SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our porches are falling apart
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our porches are falling apart Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
We've been trying for three years to get a contractor to show up to replace our porches. They are in disrepair. The front one was concrete and the side is like a small wooden deck (built in 2004) that has seen better days. The concrete is probably over 70 years old and the top is crumbline and the side deck is rotting.

We couldn't wait any longer and decided to do it ourselves with the help of a friend. We got the deck of the front porch finished. City ordinances say we have to apply for a permit to add the roof so that part is going to have to wait until I can get one. Hopefully this week.

The old porches:

The new trex front porch (railing and steps to be done sometime this week):

The wife is concerned about cutting into the current metal roof to add the porch roof. I'm concerned about having to reroute the downspouts to keep water out of the front yard.

Any advice for adding the roof to the front porch is extremely welcome. The current downspout is to the right and goes underground to the back yard. I really don't want water in the front yard as it causes basement issues.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Where are you going to put the rocking chairs?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Where are you going to put the rocking chairs?
Out towards the front.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
If you leave it the way it is, you can practice your field goals. Big Grin

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not criticizing by any means but I would be concerned with the shallow angle that your roof will have . You don't have a lot of clearance above the door to give it a steep pitch . Am I looking at it wrong ?

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm not criticizing by any means but I would be concerned with the shallow angle that your roof will have . You don't have a lot of clearance above the door to give it a steep pitch . Am I looking at it wrong ?
The plan is to cut into the existing roof to allow for a better angle.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be full cover? Would something like a pergola suffice? That would be an easy way to alleviate roof/runoff/drainage concerns.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mark, I’m sorry, all I can see is an amazing lawn. My God, it is beautiful. When I lived in Washington, where it always rained, my lawn never looked 1/10 that good. Incredible.

Nice work on the porch, but I can’t stop staring at the lawn.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Mark, I’m sorry, all I can see is an amazing lawn. My God, it is beautiful. When I lived in Washington, where it always rained, my lawn never looked 1/10 that good. Incredible.

Nice work on the porch, but I can’t stop staring at the lawn.
God bless you, friend. Lawn fertilizing is my business. I very much appreciate being noticed. The first picture has the ugly bentgrass patches. I'm still working on those.

posted Hide Post
I would NOT cut into the existing roof. I'd have it but up against the roof perhaps with a slight gap and seal the gap with 5200 or other kind of sealant. But certainly would not cut into the roof.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I would NOT cut into the existing roof. I'd have it but up against the roof perhaps with a slight gap and seal the gap with 5200 or other kind of sealant. But certainly would not cut into the roof.
There's not enough room between the door and the eaves.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Are you going to do the trusses for the new cover and cut into the roof yourself?

That's pretty gutsy... has to be right, as to the gutter, It probably could be shortened to end at the new roofline, it would look better and you'd need a downspout on both corners of the house.

Just a question, why not extend that patio to the end of the house under the big window. It would give you a nice place to put your chairs, sit, play your guitar and have a cold beverage.

Either way, it looks like a nice start to the project.

Note you could remove the shrubs and run it all the way to the edge of the drive, eliminate the sidewalk and have a full covered porch or partially covered...

Anywho good luck!

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thread drift...

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
The first picture has the ugly bentgrass patches. I'm still working on those.

In a word: Tenacity™. It's expensive, but it works. We had bent grass all over the place and it was slowly taking over, as bent grass will.

After one application, late-summer-before-last, there's very little left. I'll nail what little remains later this summer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Thread drift...

quote:
The first picture has the ugly bentgrass patches. I'm still working on those.

In a word: Tenacity™. It's expensive, but it works. We had bent grass all over the place and it was slowly taking over, as bent grass will.

After one application, late-summer-before-last, there's very little left. I'll nail what little remains later this summer.
I have some. I think I'd rather deal with it slowly thanks to have a white lawn. Big Grin

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first picture has the ugly bentgrass patches.

?!? And I thought that was a lawn-map of the US! Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
[Weed control thread drift...]
quote:
I have some. I think I'd rather deal with it slowly thanks to have a white lawn. Big Grin

I believe Tenacity will turn only the bent grass white? I only spot-treated with it, but I don't recall the surrounding "rough" turning white.

I also used it to eradicate an infestation of nimblewill coming up in one corner of the yard. (At one time I think our lawn had at least one of everything Big Grin.) Don't recall it affecting the surrounding turf, there, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would call the roofing contractor who put the metal roof on the house and let them do it.
The metal roof on the house may be under warrantee from the installer or the manufacturer and if you tie into it it may void it.
They hopefully should be able to do it and guarantee against leaks I would hope.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
If it were me I would call the roofing contractor who put the metal roof on the house and let them do it. ...

quote:
We've been trying for three years to get a contractor to show up to replace our porches. ...
He is one of the contractors we've been trying to get to show up. I paid him the day he put the roof on. He just must not want any more of my money.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Does it have to be full cover? Would something like a pergola suffice? That would be an easy way to alleviate roof/runoff/drainage concerns.
I think this may be what we are going to do. Thanks.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good for you Mark. Glad your friend was able to help.
I am a huge advocate of doing it yourself or like in this case at least participate.

I hate the whole hire an expert argument. Jallen and I used to battle over that. That was one of his mantra's.

Let the experts screw the next person, not you.

It is different if you have someone you know and trust. Most do not and they do get screwed by "your expert."

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post