SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whole house surge protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whole house surge protection Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I was looking at getting whole-ouse surge protection since I recently lost a TV and a few electronics to a suspected power surge. With the weather in SW Florida during the summer being as stormy as it is, it seems prudent. Florida Power and Light offers it for $15/mo - but a leasing model doesn't seem to make sense. Is it possible to buy one and have it installed by an electrician separate from the power company? Has anyone done this?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes I install them all the time for my customers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware; the whole house surge protectors from the power companies may only cover major appliances. It is this way in Orlando. I have one and was in the written agreement.

After having a $7-8000 lightning strike, I am very sensitive to the subject. I now have high quality surge protectors on nearly all of my equipment.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Pro...Protection/index.htm

I will be adding one of these in our new house. We had one in our old house and was easy to install.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
Beware; the whole house surge protectors from the power companies may only cover major appliances. It is this way in Orlando. I have one and was in the written agreement.

After having a $7-8000 lightning strike, I am very sensitive to the subject. I now have high quality surge protectors on nearly all of my equipment.

I wouldn't ever count on getting a penny from the surge protector warranty. They are secondary to homeowners in almost every one I have read. Lightening is specifically excluded in every one I have seen too. No magic box can keep lightening at bay, hell you can travel back in time with lightening and a Delorean.

The best bet is to get a good quality surge protector for the house, and get several good quality point of use protectors as well at all electronics.

It's also not a bad idea to get one for subpanels as well as most surges come from within the house from motors turning on/off (A/C, Furnace, Dryers, Well Pumps, Washing Machines, etc.).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This is hands down the best article I have ever read on the subject. Even the comments at the end are helpful and accurate. This should tell you just about everything you need to know.

https://www.stevejenkins.com/b...se-surge-protection/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had one of these

installed when we had our service upgraded from 100A service with a fuse box to 200A service with a breaker panel.

Leviton 51120-1 120/240V Single-Phase Panel Mount Surge Protective Device

I guess it's doing it's job, as we haven't had any surges knock anything out since it was installed. Then again: We only ever had anything like that happen once before, when some guys under contract to the local electric company somehow got L1 and L2 reversed at one end up on the poles during an upgrade. (My wife heard one of 'em up on the pole yell "OH S**T!," there was a tremendous *BZZZZT* *SNAP* and everything went dark. We had several devices mysteriously die shortly after that. Next door neighbour had a surge suppressor strip actually start smoking one day.)

It seems to work to prevent elephant stampedes, malaria outbreaks and poltergeists too, as we haven't experienced any of those since it was installed, either Wink

More seriously: Understand the limitations of these things. E.g.: Lightning can be induced into your electrical system from a variety of points, not only your electrical service. And, even if it does come that way, the energies involved are substantial. Whole-house surge suppressors are economical insurance, but limited in their effectiveness.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
This is hands down the best article I have ever read on the subject. Even the comments at the end are helpful and accurate. This should tell you just about everything you need to know.

I read the article but my breaker panel is flush mounted in drywalled wall. I'm under the impression that the Eaton model is only for direct mount to the panel which means it won't work for me. Am I correct? If so, is there a breaker style surge protector you recommend?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
every major panel mfg. makes a breaker style one. Check your panel mfg. and get theirs as otherwise you have no UL approval. On Square D make sure if its a homelink or std. version panel.
Not quite as robust as the outside options but a big improvement.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Update:

My electrician wants to install a Ditek DTK-120/240HD2 at each panel (I have 2 panels) and a DITEK DTK-120/240CM+ at each subpanel (like for the pool equipment).

Anyone know if those are quality pieces of eqiupment?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lightening is specifically excluded in every one I have seen too. No magic box can keep lightening at bay, hell you can travel back in time with lightening and a Delorean.

This is the gospel from everyone including the experts at the UF.
The Tampa Bay area is called the lighting capital of the US, and we live near by. So lightning is our problem and from which we need protection.

We have had two major lightning induced strike in the last ten years.
I have the power company protection in the meter base, costs 9.95 month. The warrantee seems to cover major appliances.
I have sacrificial surge protectors on all of my electronics.

My experience is that induced surges are more likely here on the cable, sprinklers, and phone line and I have surge protectors on phone and cable.

I always disconnect the computer system from the cable when I am not using it because I have lost the APC twice due to lightning.

Sprinkler systems are a problem, The low voltage control wire is spread all over the yard and according to the sprinkler guys, there is no good way to protect it from induced surges, I have lost three controllers, wiring, and some zone valves. Golf courses here have similar problems but usually are confined to a single zone, however they use 120v zones.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

I read the article but my breaker panel is flush mounted in drywalled wall. I'm under the impression that the Eaton model is only for direct mount to the panel which means it won't work for me. Am I correct? If so, is there a breaker style surge protector you recommend?

Eaton flush mount plate.

It will likely end up below panel as there are usually less wires there and open knock outs.

For breaker style, what's your panel manufacturer? Each one is specific. They all have lower ratings and most/all only have 5yr warranty.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
For breaker style, what's your panel manufacturer? Each one is specific. They all have lower ratings and most/all only have 5yr warranty.
I have a Square D, and it’s the homeline style so I purchased this a few weeks back.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
I have a Square D, and it’s the homeline style so I purchased this a few weeks back.

That's the one I am using, on a similar panel.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post