SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So "I" looked at the base Ford Ranger today. Extra cab XL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So "I" looked at the base Ford Ranger today. Extra cab XL Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
There is a local Ford dealer not to far away from some of my family in the area where I live. Drove thru their lot and they had one. Bare bones version. White, basic interior, 2 door vinyl floor, etc. Sticker was $29600. Guessing you could get for $25K?

I am not in the market, although I would like to be Smile

Was just curious and like to keep somewhat informed on how the domestic truck market is progressing.

This would be the type of truck I would buy (base model) if I were to be in the market.

Overall I think Ford will do pretty well with this rig. Time will tell.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for a Ranger Raptor. (fingers crossed)

Definitely would not be $25K.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or have new truck prices far outpaced normal inflation? Thirteen years ago, 26G bought me a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner with all the bells and whistles (except 4WD). I mean V6, automatic, power everything, a 110V power inverter, electric locking rear diff, etc. Now it gets a stripped Ranger, and then only after protracted negotiations. Short of winning the whole Powerball jackpot or Publishers Clearinghouse knocking on my door, it looks like no more new trucks in my lifetime.

(The above should not be taken as a slam on the OP or his possible choice of truck. I'm just ranting.Smile)

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trucks are the main source of profit for major auto makers. Their added costs basically subsidize their pricing on economy cars. Thats why they've gotten so expensive.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Is it just me, or have new truck prices far outpaced normal inflation? Thirteen years ago, 26G bought me a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner with all the bells and whistles (except 4WD). I mean V6, automatic, power everything, a 110V power inverter, electric locking rear diff, etc. Now it gets a stripped Ranger, and then only after protracted negotiations. Short of winning the whole Powerball jackpot or Publishers Clearinghouse knocking on my door, it looks like no more new trucks in my lifetime.

(The above should not be taken as a slam on the OP or his possible choice of truck. I'm just ranting.Smile)

Preach.

I like trucks, but have basically given up on them, mostly due to crazy new/used pricing and poor fuel economy.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Short of winning the whole Powerball jackpot or Publishers Clearinghouse knocking on my door, it looks like no more new trucks in my lifetime.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I've been window shopping for a while and would love to have a new truck but I can't justify paying these prices for a vehicle.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it just me, or have new truck prices far outpaced normal inflation?

My 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport extended cab with V8, 5spd was 20k new. Cloth seats. I think it's you.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Bare bones version. White, basic interior, 2 door vinyl floor, etc.

A Ranger XL set up like that I'd ordinarily think fleet model. Surprised it was on the lot.

Truck prices have gone nuts. Last truck I bought was during the '08 financial crisis. New but leftover F150 STX 2wd shortbed for <$17.5K even after driving it back from a dealer in FL.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
$19,500 auto, all power options, bluetooth etc.

https://www.maxieprice.com/veh...ck-1GCHSBEA3K1332036

Ford is poop

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I don't think I mentioned it but this unit was a 4wd also.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it just me, or have new truck prices far outpaced normal inflation? Thirteen years ago, 26G bought me a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner...

$30K seems like a lot of money for a stripped down truck with no creature comforts.

According to my US inflation calculator, my old 1996 Tacoma purchased new for $11,500 would cost $19,000 today.

Egregore’s Tacoma purchased in 2006 for $26,000 would cost $33,000 today.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
New truck prices have gone through the roof in the last 10 years because of high demand.

Notice how car prices have remained reasonable during the same time period.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ford got caught knowingly installing defective transmissions and denying they were garbage.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Ford got caught knowingly installing defective transmissions and denying they were garbage.

And....GM knowingly installed defective ignition switches for years after they were aware they were killing people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...ition_switch_recalls

GM has been murdering people for decades.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Trucks are the main source of profit for major auto makers. Their added costs basically subsidize their pricing on economy cars. Thats why they've gotten so expensive.

The demand for them enables them to sell for more profit per unit than small cars. People want them, and they want them all gussied up; they can get a higher price.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

All new vehicles cost a fortune these days especially trucks and SUV'S. I was looking at a new Toyota Tundra and they are all above 40k, close to 50k if you get the crew cab with all the bells and whistles. My 2010 Tundra SR5 w/4 wheel drive only cost me 33k 9 years ago but with current prices I can't even afford to look at a new truck and I don't like buying used because you never know how poorly a vehicle has been treated or maintained.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree, my 2008 expedition eddie bauer stickered at $39,650. My 2018 limited (comparable model) stickered at $66,450. It's crazy. You can thank the EPA for some of it. Twin turbo eco boost and aluminum body both cost a lot more, and ford went to those to help boost mileage. But still, the increases are well a lot more than inflation.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought a new 2019 Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 double cab manual loaded for $34,500+TTL. Sticker was almost $40K. This is a vehicle that has the best resale of any vehicle.

So if you factor in inflation and my truck is a 4x4, I'd say truck prices have been fair.

However a Jeep Rubicon Gladiator pick-up will crack $60K, which is completely ridiculous.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It is all relative guys to a degree. It is a truck.

For me, as jhe put it. All gussied up. I do not need all the stuff on a truck or do I need fancy decals, etc. To me it is a truck. I use it as one. Tow with it. drive it in places that have gravel, dirt, etc. I do not purposely drive it through rough condition's for the heck of it. But at times I need to get some where and it needs to be up to the task.

So a base truck is fine. One like this one that is 4wd and AC is perfect. I really do not need much else other than reliability.

So in today's market $25k seems like a decent price.

Paying 35K or more for one of these rigs. Whether Toyota, Chevy, or Ford. Seem's nuts to me. And than add the additional cost of the financing and then you are off the charts nuts just to get the privilege of going somewhere in something shiny. And just about everyone does it. But to each his own. Wink

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

All new vehicles cost a fortune these days especially trucks and SUV'S. I was looking at a new Toyota Tundra and they are all above 40k, close to 50k if you get the crew cab with all the bells and whistles. My 2010 Tundra SR5 w/4 wheel drive only cost me 33k 9 years ago but with current prices I can't even afford to look at a new truck and I don't like buying used because you never know how poorly a vehicle has been treated or maintained.

Tell me about it, I just got a new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Sticker was $44k and not even close to the top of the line Rubicon price wise.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post