SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jesus ‘wouldn’t be riding a donkey’: Televangelist says God told him he needs $54M private plane
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Jesus ‘wouldn’t be riding a donkey’: Televangelist says God told him he needs $54M private plane Login/Join 
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
These "health, wealth and prosperity" preachers are con-men. God will deal with them one day and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. I feel for the older generation that send in money to these phonies for a "prayer napkin"...

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was up in North Carolina in the late 1990s and I saw a late night TV preacher hawking "No Evil Oil". This was a little vial of some benign substance which had been blessed. All one had to do in order to keep evil at bay was to anoint their self with a bit of this oil. I recorded it. Somewhere around here is an aging VHS tape...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I read a Proverb a day and today was Proverb 30 which says, in part:

quote:

“There are those who curse their fathers
and do not bless their mothers;
those who are pure in their own eyes
and yet are not cleansed of their filth;
those whose eyes are ever so haughty,
whose glances are so disdainful;
those whose teeth are swords
and whose jaws are set with knives
to devour the poor from the earth
and the needy from among mankind.

“The leech has two daughters.
‘Give! Give!’ they cry.

How is this not the likes of Jesse Duplantis?

Justin Peters has a very biblically sound discernment ministry and has spent considerable amount of time exposing these jokers. Here is a vido that, in part, profiles Jesse Duplantis. (Peters has cerebral palsy and has some interesting videos out there of him exposing charlatan "faith healers.")

Skip to 19:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDmjFPFFJc

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
What I'm saying is that even if this preacher gets a new plane, and by the way that is a very expensive plane to operate, even if he manages to pay cash for it, the monthly fixed costs will be probably $100K or more.

He's not paying for anything. He's conned other fools into paying for his lavish lifestyle.

I say tax them all. They're using God as a means to get rich and live big.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Rhino, is there anything that you're not cynical about?
I’m sure there is, but I haven’t found it yet.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, you need to try.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was up in North Carolina in the late 1990s and I saw a late night TV preacher hawking "No Evil Oil". This was a little vial of some benign substance which had been blessed. All one had to do in order to keep evil at bay was to anoint their self with a bit of this oil. I recorded it. Somewhere around here is an aging VHS tape...

There have been commercials on television recently of Peter Popoff hawking "miracle water", he claims that great monetary wealth will be yours by using it. How it is utilized is not mentioned in the ad, whether it is drunk or applied to the skin, etc. Reminds me of the "prayer cloth" Oral Roberts peddled many years ago, except it was supposed to deal with physical maladies, such as arthritis and so on.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
What I'm saying is that even if this preacher gets a new plane, and by the way that is a very expensive plane to operate, even if he manages to pay cash for it, the monthly fixed costs will be probably $100K or more.

He's not paying for anything. He's conned other fools into paying for his lavish lifestyle.

I say tax them all. They're using God as a means to get rich and live big.

It is hard to con someone when you are telling them exactly what you want the money for.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It is sad, although it has been done for a long time, people using God as a reason for this or that. Between this guy and Olsteen, I don't know which is worse.When you try to pull one over on God, He already knows your heart and we will be held accountable for what we do. I don't believe these are "men of God" by any means.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
It is hard to con someone when you are telling them exactly what you want the money for.
Except when you are supposed to be a conduit to God for people who trust you. If you have these people convinced that God is speaking to you and you alone, they're hooked. That is the con.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Benny Hinn is another big one. Waiving his coat, "healing" people. Curiously you never see him doing that in a child's cancer ward. Ironically, Costi Hinn, his nephew, is also in the ministry and is biblically sound. He's come out against his uncle's ministry. Costi stated that growing up it was like being in a mafia family. No one ever told anyone about Benny's true nature.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
God only speaks to people through his holy word. Everything you need to know and hear from him is in the Bible. Anyone that says "God spoke to me the other night and said blah, blah blah" is a fake. Sure, he can change your heart and guide your actions by following his word and through the holy spirit but, physical speaking doesn't happen.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Except when you are supposed to be a conduit to God for people who trust you. If you have these people convinced that God is speaking to you and you alone, they're hooked. That is the con.

I’ll give you that to an extent. I have never paid attention to his actual message. I just see that he is forth coming with exactly why he wants the money. Big expensive toys for him to use. So if his message is specifically I am the only one who gets to hear God so give me all your money sure a con I guess it would be.
If not folks know good and well their money are going to these big money items.
Not condoning his actions just saying at least he is honest about where the money is going.

Not saying he will take the money to some kids in need etc and never mention him buying a 54 million dollar jet.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
God only speaks to people through his holy word. Everything you need to know and hear from him is in the Bible. Anyone that says "God spoke to me the other night and said blah, blah blah" is a fake. Sure, he can change your heart and guide your actions by following his word and through the holy spirit but, physical speaking doesn't happen.

So what about all the folks that God specifically spoke to in Scripture, mainly the Old Testament? Did God stop talking to people because we now have Him as a part of us with the Holy Spirit??

I am not fully in the boat of God not talking to people anymore. Is it the Days of Moses, Noah, etc where they actually hear the voice of God give them direction, no.
I do think God puts thoughts in our minds or gives us gut feelings on things we should do or not do.

I have had times in life where I just had a feeling to do something or give someone a call and things very beneficial ether to myself or them happened that would have never happened had I not had some inkling to do it.

————————————————

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Bible is allegory. This is lost on most people, which is how we get people handling snakes in religious ceremonies. God has never "spoken" to any man. Only self-absorbed humans could conceive of such a thing; in all the vastness of this universe, God is speaking directly to you, you little gnat? Hardly.

At the Last Supper, when Jesus gave the disciples wine and said "this is my blood" and gave them bread and said "this is my body", should his words be taken literally?

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the Last Supper, when Jesus gave the disciples wine and said "this is my blood" and gave them bread and said "this is my body", should his words be taken literally?

Yes.

But then, I'm Catholic.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You believe that Jesus was handing out cups of his blood and pieces of his body. Terrific. Which parts of his body was Jesus passing around?

See, this is the problem with the Bible- misinterpretation.

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
The Roman Catholic view of transsubstantiation is not held among Protestant or Reform theologians.

The last supper is meant to continue among believers as an ongoing periodic remembrance of the bodily sacrifice and literal death, burial, and subsequent resurrection of Christ. He is the only propitiation for the sin of mankind.

So because His work is completed, the need for ongoing transsubstantiation has no biblical merit and is thus a man made construct.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"Tell him, Ray..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Bible is allegory. This is lost on most people, which is how we get people handling snakes in religious ceremonies. God has never "spoken" to any man. Only self-absorbed humans could conceive of such a thing; in all the vastness of this universe, God is speaking directly to you, you little gnat? Hardly.

I don't know where to start.

You are about as wrong as you can be.

You don't seem to understand anything of the Bible.

----------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post