SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for airline approved pistol case
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for airline approved pistol case Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Looks like we will be flying down to Orlando in October. I'm going to take my glock 19. What do you guys recommend for a case. I'm currently looking at a pelican IM2050. Would this work or is there a better option? I don't care about being water tight and pressure valve.

Also looking to get good locks for it. I realize that with enough time anything can be broken into. My intent to make it as difficult as possible so it will be passed over by the baggage handlers.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Every time I travelled with my pistol, I locked it in the case it came in from the manufacturer, Sig, HK etc. and placed it in the suitcase which was also locked.

No problems whatsoever.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Pelican for many years, very durable with space for dual padlocks. I use two long shackle master locks that are keyed alike and a bicycle security cable looped around the inside frame of the suitcase to secure the gun case to the suitcase. I also use a Pelican micro case for my magazines

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Pelican makes an excellent case. That I will say. I've had a 1510 that I use as a camera bag as a pro for the past 3 years. That said, they're kinda pricey. It was easy to justify $140 for $7500 in camera equipment, but I'm finding it hard to justify a $200 case for a $400 rifle at the moment.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:I'm currently looking at a pelican IM2050. Would this work or is there a better option? I don't care about being water tight and pressure valve.

That's the Storm case right?

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:I'm currently looking at a pelican IM2050. Would this work or is there a better option? I don't care about being water tight and pressure valve.

I believe so. Is there a difference?

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A Pelican 1150 will fit a G19 and a spare mag perfectly while taking up little space. As for locks any non-TSA padlock will do. All they do is keep people honest, they won't stop an actual thief. They'll just take the case and open it later.

I have one of these. We used these for some going away gifts and they fit one pistol perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight (yeah I know), sells an almost exact copy of the Pelican cases under a Apache brand that will fit handguns for about $15 for the smallest one which is perfect for travel packing inside your suitcase. Yes I have real Pelican cases too, but for a pistol, they are just as good. The main difference is that the Pelican's have an automatic pressure release valve vs a manual one. No big deal for pistols, not like a gun is going to get hurt because of pressure differentials. The price of this case for the quality you get cannot be beat. I do own both the small Apache cases and several older Pelican cases (although larger). The Pelicans does have the better pressure valve, but that's meaningless for a gun. I just keep it locked down.

Here's a review head to head with Pelican cases:

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another vote for Pelican

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a small Pelican-ish case, which I lock with 2 padlocks and then I cable lock it to the frame of a regular suitcase, which gets declared and checked.

That way the case doesn’t stand out, it’s just another piece of luggage to the TSA / helper goons.

I also have a couple of pistols that I really don’t care much about (Walther PPS, 442, etc) which are my travel guns - they have <10rd capacity in case I’m in Commie states and if they’re stolen by the TSA creeps, I really don’t give a shit (other than ensuring I get compensated).

Or if my return travel plans get cancelled, there is another 9-11 type even which ground airlines, etc - I’m ok to drive back without any real difficulty (yes, I know you can invoke transit passage laws but it’s just easier to have a gun you can actually use while traveling, IAW the laws of the state you have to go through).

JMO, has worked well for me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Looks like we will be flying down to Orlando in October. I'm going to take my glock 19.

Just realize it’s going to be like summer in the Midwest in October in Central FL.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

I believe so. Is there a difference?

The latches are better on the Storm cases and the edges are better molded. You can get into the minutia of plastic quality and roto-molding but, ultimately its the quality of latches and the number of them.
For the rifle-sized cases, Storm cases are the best. The Storm's have more latches, which reduces the areas of entry, the Pelican's are easier to get into by prying the ends (no latches) apart and slipping the rifle out.
Storm is Pelican's premium line. Pelican bought Storm's parent Hardigg back in '09; Pelican had the distribution and name, while Hardigg had the quality.

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Looks like we will be flying down to Orlando in October. I'm going to take my glock 19.

Just realize it’s going to be like summer in the Midwest in October in Central FL.

Yeah, we've been to FL 5 or 6 times. Usually in the fall or winter. Last time there, we were in Miami in January. It was hot and very humid!

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If it is simply for securing for your flight, I have a case I use similar to this. I put it in my luggage and then put a TSA lock on my luggage. I never had a problem in all the years I traveled a TON flying all over the country with firearms.

After I arrived to my destination, I did not worry about a case because the firearm was always on me.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
If it is simply for securing for your flight, I have a case I use similar to this. I put it in my luggage and then put a TSA lock on my luggage. I never had a problem in all the years I traveled a TON flying all over the country with firearms.

I use a very similar case. The only difference is the one I use has a combination lock instead of a keyed lock. I've flown numerous times with it. I secure it inside of the suitcase with the included cable looped around the internal frame of the suitcase, and a TSA lock on the zipper of the suitcase.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, we've been to FL 5 or 6 times. Usually in the fall or winter. Last time there, we were in Miami in January. It was hot and very humid!
Just making sure!

Have fun!

posted Hide Post
I use triangle-shaped cases; they take up half the room in a bag.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Pelican. I have used a model 1170 to secure a S&W 642 and box of ammo.

I recently bought an Explorer Cases case, model 3005. Two revolvers (a S&W 642 and 60 w/ 3" barrel) fit nicely. The quality is comparable to Pelican.
Pro: The case isn't as fat as Pelicans.
Con: The latches are stiff.

I recommend MyCaseBuilder for custom foam.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Every time I travelled with my pistol, I locked it in the case it came in from the manufacturer, Sig, HK etc. and placed it in the suitcase which was also locked.

No problems whatsoever.

This is generally good advice, but....

I did the same thing up until about six months ago. I had a SIG factory case and had locks on both of the handles. And then a Southwest employee told me that the gun has to be secure, and pried open the side of the case because of the flimsy plastic. They had to call over a TSA agent, and a Southwest supervisor who finally said the case was ok.

I went and purchased a Pelican case shortly there after. As much as I fly with guns, I'm not going to get caught flying out of somewhere and miss my flight due to the whims of an airline employee who for whatever reason wants to make a big deal about a flimsy case.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's help. I think ill go with the Pelican case. Looks like they run around $50 for a pistol case.