SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jesus ‘wouldn’t be riding a donkey’: Televangelist says God told him he needs $54M private plane
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Jesus ‘wouldn’t be riding a donkey’: Televangelist says God told him he needs $54M private plane Login/Join 
posted
Like he says he cannot talk to God on a commercial airliner.

Jesse Duplantis Ministries has three private jets, but Duplantis needs one more.

After all, as the televangelist who preaches the controversial "prosperity gospel" explained to his followers in a video last week, if Jesus Christ walked the earth today, "he wouldn't be riding a donkey."

There's just one thing: To buy that $54 million private jet (Duplantis has his eye on a Dassault Falcon 7x), the Louisiana preacher needs his followers to donate money to the cause. As for those aforementioned three jets, the most recent of which was purchased in 2006, the ministry has been "just burning them up for the Lord Jesus Christ," Duplantis said in the video, per NOLA.com.

The Falcon 7x, with a range of 5,950 nautical miles, is needed "so we can go anywhere in the world in one stop," he explained. None of his other jets can do that.

Duplantis told his followers that God told him, "I want you to believe in me for a Falcon 7X." He said viewers should "pray about becoming a partner to it."

He addressed the possible controversial nature of his request, per WGNO: "Now some people believe that preachers shouldn’t have jets. I really believe that preachers ought to go on every available voice, every available outlet, to get this gospel preached to the world."

He has defended his use of private planes in the past in what the Washington Post calls a "widely mocked" video in which he and another preacher said, among other things, that you can't speak openly to God on a commercial airliner.

Photo of Jesse Duplantis' home (Google Street View)

Duplantis, who has a church just outside New Orleans, also owns one of the largest homes in St. Charles Parish; it has 22,039 square feet of living space and 12,947 square feet of outdoor patios, garages, and other amenities.

LINK: http://wgntv.com/2018/05/30/je...ds-54m-private-plane

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In the 1990s, I had a close friend who was devout Christian and watched Duplantis' telecasts, well, religiously. Consequently, I had a chance to hear Duplantis. He certainly seemed like the real deal back then. I should have known better.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
It is true he would not be riding a donkey. He'd be riding a T-Rex.

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
... if Jesus Christ walked the earth today, "he wouldn't be riding a donkey."

Probably not, but I think He might find something in between a donkey and a multi-million-dollar private jet paid for by others.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
John 2:14-16
14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Jesus Christ walked the earth today, "he wouldn't be riding a donkey."

That's correct. He'd Uber.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31383 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of person Jesus spoke about in Matthew 7:21-23

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

And then Jesus pulls a lever to a trapdoor...

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, when my family church was in the location where it was built back in the late 1800's (Livernois & Morse in Detroit), the parsonage was built next to and connected to the church. The Pastor always lived there,and drove the church vehicle (typically a donated car or can). I never remember any of them having any money to speak of. They served the congregation,and donations kept the building in repair, food on his plate, and cloths on his back. That was it. It's how I thought it was and was supposed to be.

Eventually membership dwindled and the Church was sold. The area was really bad then anyway so not a bad thing really.

I think it's time the tax breaks be abolished so profiteers like these guys can pay their fair share. Trust me, they are in it to get rich and religion is a tax free gateway to get people to part with hard earned cash. Nothing more

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Beat me to it. These guys will stand in rags at the Judgement Seat and pay most dearly for their wickedness.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Report This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
His house is just a couple of miles from us in Ormond Estates. His ministry also owns a city block right in the middle of Ormond estates. That's where his headquarters are located.

Property in Ormond isn't cheap.

He seems to be real good at taking money in and spending it.

I guess God wanted to him to have the biggest house in the parish. I haven't seen a bigger one. Might as well get the jet.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 620 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
He’s heard The Word, from Rev. Ike.

“The best thing you can do for the poor is not be one of them.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Something tells me this "preacher" forgot what Jesus told the rich young man who asked him how to receive eternal life.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I can't stand these asshole. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
As much as I detest these charlatans, it's the fools who send them their money that really disgust me.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Beat me to it. These guys will stand in rags at the Judgement Seat and pay most dearly for their wickedness.

Agree 100%.

-----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just another used car salesman who figured out a more profitable racket.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW, it's not just the cost of the jet. The monthly fixed operating cost is a lot of dollars that must be paid.

I'm not wealthy but my now deceased brother in law was a very wealthy oilman, *NOT* my side of the family. He owned several jets and I became familiar to the cost of having one sitting at the airport and not really being flown.

When he passed away he still had his jet. Between hangar costs, plane insurance, 2 pilots on payroll with full benefits, other misc costs was right at $45,000 a month. That was parked and not flying. The plane was put up for sale but still had to fly once a month to keep the systems working. Maintenance still had to be done. Demo flights were paid by the estate for prospective buyers, etc. Equipment maintenance cycles accrue and must be performed when due, that's a big expense too. The plane was flown once a month no matter what just to keep it going in top shape.

It's a bad idea and dire circumstance to park a plane and ignore it, costs go through the roof, you just really can't do that.

What I'm saying is that even if this preacher gets a new plane, and by the way that is a very expensive plane to operate, even if he manages to pay cash for it, the monthly fixed costs will be probably $100K or more. Monthly payments of that size/cost jet are ginormous! And who has ever heard of a televangelists jet being repo'ed?

There are several of these big time televangelists with multiple high dollar mega jets, houses, etc. There is no public accounting, that I know of, of their finances, cash flow, income, financial abuse, etc. I think you know what I mean.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
There are several of these big time televangelists with multiple high dollar mega jets, houses, etc. There is no public accounting, that I know of, of their finances, cash flow, income, financial abuse, etc. I think you know what I mean.

There are private organizations that audit charitable organizations and publish their findings so that people can check and see if they're being scammed or not.

One such organization

The thing is, just as voters who consistently vote Democrat WILL NOT examine the actions of members of the Democrat Party, the rubes who send their money to these charlatans WILL NOT check them out. It's a willful ignorance that is inexplicable.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

There are private organizations that audit charitable organizations and publish their findings so that people can check and see if they're being scammed or not.

One such organization

The thing is, just as voters who consistently vote Democrat WILL NOT examine the actions of members of the Democrat Party, the rubes who send their money to these charlatans WILL NOT check them out. It's a willful ignorance that is inexplicable.

Humorous comment: I attend a local church that is quite large. Every so often a local TV reporter decides to investigate local preachers who live in rather large and expensive homes, more than one would expect. My preacher just laughs at the reporter and tells him/her to go talk to his wife and ask her about their finances. His wife politely tells the reporter that her Dad was a very wealthy local businessman who left her a LOT of money and to check it out on local public records. He married very well. Not a scandal at all.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post