SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So "I" looked at the base Ford Ranger today. Extra cab XL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So "I" looked at the base Ford Ranger today. Extra cab XL Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Cars and trucks have outpaced inflation because the cars and trucks themselves are getting better. They are safer, handle better, and produce more power from more reliable engines at greater efficiency. Some of that stuff is tangible, like side curtain airbags. Others, less tangible, like the R&D time to build in crumple zones for crash mitigation. Some of it is even unwanted--I don't want a satellite receiver and a cell phone transmitter (satellite radio, OnStar) or even a screen based InfoTainment System with GPS. But it's there. It's literally, what people ask for in focus groups and with their pocket books.

Trucks might suffer more than cars in price increases because trucks, for the vast majority of truck buyers, are a either a lifestyle choice or a business necessity. In both cases, people suck it up and just spend the extra money. They also have more performance metrics to tick off than cars. A car has to drive well and be safe, but a truck has to do both those things, plus provide decent load, tow, ground clearance as well.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Backup cameras to keep people from running over their children. Lane assist because of alcoholics and texters. Back seat monitors to stop cooking the kids. Brake assist for those who would rather drive a 12 oz. phone instead of a 4,700 pound vehicle...

They have to tack on a whole lot more crap on vehicles now because driving is no longer a priority to some.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Backup cameras to keep people from running over their children. Lane assist because of alcoholics and texters. Back seat monitors to stop cooking the kids. Brake assist for those who would rather drive a 12 oz. phone instead of a 4,700 pound vehicle...

They have to tack on a whole lot more crap on vehicles now because driving is no longer a priority to some.

I find a back up camera incredibly useful on my truck. Getting the ball under the hitch solo has never been easier. It in no way impedes my ability to drive. I don't have any of the other gadgets you mentioned.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Is it just me, or have new truck prices far outpaced normal inflation? Thirteen years ago, 26G bought me a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner with all the bells and whistles (except 4WD). I mean V6, automatic, power everything, a 110V power inverter, electric locking rear diff, etc. Now it gets a stripped Ranger, and then only after protracted negotiations. Short of winning the whole Powerball jackpot or Publishers Clearinghouse knocking on my door, it looks like no more new trucks in my lifetime.

(The above should not be taken as a slam on the OP or his possible choice of truck. I'm just ranting.Smile)

My wife refers to this phenomenon is the "penis tax." I'm still driving my 93 Ranger. Honestly, I've given up owning another truck. Was in the dealership while my wife got her oil changed and they had a late model jet black Impala with a v6. I could go for that.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new Ranger SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat last week. Every avail factory option except tonneau cover, bed extender, engine block heater, and keypad entry.

Stickered at $46430, bought for $37500+TL. Ain’t cheap but it is a lot of truck. Tow capacity of 7500 lbs.

That is about the same as what I paid new for my 2015 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 XLT whose only option was a tow package.

Yes, it is truck but it is also a daily driver. No reason to suffer when not doing “truck stuff”, and when doing “truck stuff” the additional amenities don’t get in the way.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post