SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ha. I was right about salt, too.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ha. I was right about salt, too. Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Whose salt you eat, whose song you sing.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Eat 5 pounds of red meat a day and it will be a problem.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Heartbeats theory: When you are born, your heartbeats are written in The Book. Use them wisely.

So wouldn't that mean you would be better off being a still and calm as possible so as to never raise your heart rate? Someone running for an hour with a bpm of 140 will use up twice as many beats as the person sitting on the couch with a heart rate of 70.

It may not be quite that simple, but there seem to be a few more studies recently that would indicate that intense cardio in middle age and beyond is not a good thing.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may not be quite that simple, but there seem to be a few more studies recently that would indicate that intense cardio in middle age and beyond is not a good thing.

But think of the shape you'll be in when you kick the bucket. Razz Now, we don't want to go too far in the other direction and be couch potatoes, of course. This goes back to the moderation thing.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
According to climate nazis once science is settled it never changes! Roll Eyes

Moderation is key. Eat 5 pounds of red meat a day and it will be a problem. Having a steak in moderation is not a problem. Same with salt, cake or any other food.

I have been in the Moderation camp for a long time!

I also believe in quality. It's why we actually cook more and buy less processed stuff. That's the main reason we've been butter people instead of margarine. I read ingredient labels all the time, and thoroughly enjoy when I know what all of them are and where they come from.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1186 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Heartbeats theory: When you are born, your heartbeats are written in The Book. Use them wisely.

So wouldn't that mean you would be better off being a still and calm as possible so as to never raise your heart rate?

Yes!

quote:

Doctor Sum Ting Wong

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart only good for so many beats, and that it...don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Guess I may be doing it wrong, then, because, when I'm on my full exercise regimen, I do High Intensity Interval Training, where I raise my heart rate to between 95% and 100% of its maximum, in intervals, for a half hour, twice a week.

I'm 66 years old and have been doing that for about ten years.

(Checks... Still ticking...)

The GP I used to have heard something she didn't like when she did a routine check-up a few years ago. Did an EKG. Saw something she didn't like. Sent me in for a heart echo check. Tech, after a while, asks, in a puzzled tone "Why did your doc refer you?" "I dunno. Heard something in her stethoscope, saw something on an EKG." "Are you a runner?" the tech asked. "Not a runner, per se," I answered, "but, I do HIIT twice-a-week." "Well, that explains it," she replied.

Results of the heart echo came back negative.

If your cardiovascular system is up to it, I find it hard to believe intense cardio would be bad for you. That seems to me to be, quite honestly, nonsensical.

As for the salt: It's always been my understanding that the main problem is salt increases water retention and excessive hydration can raise your blood pressure. So limiting salt intake should be considered if you have high blood pressure.

Don't we have a cardio doc on staff, here?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post