SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2016 Tacoma - DRL Inop & High Beam Stuck On
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016 Tacoma - DRL Inop & High Beam Stuck On Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
"Car Sitting" for my brother-in-law while he's out of town.
His 2016 Tacoma has had inop DRLs for a while & we just noticed that the high beams are stuck on.

Disconnected the battery for a bit & hooked it back up (his suggestion, as this has apparently happened before) & no dice, high beams come right back on.

Any other Tacoma owners had this happen? Or know if it's a quick fix at the dealer?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about Tacoma's, but it sounds to me like the stick on the steering wheel that you pull to engage the high beams.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the switch. I was thinking DRL might likely not work because the headlight switch is broken keeping brights selected.

Anyone with a similar vehicle can check by selecting high beams while they can see their headlights (against glass or something reflective).
I am thinking the 'flash to pass' feature is stuck on. On another (functioning, working) Toyota, do the DRL's go off when this is pulled with the headlight off? I'd bet they do.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Negative, does nothing. It is in the off & low beam position. High beams stay on no matter what position it's in.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Negative, does nothing. It is in the off & low beam position. High beams stay on no matter what position it's in.

As I'm sure it would, if it's stuck as you posited.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:

As I'm sure it would, if it's stuck as you posited.

Was responding to Jimmy above.
Google isn't returning much on newer Tacomas. Only things I've seen so far, are to replace the headlight stalk, or the ECU.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The stalk is BY FAR the most common culprit for this kind of problem on any vehicle.

By the way, whoever suggested an ECU for this symptom is an idiot. Stay away from their advice.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
The stalk is BY FAR the most common culprit for this kind of problem on any vehicle.

By the way, whoever suggested an ECU for this symptom is an idiot. Stay away from their advice.

Was some Toyota forum, bad p9n on the ECU killed their drls.

posted Hide Post
I found online that the DRLs only turn on your front brights on a low setting. So with the headlights stuck on they won't work.

Also found that Toyota uses some special DRL ecu or something that can go faulty.

I'd pull the fuses and drop it off at the dealer. It's gotta be under warranty, right?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I found online that the DRLs only turn on your front brights on a low setting. So with the headlights stuck on they won't work.

Also found that Toyota uses some special DRL ecu or something that can go faulty.

I'd pull the fuses and drop it off at the dealer. It's gotta be under warranty, right?

Should still be under warranty. Not my truck though & the b-i-l says he'll take care of it when he returns, in 3 weeks.

Also, his has the independent LED strip instead of the high beams on dim, for drls.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Should still be under warranty. Not my truck though & the b-i-l says he'll take care of it when he returns, in 3 weeks.

Also, his has the independent LED strip instead of the high beams on dim, for drls.

Gotcha. I will try to find the thread on a Tacoma forum breaking it down because I guess different models have different light switch functions. Is his the TRD?

Googling this it seems like Toyota has a decent amount of DRL problems. I hate DRL's.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the high-beam indicator on the dash lit?

Are the taillights lit?

Are you sure you can tell the DRLs from the high beams?(If they use the same bulbs.) Have someone pull the high beams on while you watch the bulb.

There may be a relay that sorts out these functions. Might be bad?

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotcha. I will try to find the thread on a Tacoma forum breaking it down because I guess different models have different light switch functions. Is his the TRD?

Googling this it seems like Toyota has a decent amount of DRL problems. I hate DRL's.

It's a TRD Sport ext cab V6 2wd automatic.

quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Is the high-beam indicator on the dash lit?

Are the taillights lit?

Are you sure you can tell the DRLs from the high beams?(If they use the same bulbs.) Have someone pull the high beams on while you watch the bulb.

Only the high beams are on, no other lights lit.
As mentioned above, it uses a separate LED strip for the DRLs, not the high beam bulb at low intensity.

posted Hide Post
Are you familiar with tacomaworld.com? Great forum for Tacos. You'll get good help/advice there.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about Tacoma's, so I won't guess.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:

I think this is definitely worth pursuing. If there is a relay, it'll probably in the fuse box(es). If so, pull it to see if the headlights go off. If they do, grab Mr. Fluke and check for voltage present at the socket relay coil connections. If no voltage for the coil but the lights go off when the relay is pulled, you may have relay contacts that have welded. That would then raise the question of whether the headlights are original or has he replaced them with some super-duper high current lamps? By then, you should know which way to go.

Also, just out of curiosity, does the headlamp switch have an AUTO option in addition to the parking light, headlights, and off positions? I know you said it's currently in the OFF position but does it have an AUTO option?

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I also have a 16 Tacoma.
Fortunately no issues with it.
Wouldn't your situation be covered under the 3year/36k warantee?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
Also, just out of curiosity, does the headlamp switch have an AUTO option in addition to the parking light, headlights, and off positions? I know you said it's currently in the OFF position but does it have an AUTO option?

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

Headlight options are: Off | DRL | Park | Headlights

No AUTO option on this one.

quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
I also have a 16 Tacoma.
Fortunately no issues with it.
Wouldn't your situation be covered under the 3year/36k warantee?

Likely still under warranty. Like I said, it's my brother-in-law's truck. It's in my driveway for a month while he's out of town for work.
I'd take it in for him, but his response was to just unhook the battery & he'll deal with it when he gets home. Confused

posted Hide Post
Isn't the truck under warranty??????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post