SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feeling thankful - Tree fell in front yard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeling thankful - Tree fell in front yard Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
We had a 40 foot Blue Spruce get knocked over by high wind gusts (it has been gusting to 40-50mph with white out conditions here today), but when it fell it didn't hurt the house.

It did bend the satellite dish some (knocking out satellite service), and temporarily blocked the front door. I grabbed my bow saw and had the wife and kids remove the debris from my limb cutting.

We now have full access to all of the doors in the house, the electricity is on (we have an all electric house), no windows were broken when the tree fell, and we have plenty of food.

Also we can get to the store and gas station if need be in our Tahoe.

I plan to offer the tree up as a donation to anyone who can use the wood.

I was not able to get my chain saw started, so I may have to take it to the Stihl dealer for some service since I haven't run it in a few years.

Anyway I am blessed that nobody was hurt, the house wasn't damaged, and my family has all its needs and many of its wants met.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We’ve had our share of high winds over the past few summers. We’ve had 2 deciduous trees snap off mid-trunk.

Towards the end of our mile, some folks have lost about half of their tall pine trees. Shallow roots and wet sandy soil. Luckily none have hit their house.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We’ve had our share of high winds over the past few summers. We’ve had 2 deciduous trees snap off mid-trunk.

Towards the end of our mile, some folks have lost about half of their tall pine trees. Shallow roots and wet sandy soil. Luckily none have hit their house.

That is what we have here.... sandy soil, and some of the tree roots were at the surface of the soil.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Reminds me I have to call a tree guy over.

Glad all is good. It could have done some damage.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Reminds me I have to call a tree guy over.

Glad all is good. It could have done some damage.

Thank you. Hope you get your tree taken care of inexpensively.

I plan to make an announcement at church tomorrow and figure that enough of the men will show with their teenage boys to help cut and remove the tree. The wood most likely will be used to heat someone's house. If I can't get help that way I will call a tree removal service to cut/remove the tree.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Got the quote for removal today.

It will be as much as a nice rifle with optics $1300.00.

Ouch!!!! Oh well at least the house didn't get damaged.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:

DaAAAAMN. A new Stihl chainsaw is much cheaper. If you were a bit closer, I'd come help.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is safe. Tree removal sure has gotten pricey over the last few years. Damn.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got very lucky.

I had a 40' palm tree fall in front of my eyes last year when Hurricane Irma passed. It lived about 17' from the front of my house. THANKFULLY it fell away from the house onto the street or it probably would've fallen right through my roof and landed on my living room floor as palm trees are all trunk except for the top and very heavy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
That's the sort of thing that can easily go the wrong way and be much worse.
The street I grew up on was lined with these huge elms, sadly all gone now... The one in front of our house came down after a storm. Smashed the (empty) carport, and just barely clipped the corner of the house.

That corner was my folk's bedroom, and my mom had her sewing machine right in that corner. One limb came through the roof and smashed the chair at her sewing table.

The chair she'd been sitting in thirty seconds earlier. She had gotten up because she though one of the kids was calling her. We were all asleep, and my dad was working that night. Guardian Angel if you ask me.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

My dad finally had an oak towering 2 ½ times taller than his home removed. He felt it was leaning closer every year. His regular guy billed $3,500 but dad also had prices over $6,000.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I tell ya I don't mind paying for the removal. Since I have a bum shoulder.

I am thankful no injuries to people or animals, and no damage to the house.

The satellite guy might have to fight the tree a bit to replace the dish, but the tree removal guy is going to cut out some of the tree today or tomorrow.

This may not happen all at once as we have a bunch of snow and more on the way. The tree service is going to leave the stump until better weather when they can come grind it out without dealing with a foot or more of snow.

Dave

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
After last year's hurricane I had 4 Jamaican Coconut palms that blew over - probably 25' high. Removal costs were quoted as high as $4K. I cut it up myself, including using a chain hoist to get the one out of the water at my dock (Crushed by seawall fence) - and used the truck to take the cut-up pieces to dump. Took a 3 day weekend and busted knuckles but saved the cost. Chainsaw got a workout.

Not sure if that is possible with your Spruce, but one option if you can find another strong back somewhere.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
That's the sort of thing that can easily go the wrong way and be much worse.
Yep. A good friend of mine lived 70 miles from the coast in a Houston suburb and evacuated for Hurricane Ike even though his home was many, many miles from evacuation zones. The reason he evacuated his family is that they had a nearly hundred foot tall pine tree in their backyard that made him nervous.

The neighbors called after Hurricane Ike passed and said a huge pine tree hand fallen through his house and was nearly to the street. A few days later, he arrived to inspect the damage and found the tree had tore completely through the 2nd story and the trunk had smashed the first floor living room couch in the place his daughter would normally sit. House was a total loss between the tree, wind, and water damage but his family was safe and he was insured.

The other lesson to learn is that he was underinsured by about $50k. Always a good idea to have the home insured for replacement cost or at the very least insured for the fair market value.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Glad you are safe.
Where are the pictures? Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24044 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...980089344#2980089344

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gee, for that much you can buy a new chainsaw, cut up the tree, donate the wood, and still have a nice sum of money left!

Or, you could just wait until you get your current saw running and use it. Save even more!.

I assume the tree was living, so the wood will not be burnable for a while.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Glad everyone is safe. Tree removal sure has gotten pricey over the last few years. Damn.

Yeah, a couple years ago, our neighbor had a tree drop across her driveway. She was quoted $1200 to remove it. She agreed, they cut a path through the middle of the tree to free up the driveway. Moved that chunk (8-9 feet long, about 20 inches thick) off the asphalt. And left! I ended up bucking up the tree, splitting and stacking the firewood beside our firewood pile in the backyard. Didn't charge her anything. Part of being a neighbor.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
A few blocks over there is an evergreen that snapped about four feet from ground level, must be at least 35 feet of tree across his yard that just missed his house. It was pretty windy a couple of nights ago around here, one of the casualties.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

DaAAAAMN. A new Stihl chainsaw is much cheaper. If you were a bit closer, I'd come help.

That’s kind of what I was thinking.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post