SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School Me on a 2003 Ford 4.6 Triton V8
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School Me on a 2003 Ford 4.6 Triton V8 Login/Join 
posted
We bought the pickup in KC and drove it to Utah. It ran great the entire drive. After we we here for about six months it started idling rough. I replaced the Idle Air Control valve and all was well. Add another six months and now the idle will fall to 500 rpm then pop to 1500 rpm. It almost seems like a vacuum leak but I can't hear any air leaks when it it running. It will sometimes stall when the rpm drops. Any ideas on where I should start my diagnostics from the forum's Ford experts?

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
VTC solenoid perhaps?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
First thing I do with a rough or ranging idle is to clean the crap out of the butterfly/throttle body.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Check for any stored codes (if no check engine light nothing is active). Go for the basics. Five things make a gas engine run: air, fuel, spark, valve timing, and compression (lots of subsets, but you get the idea). One of those is off (I realize this is a broad brush but always start with the basics).

Something as random as a pinched fuel line could cause what you describe. Does it happen cold, or warm, or all the time? The more information you can provide the easier it is to troubleshoot.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Something as random as a pinched fuel line could cause what you describe. Does it happen cold, or warm, or all the time? The more information you can provide the easier it is to troubleshoot.

Never cold. When the temp gauge is about halfway between stone cold and normal operating temperature and up to normal operating temperature the surging may or may not begin. That is what is maddening. It is typically at a traffic light in rush hour so I can't pull over to check it out. If I can keep it running the problem typically goes away (for a while) by the time I get to the next light.

The engine has about 160K miles on it.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd check the vacuum line to the PCV valve. The 90° elbow that steps the 5/8" intake manifold fitting down to a 3/8" line likes to split open. The fitting is on the upper rear of the intake manifold and the PCV valve is in the right (passenger side) valve cover. It has to be done largely by feel because the engine is far back against the firewall and partly under the windshield cowl. You might be able to hear it hissing when the engine is idling.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
If you can rule out cold it adds another piece. Most likely happening as it goes into closed loop. That is where you start to take info from the O2 sensors and fuel starts to be metered more precisely. It could still be a mechanicsl issue because in closed loop the computer adds enough fuel to possibly mask issues may be present.

It sucks to hear but try to gather exact info as to when this is happening. Listen, look. Does it occur right after warm up or after a hard pull? In drive or only when in gear and the foot on the brake. When it is happening and you accelerate does it stutter or pull forward smoothly?

Troubleshooting is an art, and unfortunately doing it over the internet sucks.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rented a smoker to test for the vacuum leaks. Turns out I didn't have just one... more like four. FYI, if you're like me and never used one, they are a huge time saver. I got them fixed and replaced the PCV. We'll see if that fixes the problem. I know it won't hurt. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Change pcv valve and clean throttle body. Easy to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Well? Did it?

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Have you replaced the battery or had to jump it lately? It might need to relearn it's idle. It doesn't sound like its the case but...

My Expedition had issues after a dead battery, mostly transmission hunting. Following the operators manual instructions cleared it all up. It's free to do and takes about 5 minutes.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the new Idle Air Control is fouled.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post