SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer problems Login/Join 
posted
Last week my wife started having problems with her computer I have narrowed it down to a trogen, her computer is locked up and has not been turned on in several days, our desk top is having the same problem. My iPad is so far not affected, any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dwright1951 .
Get one of your mates to download Avast Free and burn it to a Disc or USB - chuck it in the burner or usb port and run it . If no joy get them to grab Bit Defender ( also Free ) for you and try it . One of them should clean it for you .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So what make you think it is a "trogen"?

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

This ^^^^^

What, in detail, are the symptoms?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Process of elimination. There were no Trojans in the neighborhood.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked with my internet supplier and they said that that was the likely cause.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will get my son to burn those two programs and we will give it a shot, thanks for the ideas.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Your internet provider may or may not know what they are talking about. I suggest you describe the symptoms to the folks here as they actually care about trying to help. Your provider at best likely determined there was no issue with your internet connection and just wanted to get rid of you.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you sure about that? Greeks can be pretty sneaky.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Are you sure about that? Greeks can be pretty sneaky.

Look, if we built this large wooden badger...

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok both computers say that there is a problem with “bit defender threat scanner”, both are locked up. There is also a web address C:\Windows\TEMP\BitDefender Threat scanner.dmp
My wife’s computer also had a message to call Microsoft and gave a phone number and she was told that it would cost $200 to get someone to look at the problem then it asked for a credit card number.
Neither computer has been turned on in several days.
Hope that helps to define the problem. Thanks in advance David

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Ignore the "messages" - download Malwarebytes and run it.
If you are having some popups getting in your way then go to safe mode first.
Sounds like Fake AV (somewhat related to CNN).

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost 75 cents to one of those trojen machines in the gas station mens room.

Good luck, lots of good advice on this subject.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I lost 75 cents to one of those trojen machines in the gas station mens room.

Good luck, lots of good advice on this subject.
Glow in the dark kind?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well we lucked out Ms Skins computer went down Monday. Came home a circuit was tripped. Later she says her computer isn't working. Check it out, nothing from power supply. Call mom's BF up who is great with computers, ask him if I need to know anything important before I buy new one. He tells me he's got a pile at his house he'll run one over after work.

Comes over, instead of leaving on the doorstep of handing it off and splitting he helped me install it. Took 1/2 hour, it would have taken two or three times as long for me. Old one had females plugs on back and new had it's own power cables. Had to pull all the old ones, and use pre-wired ones. One didn't have enough right angle connectors so we had to move the optical drive closer to make another one reach. Why she has five freaking drives and an optical drive I don't know but major pain in the ass.

Not that you'll ever see this, but thank you so much for your help tonight Scott!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Instructions on how to scan with Malwarebytes in Safe Mode here: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/...r-infected-computer/

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post