SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airbnb or VRBO?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airbnb or VRBO? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
Do any of you rent your houses/condos? I wonder which of these is better to work with and which provide a higher quality guest? Pros and cons of each? Thanks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of people who use Airb&b and they seem happy with it. Never heard of the other outfit you mention.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VRBO

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
VRBO was founded in '95, and Air BnB was founded in '08.

I've rented thru VRBO in Hawaii, and was pleased. At the time, VRBO had a lot more properties in Hawaii than Air BnB.

Here is a good article more in line with what the OP is looking for.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I manage 1 vacation rental house for an owner. It seems that VRBO screens their tenants better than Airbnb. However, there is no reason one cannot rent it on both sites, providing you are proactive on blocking out the dates immediately on the other site after someone rents the house on 1 site.

Also, we rent no less than 1 week at a time. I know of another house that rents nightly for $1000 a night (5bed/5bath) and it's always rented by party types for 2 nights on the weekend. I've seen a dozen sorority girls rent it one weekend. Another time, by 15 college guys for the weekend.

Make sure you comply with the local City requirements and also here we have to pay the local hotel tax on the rentals.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
We have used VRBO many times to rent houses in the Keys.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, fellas!

tatortodd, thanks for the link! I just gave it a quick scan, but will read it more thoroughly later.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We rent a place in Huntington Beach annually through VBRO and they are a very easy to work with, everything is electronic but happens exactly how it should and deposits are returned quickly after check out.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
I have rented my places with both. I have had much better results with Airbnb. It seems that VRBO is stronger for longer rentals in heavily vacationed areas but I would say that Airbnb has taken a big bite of that as well.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I have a house rented in Texas through VRBO for Christmas. The initial transaction was painless and I pay the final balance the day before my rental starts.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have used both several times. As a renter, there is no real difference in the experience and often we see homes cross posted on both sites. I can't comment on the property owner experience with either.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have rented from both as well, and found no difference. Like others note above, I tend to use VRBO for longer-term stays, and Airbnb for one or two night stays, but nothing says you have to.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post