SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever sell a car then miss it so bad you went and bought another 5 months later
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever sell a car then miss it so bad you went and bought another 5 months later Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
...I did. When I sold my 2011 BMW Z4 for a 4 series convertible I instantly regretted it. Don’t get me wrong the 4 series was great but it just wasn’t a roadster. It didn’t have that same sporty feel and glued to the road stance.

I have been toying with getting another for a few months and this one showed up yesterday at a local Mercedes dealership and I jumped on it. 2012 Z4 S drive 28i (twin turbo 4) with only 8k original miles. The previous owner drove it very seldomly. 8 speed auto and looks absolutely mint. They wanted close to $27k but I got them down to $24k and change.

Here she is. I feel like I have righted a wrong Big Grin

At the dealership

Home

Who else has had some car selling regrets?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regret ever selling my '73 Dodge Challenger, it was the car of my youth, and I never had so much fun in another.

Fast forward and we have a '17 Dodge Challenger. Although I will never have as much fun as my old one, I love it even more. ( Old man thoughts) Wink

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
It took me ten years to get another Pontiac 2+2, from 1976 to 1986

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8102 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same but I had 2 Mercedes in high school. An '82 240D my junior year, and an '82 300SD my senior year.

The 240 got totaled by an F150 & the 300 was sold when I went off to college.

Despite multiple attempts in the interim, mostly 190Es, never could make it work.

Fast forward 14 years & I now have another, a '15 C300 Sport.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes. Missed it when I left it, but it took me 35 years to get another.

You may not be able to go back, but you can always go sideways...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Very cool, I can’t imagine selling my ‘96 Z3. It is older and slower but it still brings me joy. ...roadsters have that feel and that look.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not me but my neighbor traded a car into the dealership. She missed that car so much she had her husband go down and buy it back from them... Big Grin

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My LR Disco......every time I see a nicely equipped on I almost buy another.

Then I slap myself.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1965 MGB in about 1971 or 1972. High mileage, needed an engine rebuild, but I was going back to college so after the rebuild I let my younger brother use it. He trashed the gearbox (a beautiful Moss 4-speed non-syncro 1st).

Less than a year later, I bought a 1968 or 1969 that was in much better shape, I thought. It was, too, except for the bent crankshaft which caused it to eat main bearings. Luckily, that one was wrecked (other driver's fault) a year or two later.

I learned my lesson, or at least I thought I did, but 30 years later I bought a high-mileage Mercedes 300E, and a few years later a 2001 C320. The first one was pretty good, the second was a POS.

I'm a slow learner.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
That’s nice. I was waiting for the new Z4. But when they said ragtop, I gave up and bought a 4 series for the hard top convertible. Yeah. It’s nice but it’s not a roadster. Couldn’t find a nice used Z4 in my area.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Isn't it more about the cars you wish you had owned, more than the cars that you had owned??
But I digress.

My mom always said that I got too emotionally attached to my cars. I had a few really cool cars while growing up. A '74 Cutlass Supreme when I was a senior in high school. The only thing that would have made that car better would have been T-Tops.
In college I had a '68 Camaro with a small block and 4 spd. manual. I owned it about 12 years, and sold it after our second daughter was born (Why, Why, Why???). That was an awesome car.
Around 1987 or so, I bought a 1980 IH Scout. I purchased it from the sales manager at Kile International in Nashville. He had ordered it from IH for himself, it had most every option that IH offered (it had factory A/C from an under dash unit). He told the story that he was informed of the IH small truck division's impending bankruptcy, and decided to place a custom order for himself before they shut down. As Scouts go, this one was set up very nicely. In the mid 90's, I finally succumbed to selling it to a friend who kept bugging me (and, at the time, I had 3 kids, with another on the way---We ended up with a total of six kids).

I've had quite a few other cars before, during and after the three I listed, but the above three are ones that I'd like to have back.
My current Honda Accord just doesn't have the same fun factor.

Anyway, I'm sort of searching for a 1982--1985 Toyota Supra in good condition, with a manual transmission, because I've always wanted one. So,......

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
That’s nice. I was waiting for the new Z4. But when they said ragtop, I gave up and bought a 4 series for the hard top convertible. Yeah. It’s nice but it’s not a roadster. Couldn’t find a nice used Z4 in my area.

Well that’s just hilarious because this one came from Ohio.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
1988 BMW 528e. I tried to replace it with a 2005 325i. Eventually I had to lose it for an auto when I was having issues with my joints and the clutch was kind of heavy. Man I miss the handling of the 528e.

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

That’s funny. I just left Fort Bragg and stopped in PA on my way back when I bought the 430. They said it was from somewhere south but wouldn’t elaborate. Life is weird. I’m liking the 4. My last was an ‘09 328.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's a nice pick up Dusty.

I kind of regret selling my 2004 Honda S2000 but given that the roads in Preston county resemble Berlin's in 1945 I couldn't consider having a nice car.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

That’s funny. I just left Fort Bragg and stopped in PA on my way back when I bought the 430. They said it was from somewhere south but wouldn’t elaborate. Life is weird. I’m liking the 4. My last was an ‘09 328.

The BMW connected app and capabilities is cool. I like being able to send my car a message with a nav destination so I don’t have to type it in manually.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I miss my Corvette don’t know if I will ever get another chance at one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wait! You bought an auto tranny car? I thought you were strictly a manual trans guy.

Beautiful car, enjoy.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first car was an 81 Malibu. Plain jane, 2 door. Not something anyone else would want, but I've been kicking myself since I sold it. Proceeds payed for my last year of college, but I miss that car.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes

2004-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

absolutely nothing special in the actual mechanical / automotive sense but the interior LAYOUT / design really appealed to me.

There were several features - because I used the car for work - that were very appealing. Plus - it was not very expensive at all

V6 - decent power / efficiency
wide opening rear doors
decent sound system
loved the layout of the steering wheel controls
very comfortable seats
auto remote start

ended up driving 3 of them before they went away - probably drove over 350k in those cars

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post