SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fried Chicken Gizzards (aka (for some): fried rubber bands)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fried Chicken Gizzards (aka (for some): fried rubber bands) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Anyone else a fan of fried chicken gizzards?

When I was growing up, mom would fry up the gizzard, heart, and liver (double yuck BTW) of the chicken. My dad loved the gizzard and when my younger brothers and I realized dad loved them, that meant they must be goooood. Mom realized this (she and one of my brothers loved the heart, only she ate the liver though) and soon had to buy a pint or two when we had chicken.

Once stationed at a squadron on NAS North Island, I had a Filipino ABH2 working for me who would buy them from the bowling ally. She and I were the only two in the squadron who loved them. I truly wish the NASNI bowling ally still sold them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I don't care for them. Gizzards are a staple in some family-style restaurants here in the South, along with fried fatback.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Nope, you can keep them gizzards. Chicken livers ain't too bad.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
In the 1980's, the world's best spicy gizzards could be found in a little hole-in-the-wall barbeque joint in Denver's 5 Points area. Were heavenly!

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loves me some gizzards, but ours are always in gravy, never had them fried, but my guess is I would love them!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Livers, fried soft, especially Danny's.

Gizzards? Nope. rubbery, grit filled sacks of nasty.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope! Livers nope! Hearts nope! Brains nope! Feet nope!

Never could get a taste of any of them. Mom was a big fan and her and my dad would fix them up. Just not for me!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My mom made gizzards & hearts in gravy and put it over waffles. I still crave it. Real po' folks food.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gizzards I could take or leave. Good fried livers with some Louisiana hot sauce and a quart of cold beer I can eat my weight in.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Gizzards need to be simmered for a long time in order to not be so rubbery.

Now chicken livers... There's a rather sophisticated chain of restaurants in Baltimore called Hip-Hop Fish and Chicken. They have some pretty darn good fried chicken livers. I can eat my weight in those!

JP

Posts: 2047 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't care for them.

My least favorite are the chicken "knuckles" (knees?) you find breaded and fried in Japan.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
there's a lot of stuff I just don't like....this is a whole collection just don't beckon to my palette

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I love all 3 fried. Sometimes I can't wait and just pop them in my mouth raw while waiting for the deep frier to heat up. Just kidding on the second part. Smile

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I love chicken hearts but do not enjoy the chewy crunch of gizzards.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I kid you not..... In my town, if the concession stand at the home H.S. football game runs out, you almost want riot gear... I have volunteered to cook/ fry before and thought it was all over when we ran out of propane on one of the fryers!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You could actually get fried chicken livers at KFC way back when, they were pretty damn good.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Big fan of hearts and feet (best soup/stock ever), but not so much the gizzards. Good flavor but too rubbery.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My dad liked the gizzards, and the necks, too. I don't like either.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you get them.
If they are rubbery, they are over-cooked.

We have a local place that does them just right and we support the habit. Dipped in the gravy, I will accept the heart attack readily.
Smile

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
You should try rooster fries! Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post