see a doctor. It's a nothing test. Many people have the betes for years before they realize it and it damages their bodies.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by House Stark:
The Only way of being find out a taking care of your bodies and frequent check ups. mold can be in the toilet for many reasons.

I am not suggesting that mold can’t and doesn’t occur for any number of reasons, I was merely pointing out what it can, occasionally, be indicative of. There was one instance mentioned that the poster spoke of testing the theory by having his family use the main bathroom while he used the guest bathroom exclusively. The mold occurred solely in the toilet he used.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
all people should get a finger stick every time they see a doctor. It's a nothing test. Many people have the betes for years before they realize it and it damages their bodies.

Only if they are fasting beforehand

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:

Only if they are fasting beforehand

Not fasting pricks are also useful to tell how high BG is going after meals.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:

You need to see another doctor. Even an urgent care. Cut all carbs to zero.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
What if the mold is causing your diabetes?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, but I think your Doctor is a nut job, you need to see a new one. I was diagnosed with diabetes last September when I had heart surgery. My A1C was well over 7.0, with glucose readings over 140. With a diet change, cutting carbs and ice cream, in addition to taking Metformin my daily glucose readings hardly ever go above 120, it usually in the 100 - 115 and my last A1C reading in June was 5.7.

Something doesn't jive with your numbers. Your A1C seems good, and I bet something went wrong when the test was done.
Get a new doctor and have the tests done again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
And there's the taste . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If you frequently have "ants in your pants" …

you might be a diabetic.

So how was diabetes recognized in the past? This is the part where ants come into play! A long, long time before urine test strips, blood glucose meters, & CGMs were even thought of, the tiny little insects were proof that someone had diabetes. Sounds weird, right? But it’s true! Seriously – this type of diagnosis can be traced back to the ancient Indians.

If you can imagine it, ants go wild when they stumble across anything sweet. Including sugar in urine. And there you have it: the old school diabetes diagnosis! In 6 AD, The Indian doctor Charaka called diabetes “Madhumeha” which translates to “honey urine.”

He described it like this:

You have a patient with a urinary flow like that of an elephant in heat whose urine is sweet like honey or sugar cane and attracts ants and insects.

https://mysugr.com/ants-with-diabetes/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a full blood work analysis done about every 6 months with my doctor. I've been Diabetic II for quite a few years. My last A1c was 6.4, the lowest it's been in a long time; my daily readings range from 90 to 130 (fasting).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also pre diabetic. I lost 50 pounds and work out every day. My last glucose was 110 but my A1C was 5.6. I take Berberine also, does it help? I get my blood work done every 3 months. I pay for it myself but I figure 70 bucks is worth it. Thanks for your help. John

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post