SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire straps for UTV securement on trailer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire straps for UTV securement on trailer? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking at a set of tire straps for my UTV to tie it down to the trailer. It would be lots easier than getting the tie down hooks placed on the machine. I’ll be installing E Track on the deck.

Good idea?

I leave the machine in neutral and put 4 straps on it now. More of a shifting issue than a tie down against the suspension.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
This is how I tie down my big zero turn. My tires are wide enough that when you tighten them down they sink a bit into the tire to prevent the machine from moving sideways. If your tires are too hard/narrow for this you may want to consider one of the strap types that harnesses over and around the sides at the same time.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The ones I’m looking at are more of a net style so it goes over and on both sides of the tire a bit.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I just use a couple of the one inch nylon straps with hooks on the end. Haven't had one slide off the trailer yet.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
^ that’s what I use now but the front tie downs are a pain to hook.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I just use a couple of the one inch nylon straps with hooks on the end. Haven't had one slide off the trailer yet.

What happens if you get some slack and the hooks come undone?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

What happens if you get some slack and the hooks come undone?

Pretty unlikely if you've got four ratchet straps that pull down on the suspension a bit.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I have a 4-wheeler so less weight. I use tie down straps with the ratchet. I didn't have a good tie down point in front but the rail on the trailer is an L shaped piece of steel. I drilled a hole for the hook to go into.

If you have a friend that welds, he could add something for the hook to go into.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Hook points on the machine, not the trailer, are my issue. I don’t crank it down against the suspension really, more of a position anchorage. Mainly to keep it centered and from moving in either direction.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I haul my side by side on a trailer all the time and just use two 1 inch ratchet straps. One on each axle. Don't over think this.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
^^ What Bass says don't overthink it. I have a utv and use just a couple ratchet straps. Don't hook to any part of the suspension. I hook the front one to the plow mount and the rear one to the receiver hitch. Never a problem. Friend of mine never even straps his down. Drives it up on the trailer put it in park and off he goes he's never had a problem either.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've never used tire straps, so I'm having a hard time understanding how they would be easier especially if you have to install E-track to use them. For our Kubota RTV 900s, I pull 5/8 nylon 3-stand tied to the front corner on one side of the trailer over the area where to brush guard mounts on the RTV, through the loop on the other side of the trailer and then back though a loop in the rope itself. This gives me a 2-1 pull and I tighten then tie it off. For the back, one strap from each side of the trailer and around the axle on each side. I do the same for the ZTR mower and our ATVs.

What I wouldn't do is not strap it down at all. Accidents happen and your load needs to be secure.

Posts: 10901 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The front tie downs on my RZR are a pain, the hooks go in ok but are hard to get out especially when the mud dries. They are also a stretch to reach on my trailer set up. The back is super easy however.

I strap or tie down pretty much everything. I’ve not had an issue. It’s not bad now I’m just lookin at a more convenient way, especially with the snow plow mounted.

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
We tie down motorcycles using Softies and tie down straps. The Softies make it much easier to find places on the bike to attach. Just wrap the Softie around a part of the vehicle's frame and loop it through itself. Then attach the hook of the tie down strap to the loop on the Softie.
Softies from Wal-Mart

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/...wn-bonnet-62807.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:

The bad thing about that is needing two tie down points per tire.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bad thing about that is needing two tie down points per tire.

E-Track makes that real easy. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I didn't even know "securement" was a word. Learn something every day on Sigforum.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://www.macscustomtiedowns...-Inch-Ratchet-Straps

https://www.macscustomtiedowns...-Inch-Ratchet-Straps

Going with a pair of each. The soft loop end will actually attach to the trailer rail.

posted Hide Post
E-Track is great. Pair with some of these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-D...rickson/EM09160.html

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post